Nicolás Otamendi - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to be less like @SWP's back so I try to see where people are coming from these days.

But based on recent facts I don't see how you play Komps against Pool's press. But I worry about Nico's speed against that front 3. So my instinct is to go with John and Eric. They are both reasonably fast and are both almost as comfortable on the ball as Nico.

We will lose Komps energy and Athletism. And Nico's passing and general solid defense.
The way I see it is Laporte is the nailed on starter and then it’s between Nico and Stones for the other spot. At the moment I think Otamendi has played his way in, but Stones has an opportunity v Hoffenheim to present his case. Laporte though... that guy is undroppable.

The way I see it is Laporte is the nailed on starter and then it’s between Nico and Stones for the other spot. At the moment I think Otamendi has played his way in, but Stones has an opportunity v Hoffenheim to present his case. Laporte though... that guy is undroppable.
He has an undue advantage of being the only leftie

Laporte worries me in a physical battle. Can see him being bullied by Liverpool's front line

He has an undue advantage of being the only leftie
Exactly. He has to play. If Zinchenko is not playing, he’s the only one that can reliably play the quick switch to Sterling during the build up. And that’s a good ball for us when Liverpool are pushing up to try to win the ball.

Exactly. He has to play. If Zinchenko is not playing, he’s the only one that can reliably play the quick switch to Sterling during the build up. And that’s a good ball for us when Liverpool are pushing up to try to win the ball.
Sounds like you are saying Zee should play :)

Laporte worries me in a physical battle. Can see him being bullied by Liverpool's front line
I'm a bit puzzled Liverpool don't have a particularly physical front line they rely on pace and movement with Firminho often dropping deep to create space for runners.
In all honesty I'm not sure that that is Otamendis defensive forte, he's better at physical battles.

I'm a bit puzzled Liverpool don't have a particularly physical front line they rely on pace and movement with Firminho often dropping deep to create space for runners.
In all honesty I'm not sure that that is Otamendis defensive forte, he's better at physical battles.
That's why I'm leaning twds John and Eric

Sounds like you are saying Zee should play :)
Haha, to be honest I think he could be the best option. Mendy I don’t really like at the moment (I know he’s not fit), but he just can’t defend and I’d rather have Sané provide the width in attack than Mendy. Delph has been dropping some absolute clangers and I don’t have the trust in him that I had at the same time last season. Zinchenko is looking great on the ball, as always. I worry about him positionally, but I’d worry about our other options for LB too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.