NHS Crisis

Nope.

1. Far, far too many managers who live a 9 to 5, Mon to Fri way of life. Oh, and waaayyyyy too many managers.
2. Absolutely phenomenal rates of sickness absence - shocking levels that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else.
3. Outrageous pay enhancements for 'unsocial' hours.
4. Patients taking the piss:
- people using ambulances who don't need one.
- people attending a&e with headaches/toothache/minor cuts and abrasions.
5. Being ripped off by private companies for goods and services.
6. Oh, and let's not forget PFI......

Spot on malg, the amount of managers is staggering, talk about too many cooks.

Work in the non medical side of things in the NHS and the levels of waste are staggering, PFI was/is a farce and the private companies such as Sodexo are bleeding the NHS dry as a result. You have employment agencies doing the same with locum medical staff required and high levels of long term sick are commonplace this resulting in the need for agency staff.The workload has increased and more patients are being seen but with no real increase in admin staff. Much as I'd love to blame the Tories and Labour as I despise both the blame for this mess isn't completely their responsibility, bad management is equally to blame.
Ultimately, isn't the Secretary of State for Health responsible?

All this thread needs are pitchforks and torches.

Unfortunately I think there are too many distractions to stop people's anger and co-operation reaching that point nowadays. Conspiracy theorists (amongst others) go on about those in power subduing us into this state but it's in circumstances like this where those in power are shown to be practically untouchable. Our voting power doesn't cut it clearly.

I meant support services sorry you know, facilities
As in caretaker?
Anyway, it sounds very much like you work in an academy. Many of them aren't there for this children, they are there to make money for their trusts.
The biggest ever fuck up in education was allowing / forcing schools to be academies.

Ultimately, isn't the Secretary of State for Health responsible?

All this thread needs are pitchforks and torches.

Unfortunately I think there are too many distractions to stop people's anger and co-operation reaching that point nowadays. Conspiracy theorists (amongst others) go on about those in power subduing us into this state but it's in circumstances like this where those in power are shown to be practically untouchable. Our voting power doesn't cut it clearly.

You are probably right that the buck ultimately stops with them but the levels of incompetence below beggars belief. It's a toss up between those running health and the MOD as to who are the most incompetent and wasteful.

Very much pal,its an horrendous job these days,getting away from it has made a hell of a difference to my life - i have clarity again,and i'm in a very happy and healthy place.

FI - I've worked for NWAS since 2008 and have worked all the areas bar Cumbria. It's not a horrendous job as you put it it's just none stop. I do agree that it can effect people but I feel as fresh as a daisy - you can only do one job at once! I will say it's not the 'proper' jobs that get me down but the amount of time wasters we get. You may get fucked around in NWAS but I'm ex Royal - I was fucked about by professionals then - NWAS merely play at it!! And hilts if you do still want to get on they advertise for staff all the time. Oh and I've never heard of assistant paramedic!!

Last edited:
Pretty much spot on. It's not the number of managers, but the number of bad managers.

I've worked for the NHS at various sites, and currently as an independent IT consultant. It's a really nice organisation to work for as a consultant because they treat you like staff - that is, no pressure. The sad thing is I sense an air of defeat in a lot of the departments. And some of the IT providers know this and get away with selling all sorts of badly-written software to them.

Good post willy. I know what you mean about getting worn out and sense of defeat. People stop suggesting improvements too when they feel their views aren't being heard.

I think there's a particular problem in North Manchester where too many IT initiatives have been given the go ahead in the hospitals that are not integrated. I've had a few dealings with with the main Trust and some of the IT staff get pissed off with this.

I also agree with you about people being expected to negotiate outside their competence on IT related matters. This has been part of the problem with national
NHS initiatives as well changing spec
Mid projects that in some cases has cost billions.

Systematically run down a public service and then claim the only way for it to improve is through private ownership and us paying for the privilege.

Classic Tory policy in play here and im only surprised that people are surprised by it.

If not me, my kids will be paying for health insurance in their lifetimes as we mirror the USA!

Well that sounds better run than individual trusts fannying about.

Like has been said in the last few pages it probably isn't over magement, but bad managers, I work in Education in the service sector and the last 5 years has been a shift from the tried and tested model of educational people runing the place to a seperation of the business side and the curiculum side, it has left us with massive cuts in budgets and staffing levels from the execs while an expected higher standard of service and delivery from the curiculum heads to meet ofsted targets, resulting in curiculum and support staff under presure to deliver the same stadards with less resources and a demoralised workforce which still will work as hard as possible to deliver but feeling no love for the job.

not.saying the nhs is exactly the same, but putting managers that don't understand what the job is about and what is needed is probably something it does suffer from.

Thanks urban genie. It's interesting what you say about managers being out of their depth. There's not hoardes of managers queueing up as some other posters suggest. For example, some Chief Exec vancancies in hospital trusts don't get any applicants. Roles at that (and other)level are very demanding and few people have the required skills sets.

A mate whose also a City fan is a trust Chief Exec and was Head of the NHS Confederation. His phone never stops ringing. People have to cover on call in case of emergencies and people are rarely thanked for the jobs they do.That said, Directors are well paid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.