North Stand Construction Discussion

If it was to be a player it has to be Sergio, and if Pep does ten years or maybe wins the CL I’ve no problem in him getting the SS, the ES would be too imposing for future managers to have to face every game. But for me we already have Kippax crescent circling the ground, so in keeping with tradition let’s name it after a local street (even if it is a recent addition) I love our history & traditions, this one needs bringing back

What do you think the most City could realistically average if it was built (for league games)

Could we average 70k if the stadium was big enough?
We’d easily get that if the prices were right.

City (and United) are fucking clueless when it comes to getting fans in our stadium. More people attend football matches at all the other clubs in our conurbation than they do City or United games.

City’s best attendance this season is 53,453
United’s best attendance this season is 73,711

All our clubs from the Championship to the the North West Counties Premier Division - 9th tier - (that includes 18 clubs and there are more lower down who also get a few thousand fan between them but there’s no official stats) best attendances from last season combined comes to 75,034!

Nobody’s telling me that there are more fans of all the other clubs combined than there are City or United fans in our conurbation. The two clubs are run by people who don’t understand Manchester, Mancunians, the local or national economy/incomes… they’re just run by people who need to justify their salaries and bonuses by showing revenue spreadsheets to their bosses.

City could get 65,000 from our Manchester support alone, never mind those who live elsewhere. City have pulled away from our Manchester support in my opinion though. I think the City boardroom are more interested in getting people from anywhere else into our corporate areas than they are interested in getting our local fans into the normal seats.

16,000 season tickets at Bayern are priced at €170, Liverpool price all child Premier League matchday tickets in every stand at £9 and they give discounts to people with an L postcode… those two clubs seem to understand and want to look after their local fans but City and United don’t.

This new stand has the opportunity to look after us though. Cheaper tickets and priority to those with an M postcode would be brilliant. But will they understand this?

The Bert Trautman stand for me or just don’t name it after a player. The Ardwick End for instance.
I wouldn’t name it after a player. I always think that street names or town names or nicknames like the Kippax Stand and Stretford End or the Spion Kop are much better names than player name stands.

The North Stand’s closest area is Miles Platting and its nearest street is New Viaduct Street. So neither of those are fitting enough to be named as a stand.

So the nicknames are going to be better. Some I came up with earlier in the thread are:
The 93.20 Stand
The Great Northern End (it’s the North Stand, it’s the Northern end of the stadium, we are Northerners, Great Northern is a warehouse in the city centre, the ‘Great’ gives it a bit of ‘umph’…)
The Wonderwall
The Pit (after the colliery on the site).

I’m sure others will come up with some decent, worse and better ones n’all.

City (and United) are fucking clueless when it comes to getting fans in our stadium. More people attend football matches at all the other clubs in our conurbation than they do City or United games.

All our clubs from the Championship to the the North West Counties Premier Division - 9th tier - (that includes 18 clubs and there are more lower down who also get a few thousand fan between them but there’s no official stats) best attendances from last season combined comes to 75,034!

Nobody’s telling me that there are more fans of all the other clubs combined than there are City or United fans in our conurbation. The two clubs are run by people who don’t understand Manchester, Mancunians, the local or national economy/incomes… they’re just run by people who need to justify their salaries and bonuses by showing revenue spreadsheets to their bosses.

City could get 65,000 from our Manchester support alone, never mind those who live elsewhere. City have pulled away from our Manchester support in my opinion though. I think the City boardroom are more interested in getting people from anywhere else into our corporate areas than they are interested in getting our local fans into the normal seats.

16,000 season tickets at Bayern are priced at €170, Liverpool price all child Premier League matchday tickets in every stand at £9 and they give discounts to people with an L postcode… those two clubs seem to understand and want to look after their local fans but City and United don’t.

This new stand has the opportunity to look after us though. Cheaper tickets and priority to those with an M postcode would be brilliant. But will they understand this?
Both clubs are pretty much constantly sold out so I'm not sure what the point of comparing to anything else is? Pricing is another topic entirely. I can't say I've seen any sensible answers as to how you get only local fans in at cheap prices when the "tourists" could equally buy the same tickets?

Because the railways are not going to spend multi-millions on a train service that would be used for part of a day on a very short length of track for a maximum of 26-27 home matches a year?

I hate to keep trying to inject realism into pipe dreams. But someone needs to.
People need to understand how the railways work around Manchester by reading Railforums.co.uk or SSC. Rail problems around Mcr are all interlinked and therefore any improvements have to be at a benefit to the whole region, not just one entity. The Castlefield corridor (Deansgate to Piccadilly) is the main issue and that was made worse by the Ordsall Chord in 2017 which allowed trains from Leeds etc to run from Victoria to Piccadilly and on to the airport. Now some think the problem is the Windsor link which joined Salford Crescent to the Castlefield corridor in 1989 and are suggesting that is cut. I believe the line that runs beside the stadium was considered as a route to run around Manchester but I guess it was more costly than Ordsall and doesn’t connect directly to the airport (it would mean running into Piccadilly and reversing back out).

In short, only if the powers that be decide a new route to the airport would benefit everyone will any rail solution happen. It would need a lot of track improvements and probably not involve Man Piccadilly so unlikely.

More likely (much much cheaper) is using the line as tram-train to connect Hadfield to Victoria.

People need to understand how the railways work around Manchester by reading Railforums.co.uk or SSC. Rail problems around Mcr are all interlinked and therefore any improvements have to be at a benefit to the whole region, not just one entity. The Castlefield corridor (Deansgate to Piccadilly) is the main issue and that was made worse by the Ordsall Chord in 2017 which allowed trains from Leeds etc to run from Victoria to Piccadilly and on to the airport. Now some think the problem is the Windsor link which joined Salford Crescent to the Castlefield corridor in 1989 and are suggesting that is cut. I believe the line that runs beside the stadium was considered as a route to run around Manchester but I guess it was more costly than Ordsall and doesn’t connect directly to the airport (it would mean running into Piccadilly and reversing back out).

In short, only if the powers that be decide a new route to the airport would benefit everyone will any rail solution happen. It would need a lot of track improvements and probably not involve Man Piccadilly so unlikely.

More likely (much much cheaper) is using the line as tram-train to connect Hadfield to Victoria.

Railforums.co.uk? Sorry but that's a step too far :)

Imagine if Sergio had missed the shot. The Rags would have won the title, and we'd have never heard the last of it, like they have.

As you say, ask any Rag, any PL football fan around the world what the most famous PL goal ever is and they will all say Sergio's goal that won City the PL title at the North stand end of the Etihad.

It would be fitting to name the stand after Sergio, regardless of his statue, and for Sergio to be there when it's full, and to open the new North stand home end.
It would also be nice for Edin to be there as without his goal for the 2-2 we wouldn’t have been in a position for 93:20. Maybe even invite mad Mario back to recognise the importance of his assist.

Both clubs are pretty much constantly sold out so I'm not sure what the point of comparing to anything else is? Pricing is another topic entirely. I can't say I've seen any sensible answers as to how you get only local fans in at cheap prices when the "tourists" could equally buy the same tickets?
Exactly !!! And the same issue will be when they open the new stand thinking it’s gonna turn the Etihad into La Bombonera, when in reality it will be filled with tourists that sit down and don’t sing.

And the post above above about LFC discounts on tickets for locals - the amount of tickets available under that scheme is so low that it’s simply a PR stunt.

Liverpool have a very limited number of £9 tickets per match. They have less season ticket holders than we have because they have more match day ticket sales and make more money that way from the tourists, day trippers and Norwegians.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.