Next Manager after Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to understand the culture at Barcelona and there are a few books to get some insight. They promote their own, look at who is there right now. Txiki had played with Pep and allowed him into the Barcelona B and promoted him to the first team. Look at who followed him. Vilanova also from La Masia and Pep’s assistent. Luis Enrique played for Barcelona and managed Barcelona B as well. Ernesto Valverde played for Barcelona. Koeman played for Barcelona. Xavi played for Barcelona. This isn’t the Txiki way, it’s the Barcelona way. We are not that. I see absolutely no reason to appoint Vieira. Someone may give him a chance at a higher level but I doubt it will be us. We will pick someone based on style but also on experience and success. It could be Vieira at some point but he won’t come from Palace to us straight away

I don't need to read books about Barca, thanks. They have been my favourite Spanish team since Cryuff went there as a player and I used to watch them play (albeit on TV) almost as much as City when Pep was manager.

City will appoint whoever they think is best suited to the job; whether that one day proves to be PV or not remains to be seen but he wasn't given a coaching role at City and then the Head Coach's role at NYC without City thinking he had potential.

Fans of every club always dream about ex players coming to manage them. It’s gone on all my life. Whether it’s Neville to Man United, Rosler to City, Viera to Arsenal, Gerard to Liverpool…whatever. They’ve all been nailed on to happen as soon as the junior manager starts.

I can think of twice when it happened in my life: Lanpard to Chelsea and Solskeir to United and both were disasters. The reason is because that “club connection” thing is just romance; it’s irrelevant.

When Pep leaves City will get the best manager available and will not be taking any chances whatsoever because we are a well run club. It’s impossible to say who that is right now because we don’t know who’s available.

Cryuff, Enrique & Pep at Barca; Ancelotti & Capello at Milan; Zidane at Madrid - all UCL or European Cup winners.

City won't make an appointment based on romance but using former players is not entirely fanciful. City are trying to create a way of doing things and having a manager with that instilled in them has a logic. As Gus kindly explained, Barca do it and the City way has taken obvious inspiration from that source.

Any appointment has to have the right level of talent and we don't yet know if a Vinny or Vieira or Gundogan or KDB... will be good enough to one day take on the mantle of managing City.

We also have no real clue as to how long Pep will stay so it's a bit like trying to hit a moving target whilst blindfolded.

Fans of every club always dream about ex players coming to manage them. It’s gone on all my life. Whether it’s Neville to Man United, Rosler to City, Viera to Arsenal, Gerard to Liverpool…whatever. They’ve all been nailed on to happen as soon as the junior manager starts.

I can think of twice when it happened in my life: Lanpard to Chelsea and Solskeir to United and both were disasters. The reason is because that “club connection” thing is just romance; it’s irrelevant.

When Pep leaves City will get the best manager available and will not be taking any chances whatsoever because we are a well run club. It’s impossible to say who that is right now because we don’t know who’s available.
Even more impossible, as we don't know when Pep will leave either.

I suspect he'll stick around until we have found the right man,almost certainly having huge input on the decision.

I fancy Vinnie may be doing a slippy G cutting his teeth in Belgium then taking over Burnley to show he can manage in England as the championship is a tough league

Not seen many people name Partick Vieira former player , managed Man City EDS , New York City and also done a good job at Crystal Palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.