NHS being recommended 1% pay rise

It's something you have to take in relative to cost of living. The average English council tax bill this year will increase by 3.9%, for example, so there's an obvious mismatch.

Didn't expect any more to be honest, but as our cost of living will increase by more than 1% its not great. On the other hand, plenty of people losing their jobs or getting no increase, so again, all relative. We'll tighten our belts, spend less, and if the pattern repeats, the economy may stutter. Good job to the economy doesn't need a boost right now, eh?

You clearly don't.

I do, for their role and efforts. It can't be a blanket approach though, an NHS admin clerk for example shouldn't be demanding the same pay rise as a surgeon or theatre staff who've genuinely been on the frontline.

I worked throughout the pandemic, on a reduced salary for some of it. Including long periods on hospital sites and wards as a contractor. Doesn't put me in the same bracket as genuine frontline staff risking their own health and their families' every day treating Covid patients. These people probably do deserve a substantial pay rise or an increase in annual leave entitlement.

There seems to be an attitude creeping in this year of "I worked through the pandemic, I deserve a pay rise" in jobs such as the NHS and other public sector jobs. I've seen that with my own eyes in the environments that I work in. I recently felt devalued and underpaid, had done since before the pandemic, so I resigned and found a new role elsewhere with a better package. There's loads of work out there, it's about knowing your worth and realising you are a number; who's body will be replaced before it's gone cold, wherever you work. You can't have your cake and eat it in life.

It's something you have to take in relative to cost of living. The average English council tax bill this year will increase by 3.9%, for example, so there's an obvious mismatch.

Didn't expect any more to be honest, but as our cost of living will increase by more than 1% its not great. On the other hand, plenty of people losing their jobs or getting no increase, so again, all relative. We'll tighten our belts, spend less, and if the pattern repeats, the economy may stutter. Good job to the economy doesn't need a boost right now, eh?
Thats my plan too
I will be pulling back from everything now except City
no more book here or CD or pair of jeans etc

As some have said, pretty hard to see how over the next 2/3 years they can commit to any significant pay rises. Its going to be a difficult time for so many over the next few years and i dont think many people are immune from that. However, what the NHS has done for the country along with other public services deserves to be rewarded and the government should comit long term over the next 5/10 years to address that.

Some shocking answers in this thread and give it 5 days before the government do a U turn.

The only comparable situation the last year has is that of a war, the front line NHS staff have been working in horrendous conditions understaffed, poorly equipped for much of the opening months and having to make up for some dreadful incompetence at the leadership level.

Their reward an effective pay cut.

When the chips were down last year the people who got us out of the shit, NHS, teachers and scientists had a chance to be rewarded and recognised and got fuck all. This pandemic should have removed the scales from the eyes, we reward our most important workers with pittance.

There is something badly wrong there.

Thats my plan too
I will be pulling back from everything now except City
no more book here or CD or pair of jeans etc
Yes it stinks of value at £56 a game, but we do get to see Mr Whippy in action : /

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.