Nico O'Reilly

Once again I find it very interesting that Pep plays O’Reilly out of position as a DM ahead of Wright and Susoho who are both natural DM’s. Pep must obviously rate O’Reilly very highly. He’s been very unfortunate with injuries and I think he has made very little improvement in 2-3 years. For big parts of last season I actually thought O’Reilly wasn’t quite ready for EDS level, but now he’s been shining for the first team and even out of position. Exactly what makes pre season fun. Has a lot of the tools to play the Rodri role in the future
I think Pep has liked what he has seen and is trying him in different roles to see what kind of footballer he is…and I think he’s been pleased with what he’s seen.

Big, getting stronger, silky feet, even though his runs often come to nothing because he is not looking for that pass, as opposed to beating that last man.

I think he’s a “free hit” homegrown squad player this season, and will get a run out, esp in the Carabao Cup! He looks more like an 8 (Gundo/Kova) than a 6 (Rodri), but I think that’s why Pep is challenging him to be a footballer by learning other roles, in and around midfield.

Him and Bobb have been the standouts so far, imho. McAtee has looked decent on the ball, but is slight and doesn’t stand out. I think he’s gone by the end of the window. An Ipswich/Southampton/Leeds type team would suit him. Maybe even Everton, as they’ve lost their midfield this off season, and he’s a sub £20M player.

Last edited:
Him and Bobb have been the standouts so far, imho. McAtee has looked decent on the ball, but is slight and doesn’t stand out. I think he’s gone by the end of the window. And Ipswich/Southampton/Leeds type team would suit him. Maybe even Everton, as they’ve lost their midfield this off season, and he’s a sub £20M player.

Think Leicester could be good for McAtee as they've lost Deswbury-Hall and he could fit that role pretty well, although I don't know who their manager is now Maresca has left?

Think Leicester could be good for McAtee as they've lost Deswbury-Hall and he could fit that role pretty well, although I don't know who their manager is now Maresca has left?
Cooper. - which might work for him he's had MGW in his system before.

Once again I find it very interesting that Pep plays O’Reilly out of position as a DM ahead of Wright and Susoho who are both natural DM’s. Pep must obviously rate O’Reilly very highly. He’s been very unfortunate with injuries and I think he has made very little improvement in 2-3 years. For big parts of last season I actually thought O’Reilly wasn’t quite ready for EDS level, but now he’s been shining for the first team and even out of position. Exactly what makes pre season fun. Has a lot of the tools to play the Rodri role in the future
In fairness i don't think he's been played as a pure 6, more like how we played Kovacic last season and probably more like how Pep thought he would have played Phillips if he wasn't shit. I think the aim has always been Rodri +1 alternating the 6 roles and it seems like since him and O'Reilly seem to be quite similar in build and style, they would make a good partnership. But obviously very early days for the kid, i do think its a perfect scenario for him to learn of both Rodri and Kova though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.