North Stand Construction Discussion

Sorry for my ignorance on the travel situation here (I live in town so this doesn't really affect me!) and I'm guessing this has already been brought up but have they ever looked at installing a train station by Councillor Street? There's a line that runs already there (albeit I don't think I've ever seen a train on it) which looks like it can go to Victoria in one direction or to Ashbury's where you can change for Piccadilly? Or you could even have it where the tram line meets off New Viaduct Street as you can walk there just off the CityLink pathway?

Not a bad idea. In this age of deregulation Metrolink could sell off the rights to one or more of its lines to another provider. Or even on certain days eg match days Etihad Rail is responsible for running the line from Pic to Ashton.

At Maine Rd loads used to arrive early and leave late because we had over a dozen great pubs within walking distance and the curry mile on our doorstep.
The quantity and quality of pubs we have now are shit in comparison which is why many can't wait to get away.
If we have great bars and restaurants In the vicinity more people will be inclined to stay longer myself included.

Yup, but back then we were also looking at mostly Saturday 3pm games, with occasional midweek night matches. People had the time to get there early and stay late in the pubs etc.
The daft days and times will impact many people's ability to do so even with more pubs and bars.
Also, I have mentioned before, my missus is in the trade, and when her company has looked at building a pub near the stadium, the council have rejected every proposal.
Ditto other pub companies.

I’d encourage everyone, physically able to do so, to walk to town after the match. It used to help clear my head as I wound down after two hours of football.

I’m far from the fittest guy on the block, but I love the walk to/from Piccadilly/Etihad, winter or summer. Perhaps some of my enjoyment is sentimental having left Manchester 25 years ago.

However, I have no sentimental attachment to getting pissed wet from Manchester rain !

Yup, but back then we were also looking at mostly Saturday 3pm games, with occasional midweek night matches. People had the time to get there early and stay late in the pubs etc.
The daft days and times will impact many people's ability to do so even with more pubs and bars.
Also, I have mentioned before, my missus is in the trade, and when her company has looked at building a pub near the stadium, the council have rejected every proposal.
Ditto other pub companies.
I wonder if that is because of City

Some unbiased views from people who are interested in property development, including sensible United fans', and people who have no interest in football at all. The proposal has had a mixed reaction on SSC-MCR.

Some posters think it looks good, other posters don't think it looks good. Valid reasons have been given for both points of view.

There are 1 or 2 silly jibes, but those aside, interesting reading, if anyone is interested?

From post 3,808 onwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.