Niall Quinn - Goal and Penalty Save 1991

I remember the save and Quinn scoring but don’t remember the final result did we win that game ?
Won 2-1.

The result relegated Derby, we also relegated Sunderland in the next home game.

Saunders who missed the penalty, signed for Liverpool along with Mark Wright in pre season. We played Liverpool at home the first home game of the season won 2-1 again with Saunders missing another penalty at the Platt Lane end.

Won 2-1.

The result relegated Derby, we also relegated Sunderland in the next home game.

Saunders who missed the penalty, signed for Liverpool along with Mark Wright in pre season. We played Liverpool at home the first home game of the season won 2-1 again with Saunders missing another penalty at the Platt Lane end.
He missed one at Villa against us also.

3 missed pens against us, for 3 different teams, in 3 different ways (save, wide, bar).

i remember it well for some reason i was in the main stand, Quinn would of made a good keeper was in his irish football dna.
He used to go in goal in training, and bet players they couldn't score a certain amount of pens against him. Think it was 4 out of 5 but I might be wrong on that. I remember Clive Allen talking about it.

Whatever happened to those very muddy night football games?

Now pitches look beautiful and green.

Did they import some special grass from India where it's always green or something?
It wasn’t a night game. It was 3 o’clock on a Saturday afternoon right at the end of the season as I recall. I think Derby may already have been down. I was sporting a full length plaster cast (broken leg) and had to make the missus drive to the game with me sat sideways across the back seat. She had the hump even more after the match, cos PC Plod came along after we’d parked, slapped a load of cones down and ticketed the whole street. Cnuts

Last edited:

Talking to a lad I work with who's genuinely interested in City before the takeover etc and ended up telling him about Niall Quinn. He says that's a bit before his time. Got onto remembering this and thought it deserved a share!

It's even better because it's Dean Saunders who took the penalty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.