NHS Crisis

Good post willy. I know what you mean about getting worn out and sense of defeat. People stop suggesting improvements too when they feel their views aren't being heard.

I think there's a particular problem in North Manchester where too many IT initiatives have been given the go ahead in the hospitals that are not integrated. I've had a few dealings with with the main Trust and some of the IT staff get pissed off with this.

I also agree with you about people being expected to negotiate outside their competence on IT related matters. This has been part of the problem with national
NHS initiatives as well changing spec
Mid projects that in some cases has cost billions.
What I think happens with IT staff is that there is a salary ceiling for those who want to stay technical and many move out to the private sector. Usually band 7.

Band 8 jobs and above are usually more about management and appeal to a different type of person. Those with the ability to fully know the technical impact, and ably project manage as well, are gold dust in the NHS.

Also, a lot of finance people with a bit of Access database skills wield too much power with the cheque book.

What I think happens with IT staff is that there is a salary ceiling for those who want to stay technical and many move out to the private sector. Usually band 7.

Band 8 jobs and above are usually more about management and appeal to a different type of person. Those with the ability to fully know the technical impact, and ably project manage as well, are gold dust in the NHS.

Also, a lot of finance people with a bit of Access database skills wield too much power with the cheque book.

Thanks Willy. I once worked in a team with responsibility for oversight of the Electronic Staff Record programme and what you say rings a few bells.

FI - I've worked for NWAS since 2008 and have worked all the areas bar Cumbria. It's not a horrendous job as you put it it's just none stop. I do agree that it can effect people but I feel as fresh as a daisy - you can only do one job at once! I will say it's not the 'proper' jobs that get me down but the amount of time wasters we get. You may get fucked around in NWAS but I'm ex Royal - I was fucked about by professionals then - NWAS merely play at it!! And hilts if you do still want to get on they advertise for staff all the time. Oh and I've never heard of assistant paramedic!!
I worked central Manchester and Salford,often 13 hour days,late jobs....late home the norm - any plans go out the window.75% of my workload were 'timewasters' - in fairness,some didnt know it......attempts to educate occasionally ended in complaints.My crewmate and i were continually split up to work with unqualifed staff,sometimes out of a different station.Very rarely did we get mealbreaks within the window,often finding ourselves miles from base - control then watch your every move while you return.Attempting to get a coffee between jobs was almost a criminal offence as some wanker at A&E was monitoring your turnaround.

Thats all before we even get onto the topic of pondlife patients - verbal,occasionally physical,assaults weren't unusual - especially city centre on weekend nights.

All that for a very average wage packet.

So,thats why i found it 'horrendous' - i'm genuinely happy youre one of the few who still enjoy the job,best of luck.

FI I try and let it wash over me, I can't change it so I don't let it bother me. Everyone of your gripes is exactly what I experience every shift. Can I ask what you do now? I take it you were/are a Para?

FI - I've worked for NWAS since 2008 and have worked all the areas bar Cumbria. It's not a horrendous job as you put it it's just none stop. I do agree that it can effect people but I feel as fresh as a daisy - you can only do one job at once! I will say it's not the 'proper' jobs that get me down but the amount of time wasters we get. You may get fucked around in NWAS but I'm ex Royal - I was fucked about by professionals then - NWAS merely play at it!! And hilts if you do still want to get on they advertise for staff all the time. Oh and I've never heard of assistant paramedic!!

That wasn't the official title, I forget what they called it but my mate joined years ago and you didn't need a qualification you went on a 12 week course I think, EMT 1 seems to ring a bell?

And I ain't going through that process again probably

A friend of mine has a brother who was a very senior manager at Wythenshawe Hospital. He was made redundant on one of the head-count cutting exercises.
He left on the Friday after his piss up.
He went back on the Monday as a "Consultant" on a vastly higher rate of pay than he had received as an employee.
He was instrumental in running the head-count cutting exercise!

A friend of mine has a brother who was a very senior manager at Wythenshawe Hospital. He was made redundant on one of the head-count cutting exercises.
He left on the Friday after his piss up.
He went back on the Monday as a "Consultant" on a vastly higher rate of pay than he had received as an employee.
He was instrumental in running the head-count cutting exercise!
Sounds about right.

The NHS is so badly run but its current structure is set up to fail. It's also underfunded. I feel sorry for the doctors, nurses and pharmacists and assistances who do a tough job on the frontline though. They are being let down just as much as the patients. GPs have it easier mind!

Not sure if this is relevant? after the last visit to my GP he prescribed me 3 items on my prescription. I went to Lloyds chemist to get my items where I was informed by one of Lloyds' staff that the items were £8odd each on prescription or alternatively Lloyds could provide all 3 items at about £6 each, saving me some money. I watched the members of staff do this with the handful of people who came into the chemists whilst I waited for my meds. Obviously the money I would've paid if I had just paid the price via the prescription would've gone to the NHS with Lloyds making a small percentage (I'd imagine?), instead of the full amount going into the profits of the privately owned Lloyds.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.