Noel Gallagher on Talksport

It was a lot cooler to be a City fan than a United fan. We were perceived nationwide as the proper Manchester club, supported by the clued up. Mark and Lard probably helped a bit on radio one too. In fact there was that TV series about Manc scallies and they all supported City. Can’t remember the name of it.

United hated it. They used to sing about us more than ever back in those days to try to reclaim some local identity.
Burn It

IMG_4032.jpeg

It’s been taken off YouTube now, but remember the BBC Three advert for it? Three City fans sat on a bench, people walking past them in United tops and they start talking;
‘They say you’re never more than six feet from a red round here’
‘I know yeah, they’re everywhere’
‘Yeah, this town will drag you down’
…then it zooms out and they’re in London.

It’s why they latched onto the ‘Stockport’ thing so hard, and still do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noel Gallagher is the best ambassador this club has ever had. He does all these interviews about City, presumably for nothing, because he loves the club. He represents the supporters really well overall. I remember when Oasis split and he did a press conference and at the end he said something like "If you excuse me, I've got a football club to support".

Back in the 90s Oasis were a hundred times bigger than City and there can be no doubts that they boosted our image purely because of their support.
Spot on that mate, I worked all over ‘student land’ throughout the 90’s, the amount of followers we gained because of ‘Oasis’ I lost count of, way out of keeping with our status at that time.

I met Noel briefly outside Maine Road and he signed an autograph and was fine. Aside from that I've had no interactions with either of them, but I agree with your post mate. When they were the biggest band in the country and City were, let's face it, pretty terrible at that time, they still banged on about City at any opportunity and even neutrals knew who they supported. I get people not liking them, or even their music, but the idea they're somehow riding on the coat tails of recent success is nonsense.
Good points. In the 90s at the band's height I have to say I much preferred the likes of Nirvana, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins and In terms of British bands, Terrorvision and Skunk Anansie (both very underated imo) These days I do enjoy listening to Oasis in the car, especially if I'm driving to a City match with my 22 year old daughter.
They definitely aren't riding on our recent success, and even though as you say not all City fans liked their music most liked the fact they were such vocal supporters when we were really shit.
Their clear disdain for all things United was amusing too. From memory didn't they refuse to let some rag players go backstage at a gig in the 90s and once insist that their gig at Lancs cricket ground say that on the ticket (as opposed to the other name)
Non City fans (and non football fans) often used to ask if I ever saw them at games. Noel did actually sit in the row in front of me at Fulham in the late 90s (with 2 of the toughest looking big fuck off minders he could find either side of him)
The band's association with us didn't do us any harm in my opinion. United fans who really liked Oasis probably hated that. A lot of United fans seemed to dislike the fact that we still kept going rather than just disappear
As a fan base I feel we did used to get a lot of respect from neutrals due to the fact we kept going in good numbers when we were so shit and our neighbours were a lot better than us (to say the least! )This 'Where were you when you were shit' and 'no proper fans before the takeover' bollocks ,other ill informed supporters spout probably irritates the Gallaghers as much as it does the rest of us!

Noel Gallagher is the best ambassador this club has ever had. He does all these interviews about City, presumably for nothing, because he loves the club. He represents the supporters really well overall. I remember when Oasis split and he did a press conference and at the end he said something like "If you excuse me, I've got a football club to support".

Back in the 90s Oasis were a hundred times bigger than City and there can be no doubts that they boosted our image purely because of their support.
TalkSport is my guilty pleasure when I WFH and Noel always comes on and gives it, often making points which align with the general feeling online, to the point where a small part of me thinks he at least skims this site if he’s not got an account.

He was on the other day and Andy Goldstein was spouting shit about the treble not being talked about, everyone’s forgotten, etc. Noel was straight in there and said that’s because from his experience, every TV and radio producer is either an Arsenal, United or Liverpool fan - if it was a club in red who had won the league, they’d still be banging on about it, etc. It was straight out of the media agenda thread (he even started off by saying he’s not one of them media agenda folk…).

City = Oasis
Rags = simply red

Never liked simple red.

It was typical City when we were leaving Maine Rd. I heard stories that City wanted Oasis to play at the end. The story goes Oasis wanted t be the only band to play. City wanted other manc bands as well. Oasis said no and we ended up with, Badly drawn boy and a fake oasis band.

Definitely Maybe entered the album charts at Number 1 in September 1994. I was at a gig that night at the Limelight in Belfast. Incredible gig, they were at their absolute peak, venue was about 500 capacity, small enough for them to still be walking about in the crowd chatting to fans. I spoke to both Liam and Noel that night. I told Liam I was a Blue, he told me he didn’t “fookin believe” me as I was Irish and he clearly thought I was a red. Noel was buzzing and came and told us the album had went to number 1 (before any of their singles). He also stood outside and chatted to me and my mate about Colin Bell, George Best (being Belfast) and how when he made his first million pounds he was going to buy three Brazilians for City. A couple of years later I travelled over for the Maine Road gigs and settled in Manchester a few months later.

He’s always been a top man and his blue credentials are obvious for me. Seen him at several aways down the years, he’s always represented us well, even when we were at our lowest points. It seems the people who dislike him are mostly driven by jealousy or the thought he’s a fraud because he’s not at every single game. Liam doesn’t get that same hate, which is strange but there you go.

Last edited:
City = Oasis
Rags = simply red

Never liked simple red.

It was typical City when we were leaving Maine Rd. I heard stories that City wanted Oasis to play at the end. The story goes Oasis wanted t be the only band to play. City wanted other manc bands as well. Oasis said no and we ended up with, Badly drawn boy and a fake oasis band.
You mean the Doves ?
definately not a fake oasis band
shame on you

Burn It

View attachment 89703

It’s been taken off YouTube now, but remember the BBC Three advert for it? Three City fans sat on a bench, people walking past them in United tops and they start talking;
‘They say you’re never more than six feet from a red round here’
‘I know yeah, they’re everywhere’
‘Yeah, this town will drag you down’
…then it zooms out and they’re in London.

It’s why they latched onto the ‘Stockport’ thing so hard, and still do.
The lad top left is now in Emmerdale, Caleb Dingle?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.