North Stand Construction Discussion

It's weird that though, isn't it? We know Abu Dhabi and MCC are all over each other with the Manchester Life development, and the Arena is going to bring in hundreds of millions a year to the City.

Why would MCC not be all for the idea of collaborating on transport links?
Extra trams alone aren't the answer, they can't get through the Piccadilly bottleneck quick enough and would cause lack of service elsewhere on the network. One or two maybe but more than that is a non-starter.

I think this is a nice idea in theory, but in practice, it's very unrealistic.

Firstly, who would pay for the buses? Where would they store them when they aren't being used? Which roads would they close (when there are concerts on would there be nightly closures all year round)? How much would it cost to use? Where would they find staff who were happy with this infrequent work when there's a labour shortage already.
The buses would be something like a split paid for by who uses them the most so I’d say 20 percent city 30 percent co op arena and 50 percent mcc who would use the buses in conjunction with gmpt Mon to Friday to replace a lot of the current dirty diesel stock. Thus also solving storage issues. Finding drivers might be a bit tougher true but nothing insurmountable if we pay a good rate. Road closure wise I’m only talking the odd road and junction, mostly intelligent traffic lights would help speed away the buses. Bus is the only quick solution here, trainsolution would take years and metrolink aren’t interested.

Extra trams alone aren't the answer, they can't get through the Piccadilly bottleneck quick enough and would cause lack of service elsewhere on the network. One or two maybe but more than that is a non-starter.

There must be an answer, and if I was in local government and got enquiries about improving transport from people with a trillion dollar investment fund and a known desire to invest around the world, and a track record of doing it locally, I wouldn’t be ignoring their messages.

There must be an answer, and if I was in local government and got enquiries about improving transport from people with a trillion dollar investment fund and a known desire to invest around the world, and a track record of doing it locally, I wouldn’t be ignoring their messages.
It’s hard to imagine this as an insurmountable issue tbh. Difficult, perhaps.

I can tell you the players are shit, showered and changed and sat in the same traffic as the rest of us before many others are back on a tram.

Cars are parked fifty yards away so they make a sharp exit.
Once found myself next to Corradi on the A56 in Sale after a game. Getting away from the match must have been the fastest he moved whilst with us.

is everyone putting their comments into the club about the plans?There is a questionnaire on the article that announced the plans.
I have just finished my comments which centred almost entirely on the transport strategy. They ask you at the end of the questionnaire if you support the plans. I told them I couldn’t until they rethink transport. The club has the clout and the wealth to make things far better for matchgoing fans And should use this development as an opportunity.

FFS

is everyone putting their comments into the club about the plans?There is a questionnaire on the article that announced the plans.
I have just finished my comments which centred almost entirely on the transport strategy. They ask you at the end of the questionnaire if you support the plans. I told them I couldn’t until they rethink transport. The club has the clout and the wealth to make things far better for matchgoing fans And should use this development as an opportunity.
I did mine and made comments on transport,but I don't think they have the clout to make the difference you're suggesting. The transport can only be fixed by making the trams better, which will have a small impact, otherwise I don't really know what they can do, the road layout and number of cars leaving at the same time will always be an issue.

The answer is to build more rapid transit infrastructure @ £100M per mile (cost based on Trafford Centre route). The cheapest route I can see is linking the Oldham tram line at Asda to the Rochdale tram line at Monsall, 1.5 miles? With the complicated junctions and stations the cost is likely to be about £300M now, maybe more. It would take some time to recoup that.

The thing is there are options that the council are looking at that may benefit City, such as a tram/train solution on the line behind the athletics stadium. If that was to go ahead then the above wouldn't be needed. If the streets were nicer to walk then 1.4 miles to Central Park or Sandhills (if it happens) isn't too bad for most of us (I walk nearly a mile to my car anyway). I think there are solutions that would be easier to implement.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.