NHS Strike

cyberblue said:
Health workers went on strike yesterday but it was not reported much by the media

You living in a bubble?
It was all over the BBC.

So the NHS has to put patients first before workers pay according to the weasel Hunt.
Not principled enough to give up his 11% rise though is he?
He's an utter Twat.

Millions of workers who pay taxes to fund the NHS have had a much worse time over the last 10 years or so than the NHS staff who went on strike.

The NHS has had next to no job losses if any, and the NHS pay freeze is luxury compared to the job losses, pay cuts and short working weeks suffered by lots of private sector workers.

And NHS staff still get superb terms and conditions including great pensions and better than average holiday allowances.

The strikers are selfish.

urmston said:
Millions of workers who pay taxes to fund the NHS have had a much worse time over the last 10 years or so than the NHS staff who went on strike.

The NHS has had next to no job losses if any, and the NHS pay freeze is luxury compared to the job losses, pay cuts and short working weeks suffered by lots of private sector workers.

And NHS staff still get superb terms and conditions including great pensions and better than average holiday allowances.

You need a new gig, your wumming is becoming predictable. Shame really as you're not terrible at it.

Think you're being harsh Urmston but some of the wages i've seen bandied about in the media haven't shown the enhancements for shifts etcand just show the basic salary, hugely misleading.

urmston said:

dream on

metalblue said:
urmston said:

You need a new gig, your wumming is becoming predictable. Shame really as you're not terrible at it.

Not as bad as you are at debating a topic though if that's the best you can do in reply to my point.

NHS staff were still getting pay rises long after they became a distant memory for many UK workers.

They enjoyed years of very generous treatment from New Labour's financially catastrophic regime, during which time their wages boomed from quite good to excellent for their skill levels.

The general public employs NHS staff, and millions of the general public are still having a very hard time.

When their employer is having a hard time most employees are grateful to hang on to their jobs, and sensible and considerate enough to recognise their employer's difficulties.

They don't go on strike demanding pay rises.

bluemoon32 said:
Think you're being harsh Urmston but some of the wages i've seen bandied about in the media haven't shown the enhancements for shifts etcand just show the basic salary, hugely misleading.

It varies from hospital to hospital but those that work 24/7 wards do get extra for working Sundays, bank holidays and unsociables but they also get deducted breaks. IIRC Mrs MB when she was on the ward (now a specalist nurse) would have to work an extra 18 hours a month for "free" to make up for her breaks which she rarely took.

She thinks nurses are paid ok. I disagree with her, the work they do and the effort they put in is worth much more. Obviously no nurse/doctor/paramedic enters the profession for money but that doesn't give us the right to take the piss.

Are you kidding me? We're bullied by management types and are on a pay freeze. We work 12 hour mixed night and day shifts and due to the demand on the service we often work 14 hour days/nights just to offer the public an absolutely necessary service. I don't remember the last time I got my breaks on time - last shift I worked 9 1/2 hrs before I got my 30 minutes and missed my 20 minute break altogether. How is that conducive to a healthy and effective front line staff? We get put on final warnings for just being off sick etc we live in a culture of fear for our jobs yet still have to be the most professional we can be at all times no matter day or night. Any complaint from the public no matter how insignificant and were treated as guilty until proven innocent. On top of that we have a registration body called the HCPC who monitor us and can revoke our practice license on a whim due to aforementioned complaint. If we step out of protocol, even if it's going to save a life, were sacked. Years of training and dedication lost. The service runs on overtime, if we stopped doing overtime the service would collapse. All this for my yearly wage of £22,000 after tax and deductions, and when my pension finally comes at 67 it's more than likely I'll be dead by 72 due to the effect my job has on me. We don't have it easy by any means. I worked as a HGV mechanic for a while, £500 a week I was taking home for a 40 hour week (albeit nights) but I had no job satisfaction and shit loads of job security and was earning enough money to put away for a really decent pension and retirement at 65. Now I earn very little and work ridiculous hours but I love my job and see the good we do for people every day.

urmston said:
metalblue said:
urmston said:

Not as bad as you are at debating a topic though if that's the best you can do in reply to my point.

NHS staff were still getting pay rises long after they became a distant memory for many UK workers.

They enjoyed years of very generous treatment from New Labour's financially catastrophic regime, during which time their wages boomed from quite good to excellent for their skill levels.

The general public employs NHS staff, and millions of the general public are still having a very hard time.

When their employer is having a hard time most employees are grateful to hang on to their jobs, and sensible and considerate enough to recognise their employer's difficulties.

For their skill levels? hahaha, you have no idea.

Were? Nurses get incremental pay rises every year (capped per band). You should do your homework before getting involved.

I'd debate with you if you had a clue.

metalblue said:
urmston said:
metalblue said:

For their skill levels? hahaha, you have no idea.

Were? Nurses get incremental pay rises every year (capped per band). You should do your homework before getting involved.

I'd debate with you if you had a clue.

If anything, nurses pay could probably be reduced gradually over the next few years.

Recruitment is unlikely to be a problem as applications for nursing courses are oversubscribed many times over and the educational requirements for getting on the courses are reasonably modest. Nursing is a job which does not require a high level of intellectual ability and educational attainment and this means there will always be lots of people able to do it, and in the current economic situation where jobs are scarce that will ensure a ready supply of applicants.

It is important that public money is used wisely by the government and not used to pay staff more than the market requires.

As public employees NHS staff should realise that they need to shoulder their fair share of the economic difficulties of their employers.

At the moment they seem to be telling us that they should be insulated from these difficulties and should be able to maintain their standard of living while the rest of us tighten our belts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.