North Stand Construction Discussion

I wonder if they had such debates when moving from Hyde Road to Maine Road!!!

I reckon they were all pissed when that debate was taking place. I mean, let’s name the terrace down the side after a street that opens up outside the stand behind the goal? And let’s name the stand behind the other goal after a lane about six streets away from the ground?

Please City, don’t name a stand after a player. I love Sergio, but there could be bigger legends than him in 20/30 years time. I like the three statues outside the ground now, but are we going to keep on building them for every great player that leaves the club? Stand namings should be reserved for a few decades.

So why has this 'solution' been ignored ?
Because the railways are not going to spend multi-millions on a train service that would be used for part of a day on a very short length of track for a maximum of 26-27 home matches a year?

I hate to keep trying to inject realism into pipe dreams. But someone needs to.

Please City, don’t name a stand after a player. I love Sergio, but there could be bigger legends than him in 20/30 years time. I like the three statues outside the ground now, but are we going to keep on building them for every great player that leaves the club? Stand namings should be reserved for a few decades.

We have a stand named after Colin Bell! Arguably we have bigger legends now but he was iconic at the time and still is now. Aguero for that goal will always be a hero. Others might win more or break records but as the scorer of such an iconic goal and our record scorer he is more than deserving of having a stand named after him.

If you ask any non-City supporter about Manchester City it is his goal they would talk about. Not the time he scored it. It has to be his stand! Where might we have been without his goal? Maybe the damage from that moment means we consistently fail to win the league? Cup final goals are huge and plenty of players have brought further success. Yaya at Wembley. But when it comes to home games that remains the goal that stands out. The come back against Villa was arguably better but the context to his goal and the fact it was a battle against the rags and had been so long, and the goal coming at that end...there's no other answer!

We have a stand named after Colin Bell! Arguably we have bigger legends now but he was iconic at the time and still is now. Aguero for that goal will always be a hero. Others might win more or break records but as the scorer of such an iconic goal and our record scorer he is more than deserving of having a stand named after him.

If you ask any non-City supporter about Manchester City it is his goal they would talk about. Not the time he scored it. It has to be his stand! Where might we have been without his goal? Maybe the damage from that moment means we consistently fail to win the league? Cup final goals are huge and plenty of players have brought further success. Yaya at Wembley. But when it comes to home games that remains the goal that stands out. The come back against Villa was arguably better but the context to his goal and the fact it was a battle against the rags and had been so long, and the goal coming at that end...there's no other answer!

Could you not say the same about Paul Dickov though. Without him we might never have made it where we are now.

It’s very difficult to name a stand after a player. I’d argue trautman and sumerbee have as much right as aguero to have a stand named after them.

Sumerbee for example has served our club for decades and he was integral to one of our most successful eras

Let’s say foden wins 6 more league titles and gets a hat trick to win the champions league, I’d argue he’d deserve one.

It’s probably easier to name a home end after a street or area as done previously. The ardwick end for example

Last edited:

Imagine if Sergio had missed the shot. The Rags would have won the title, and we'd have never heard the last of it, like they have.

As you say, ask any Rag, any PL football fan around the world what the most famous PL goal ever is and they will all say Sergio's goal that won City the PL title at the North stand end of the Etihad.

It would be fitting to name the stand after Sergio, regardless of his statue, and for Sergio to be there when it's full, and to open the new North stand home end.

Last edited:
Could you not say the same about Paul Dickov though. Without him we might never have made it where we are now.

It’s very difficult to name a stand after a player. I’d argue trautman and sumerbee have as much right as aguero to have a stand named after them.

Sumerbee for example has served our club for decades and he was integral to one of our most successful eras

Let’s say foden wins 6 more league titles and gets a hat trick to win the champions league, I’d argue he’d deserve one.

It’s probably easier to name a home end after a street or area as done previously. The ardwick end for example

You can make lots of arguments for others mate, and I accept we have and will have plenty of legends/heroes etc. But as I said before Aguero's goal was at that end so it is such a logical and fitting tribute. I'm sure the museum will provide the rightful legacy for many others.

It does make you wonder why this hasn’t indeed been considered before, but perhaps it’s just not possible.
However as that existing tram line gets more and more crowded surely another connection could be considered. It would take off a lot of pressure off that existing tram line, and effectively it would bypass the City centre through to Victoria. A connection to Piccadilly would be costly but surely worthwhile from a profitable point of view. Their tills could sh1t money in the future and everyone is a winner
When you think that Old Trafford is serviced by three Metrolink stops very close by that service six different Met lines, a train station, larger more free flowing roads with a Motorway close by and even water taxis on the canal from Sale… and we have just one Met stop that goes in just two directions and the odd buses but with smaller less free flowing roads and no Motorway nearby… someone somewhere at City or TfGM should be thinking ‘if they’re increasing capacity and there’s going to be an arena opening, surely more transport links are required?!’

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.