North Stand Construction Discussion

The Kippax standing was knocked down 30 years ago you've got to be approx 40 to remember it. How much emotional attachment do late teens and twenty odd year old have to it, as they are the ones we need to attract to create the atmosphere in the new NS2.
I would personally go with the 9320 end.
Why 9320? Why not the Sergio Aguero Stand?

Mancunian bound people or traded goods don't dock in Liverpool anymore since they started putting up the prices to store the cotton from the fields in America. That's why the ship canal was built and why there is tension between scousers and manc's.

Edit; wasn't the Titanic built at Haarland and Wolff in Belfast.
It was, and was only registered in Liverpool, I got that bit wrong.

Because 9320 encapsulates the goal, the players, the season, the fans and getting one over the scum - rather just one player.

Isn't there already a 93:20 corporate area in the ground?

Stands are normally named after players or managers, not a moment in time. Admittedly it was a very important moment in time in the clubs history.

Obviously I can't prove it, but if you asked a cross section of City fans, I'm sure the majority would pick the Sergio Aguero stand over the 93:20 stand. Maybe not?

Ideally the club will give the fans 4 naming stand options to choose from.

The club may even stick with the North stand, which to be honest is boring.

The new home end stand needs an identity that resonates with the fans.

For me that should be the Sergio Aguero stand or the Kippax stand.(even though the Kippax name has nothing to do with the Etihad)

I do get the idea of naming stands after people. But out of Kippax, Platt, North and Main.... Which were named after people? Should be street and place related for me. Unique to the stadium and actually means something.

I get 9320 and that does mean something too. But there are generations now and in the future who weren't there and so the significance to them will lessen over time.

Isn't there already a 93:20 corporate area in the ground?

Stands are normally named after players or managers, not a moment in time. Admittedly it was a very important moment in time in the clubs history.

Obviously I can't prove it, but if you asked a cross section of City fans, I'm sure the majority would pick the Sergio Aguero stand over the 93:20 stand. Maybe not?

Ideally the club will give the fans 4 naming stand options to choose from.

The club may even stick with the North stand, which to be honest is boring.

The new home end stand needs an identity that resonates with the fans.

For me that should be the Sergio Aguero stand or the Kippax stand.(even though the Kippax name has nothing to do with the Etihad)
There's a 9320 bar with premium seating.

I dont see 9320 as a moment or a single second, it has a far bigger meaning, it encapsulated all those years of shit we put up with to win the league in the most iconic way ever.

Not a fan of the Kippax - there's only one Kippax stand.

To me the answer to another transport connection for the Etihad etc, lies with the railway line that runs parallel to the MCR Regional Athletics Stadium next to the Etihad. Perhaps it would be possible to build a station next to the Ashton Road Railway Bridge or further along.
I don’t even know if this line is even open but there’s tracks there that clearly run North and South.
North looks to connect with a line that eventually runs into MCR Victoria or just heads further North, and perhaps the South route could even be connected back to Piccadily as there’s a disused Viaduct near the West Coast line that once would’ve let it do so. It could even be linked Southwards on the West Coast line too perhaps.
This line could be used by trams or simply just a new passenger train connection that would effectively give East Manchester a new railway loop connecting both the Stadium and Arena with both major MCR stations or beyond.
Job done? Perhaps at minimal cost too because the infrastructure is clearly already there.
I’ve thought this since we moved there twenty years ago.

It makes total sense to have a station where the old Mercedes garage is:

BE2B9F93-FB6F-494C-97F4-E4E3BA977342.jpeg

I’m sure I’ve read over the years that the line is used for freight carriage or something though.

Fair enough, mate. He is our top scorer ever, to be fair.

I’d go for the Aguero and Silva stand myself but I see your point.
What happens when Haaland stays for 15 years and has 600 goals do we rename it the Haaland stand. I dont remember the clamour to call any stand the Eric Brook stand?

To be honest I'm not overly bothered there are merits to many of the suggestions it's just personal perspectives.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.