Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Otamendi has been excellent recently.

Yesterday he wasn't & made two absolute howlers which Mangala would be crucified for & I don't mean the own goal, which was unavoidable.

I don't have a problem with him making a few mistakes from time to time, as everyone makes mistakes & he has minimised his to the same level as Vinny or Stones. I just prefer honesty.

Yeterday was a day he got away with it which is ok.

Yesterday he wasn't & made two absolute howlers which Mangala would be crucified for & I don't mean the own goal, which was unavoidable.

I don't have a problem with him making a few mistakes from time to time, as everyone makes mistakes & he has minimised his to the same level as Vinny or Stones. I just prefer honesty.

Despite the howlers, which I didn't notice on the snippets I've seen, he did look suitably mortified, chastened, and downbeat walking back for the kick off. I like that from a player!

was asked to press forward and try to pick up through passes, maybe that's why his concentration was alittle off

Despite the howlers, which I didn't notice on the snippets I've seen, he did look suitably mortified, chastened, and downbeat walking back for the kick off. I like that from a player!

Indeed.

It was just unfortunate. We could have had two, when the ball flew over Walker's head & hit Kompany.

Now that would have seen the return of 'typical City' had that gone in. Two oppo goals, without a shot on target.

Awful passing today in key area's, needs to sharpen it up a bit
I see it differently, he realised that Silva and De Bruyne were having an off day and took it upon himself to try and help make chances. Obviously as a CB it was very difficult for him to get the final pass right but I like that he showed the initiative and confidence to try. If he was a few years younger Pep could turn him into a world-class attacking defender.

I was thinking something about Otamendi. Maybe it would work, maybe not. I call it a 'False no. 4' and the essence of it is this: when we're playing tough away games in which we can't find a breakthrough and the opponents are marking Aguero, Jesus etc out of the game, Otamendi could time his runs into the box to become an extra attacker for a few seconds at a time. His aim is to create chaos that the opponent can't expect, by pulling them out of position, getting headers from crosses on goal or knocking down for other players to score, or at least creating space for the other attackers to move more freely. While he's out of position, Fernandinho slots back into his place to fill the gap at CB and one of Silva and De Bruyne lingers just at the edge of the centre circle to maintain our superiority in midfield in case the opponents counter. He has the desire and aerial ability for it but it could be crazy.

Last edited:
I see it differently, he realised that Silva and De Bruyne were having an off day and took it upon himself to try and help make chances. Obviously as a CB it was very difficult for him to get the final pass right but I like that he showed the initiative and confidence to try. If he was a few years younger Pep could turn him into a world-class attacking defender.

I was thinking something about Otamendi. Maybe it would work, maybe not. I call it a 'False no. 4' and the essence of it is this: when we're playing tough away games in which we can't find a breakthrough and the opponents are marking Aguero, Jesus etc out of the game, Otamendi could time his runs into the box to become an extra attacker for a few seconds at a time. His aim is to create chaos that the opponent can't expect, by pulling them out of position, getting headers from crosses on goal or knocking down for other players to score, or at least creating space for the other attackers to move more freely. While he's out of position, Fernandinho slots back into his place to fill the gap at CB and one of Silva and De Bruyne lingers just at the edge of the centre circle to maintain our superiority in midfield in case the opponents counter. He has the desire and aerial ability for it but it could be crazy.
Several short passes went astray yesterday, one example was a pass to Silva that went to their man and Silva fouled him and Mooy just missed with the free kick, a decent pass and non of that happens, sloppy.

I thought he was a little bit under his usually standard as well. Little bit surprised at the praise received. He got owned and actually fell down during a few of the duels with that goon striker, had one poor pass that might have created a chance, and his passing was just a notch off.

He was great going forward though and if he can improve that final ball he might have 2-4 assists already. The idea is there and he’s much smarter than given credit for I think.

He’s a fuckin warrior though. He flew into that 50/50 challenge with everything knowing he’d probably get hurt and stayed down for a minute. The guy just doesn’t get injured which is so valuable.

I thought he was a little bit under his usually standard as well. Little bit surprised at the praise received. He got owned and actually fell down during a few of the duels with that goon striker, had one poor pass that might have created a chance, and his passing was just a notch off.

He was great going forward though and if he can improve that final ball he might have 2-4 assists already. The idea is there and he’s much smarter than given credit for I think.

He’s a fuckin warrior though. He flew into that 50/50 challenge with everything knowing he’d probably get hurt and stayed down for a minute. The guy just doesn’t get injured which is so valuable.

He does tend to struggle sometimes against players who are big/strong or very fast but after a shocking start v Liverpool (for which I blame Pep, for leaving him exposed, early season) he has tended to find a way around it, often just by being a bit smarter.

He got dragged into a couple of battles yesterday & lost badly, but it's not been typical of his performances this season.

As you say, he has been there consistently when we have needed him, but in reality we shouldn't be so dependant on him or any of the others, as we should have signed a top cb, as I'm pretty sure we originally intended, rather than being sucked into a futile chase for Sanchez & Mbappe. Then Otta/Stones could have rested more.

Even if we get one now, not much time for Pep to indoctrinate him.

He does tend to struggle sometimes against players who are big/strong or very fast but after a shocking start v Liverpool (for which I blame Pep, for leaving him exposed, early season) he has tended to find a way around it, often just by being a bit smarter.

He got dragged into a couple of battles yesterday & lost badly, but it's not been typical of his performances this season.

As you say, he has been there consistently when we have needed him, but in reality we shouldn't be so dependant on him or any of the others, as we should have signed a top cb, as I'm pretty sure we originally intended, rather than being sucked into a futile chase for Sanchez & Mbappe. Then Otta/Stones could have rested more.

Even if we get one now, not much time for Pep to indoctrinate him.

Kind of agree and kind of disagree regarding our summer. I highly doubted we’d sign Sanchez and also didn’t want to spend an absurd amount on VVD or any top CB as I preferred to go all out for MBappe. I actually was a fan of the JFE links (not for him at all, but someone on that level to be 4th choice). I believed VK, Nico, Stones and a solid 4th was enough but I also understand why people wanted a big signing at central defense.

You are right about it being a mistake having to rely on Nico or anyone else the way that we have had too.

Good point about the Liverpool game. Salah also ended up being a far more dangerous player than anyone could have imagined. That guy is on fire this year.

Also, liked your post @MarsLlama.

Several short passes went astray yesterday, one example was a pass to Silva that went to their man and Silva fouled him and Mooy just missed with the free kick, a decent pass and non of that happens, sloppy.
That was just a poor decision there. No need to pass it there. He should have passed it to the open guy behind him.

An up and down game for me. Loved his front footedness though. Kept trying all he could to push our atttack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.