Nicolas Otamendi - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The going to ground thing is so over exaggerated.

Going to ground is his way of defending we all know that... He gets skinned going to ground no more than any top defender gets turned inside out while they are still stood on their feet. It just looks a bit worse being on your arse, (he gets up ridiculously quick by the way).

Maybe I'm a little biased as he is probably my favourite player in the whole squad as he plays the game exactly how I do! He's exciting for a centre half!

He may get up ridiculously quickly but it's no good when it's 20 yards behind the play.

He needs a better season this one. He was average last year like many others. I think he will start. Cant see Mangala playing much this season if he is still here.

He may get up ridiculously quickly but it's no good when it's 20 yards behind the play.
And it's no good defenders staying on their feet but still get completely skinned, he gets skinned on the ground no more than other top defenders get skinned stood up, just looks worse when he's on his backside that's all

I love Mangala believe he can be a world class defender, just not in Pep's system.
I agree. Mangala is an incredible physical specimen who can dominate Ibrahimovic, Costa etc For it to work though, you need the footballing intelligence of a Kompany or a prime Demichelis to be the brains of the operation.

And it's no good defenders staying on their feet but still get completely skinned, he gets skinned on the ground no more than other top defenders get skinned stood up, just looks worse when he's on his backside that's all

If you stay on your feet, you sometimes get a 2nd chance to save the situation, even if you get skinned the first time. Go to ground & it's over.

Unless you are blocking a shot, it's usually bad technique & something he should work on.

If you stay on your feet, you sometimes get a 2nd chance to save the situation, even if you get skinned the first time. Go to ground & it's over.

Unless you are blocking a shot, it's usually bad technique & something he should work on.
think i read somewhere that Maldini? Once said if you have to slide in it means you're not doing your job as a defender right.

think i read somewhere that Maldini? Once said if you have to slide in it means you're not doing your job as a defender right.

I've heard the quote, can't remember who from. I think it's accepted in the modern game that it should be a last resort. But some defenders we have had, have used that as an excuse to do nothing at all so never really do much wrong, just do f all(Nastasic). I like Otamendi's attitude, that he wants to defend, but I think he will have to up his game in that regard as he may be last man fair bit in this setup.

Too simple by half to say stay on your feet,if every defender knows they have to stay on their feet then why do goals still get scored
If the opportunity to win the ball is there then the defender should go for it,Otamendis tackling justifies the way he plays

Too simple by half to say stay on your feet,if every defender knows they have to stay on their feet then why do goals still get scored
If the opportunity to win the ball is there then the defender should go for it,Otamendis tackling justifies the way he plays

But when we're at the matches, you can literally see it a mile off when Otamendi should stay on his feet. Everyone around is gasping, exclaiming and holding their arses knowing what is coming next. If we can see it, he should be able to.

Sometimes you're right, it's necessary to go to ground. A lot of the time though, it costs a mistake or heightens the danger.

Maldini played alongside the likes of Baresi and co ,most defences are no where near Milan, they need to play differently, and Otamendi does his own thing, most of his tackles result in a positive outcome , dont see the need to panic when hes going for a challenge, hes makes very good decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.