NHS Crisis

Not sure if this is relevant? after the last visit to my GP he prescribed me 3 items on my prescription. I went to Lloyds chemist to get my items where I was informed by one of Lloyds' staff that the items were £8odd each on prescription or alternatively Lloyds could provide all 3 items at about £6 each, saving me some money. I watched the members of staff do this with the handful of people who came into the chemists whilst I waited for my meds. Obviously the money I would've paid if I had just paid the price via the prescription would've gone to the NHS with Lloyds making a small percentage (I'd imagine?), instead of the full amount going into the profits of the privately owned Lloyds.

Are perscription drugs allowed to be sold that way? Surely that chemist is breaking some law?

On a similar note when I last visited my gp because I had a bad cough for over a month and just wanted to check it out, he noticed I hadn't had a perscription for ventolin for over a year, and I had to admit that I had bought some in Spain over the counter as I was in need and they were only £2.80 so I bought a few extra, He told me ventolin cost the nhs 0.80p to buy and shouldn't be pescription as it's cheap and essential for asthma sufferers, but as vital drugs for other treatments like cancer treatment were overpriced by drug companies and suppliers and cos tmore than th eperscription fee to buy, a lot of drugs that are cheaper made money on perscriptions helped fund them.

If that is true then there it is scandulous that peoples need for vital drugs are hamstrung by drug companies high charges and the fact that they don't open the patents. I expect a lot of medicine could be non perscrition and priced fairly.

Last edited:
Are perscription drugs allowed to be sold that way? Surely that chemist is breaking some law?

On a similar note when I last visited my gp because I had a bad cough for over a month and just wanted to check it out, he noticed I hadn't had a perscription for ventolin for over a year, and I had to admit that I had bought some in Spain over the counter as I was in need and they wer only £2.80 so I bought a few extra, He told me ventolin cost the nhs 0.80p to buy and shouldn't be pescription as it's cheap and easential for asthma sufferers, but as vital drugs for other treatments like cancer treatment were overpriced by drug companies and suppliers a lot of drugs that are cheaper made money on perscriptions helped fund them.

If that is true then there it is scandulous that peoples need for vital drugs are hamstrung by drug companies high charges and the fact that they don't open the patents. I expect a lot of medicine could be non perscrition and priced fairly.
I was shocked mate but not as shocked as the staff were when I told them I'd pay the prescription price as that would go to the NHS rather than Lloyds. My sister in law has been refused various treatments for Crohn's disease due to the cost to the NHS. On the other hand I know people who've had tit jobs on the NHS, and a guy who I used to work with who had a full sex change on the NHS.

The PFI contracts are an utter disaster for the NHS. Because the middle classes and the rest want to pay less tax we now have private companies taking billions out of the NHS. Anyone who had stayed in hospital will know what a Sodexo provided Ham sandwich is like- 2slices of bread with a sliver of ham in. My understanding is that hospitals are paying for these at £4 a go. Incredible, they must be buying hundreds of thousands!
The points made about poor management, softening up for privatisation and the fact that so many people are so fucking thick and wasting NHS time are all things I agree with.

I worked central Manchester and Salford,often 13 hour days,late jobs....late home the norm - any plans go out the window.75% of my workload were 'timewasters' - in fairness,some didnt know it......attempts to educate occasionally ended in complaints.My crewmate and i were continually split up to work with unqualifed staff,sometimes out of a different station.Very rarely did we get mealbreaks within the window,often finding ourselves miles from base - control then watch your every move while you return.Attempting to get a coffee between jobs was almost a criminal offence as some wanker at A&E was monitoring your turnaround.

Thats all before we even get onto the topic of pondlife patients - verbal,occasionally physical,assaults weren't unusual - especially city centre on weekend nights.

All that for a very average wage packet.

So,thats why i found it 'horrendous' - i'm genuinely happy youre one of the few who still enjoy the job,best of luck.
You should come to Queensland mate
My mate works in a small country town outside of Brisbane ...... basically watches movies and reads book's for most of his shift , just the odd call out.
Gets about $100,000 pa with his enhancements

I believe 90% of prescriptions aren't even paid for at £8 a pop that's some serious money, there needs to be a fundamental shift in attitude and the way the NHS is run, it wasn't set up for tit jobs, sex changes, ivf etc etc it was set up for sick people. Now if you deem that these things help towards the mental health of people fair enough put they should be at least part funded by the patient, the NHS cannot keep going under these pressures. With an ageing population more and more cancers, dementia etc are becoming prevelant, my dad is 71 he's in about 21 different pills he used to be fit and strong once he hit 66 he's gone down hill type 2 diabetes, heart problems etc. He never use the NHS up until then he's certainly getting his monies worth now.
We as a nation have to decide what we want if it's a totally free get whatever we want NHS it needs to be funded properly and that means higher taxes and run a damn sight better, or alternatively we take out insurance and that is used as well as an emergency service NHS, stop all these fucking wasters phoning up because they've stubbed a toe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.