North Stand Construction Discussion

Would it be just two seasons though, if it is that extensive a change? Likely longer.

And the extra cost of the additional demolition, actual reconstruction and changes to an existing structural set-up, etc.

Would it really be worth it, and how quantifiable is the improvement to the atmosphere to really compare the two.

I dare bet the club considered it btw, for what it's worth.
Would it be just two seasons though, if it is that extensive a change? Likely longer.

And the extra cost of the additional demolition, actual reconstruction and changes to an existing structural set-up, etc.

Would it really be worth it, and how quantifiable is the improvement to the atmosphere to really compare the two.

I dare bet the club considered it btw, for what it's worth.
Not a chance we ever considered closing the entire stand for the final 18 months of Pep’s era.

The reality is once the new stand is built is it will be filled with new fans and tourists. Even if a couple of thousand ‘singers’ relocated to a new singing stand - the remaining tickets will be filled by tourists and new fans. They pick up the slack in ticket sales at the moment so why would anybody think it will be any different when they add another 8000 seats ?

Not a chance we ever considered closing the entire stand for the final 18 months of Pep’s era.

The reality is once the new stand is built is it will be filled with new fans and tourists. Even if a couple of thousand ‘singers’ relocated to a new singing stand - the remaining tickets will be filled by tourists and new fans. They pick up the slack in ticket sales at the moment so why would anybody think it will be any different when they add another 8000 seats ?
Of course it will be filled with new fans, did you think current fans would buy 2 tickets,is that bad ?

I meant they would have considered the practicalities and whether it is worth it.

Rather than considered doing it.

I have no problem with it btw, or any real concerns.

For me we should be ripping out the entire north stand and building one huge, single tier which is all safe standing. Instead what we will have the usual lower tier of singers with a single upper tier which no doubt will be corporate for the first few rows and the rest behind.

Splitting the new stand over 2 tiers won’t help the atmosphere much and if the bottom of the upper tier is sold off as corporate then this again would mean pushing any atmosphere into the back of the stand.

Feels frustrating that we have a great chance to build a single tier, like Spurs, and we ain’t doing it. Might as well match the new stand up to the other end and spread over 3 tiers because I don’t see any improvement based on what we already have (aside from increased capacity).
With the increased capacity of the 2nd tier, they could move the entire family stand up to that level - it's effectively not a family stand anymore anyway, but has traditionally discouraged standing and singing most songs due to the number of kids.

If they move the kids upstairs, they could put safe standing in to match the other end, so there would be standing behind both goals. That would be more effective than a single tier with mixed membership

If they move the kids upstairs, they could put safe standing in to match the other end, so there would be standing behind both goals.
Personally I think that would be a massive waste of the opportunity of a new unified singing section under a roof specifically designed to make sound travel round the stadium, like it does when chants start in SSL3. It would be a repeat of the issues in SSL1 where chants don't spread as well as SSL3 because it is under an overhang.

The opportunity to do huge banner and other displays on the expanded L2 would be wasted also. As shown in the plans, the roof will be designed to enable drop down banners which cover the second tier.

Any idea whether the club plans to release more season tickets upon completion of this expansion?

Personally I think that would be a massive waste of the opportunity of a new unified singing section under a roof specifically designed to make sound travel round the stadium, like it does when chants start in SSL3. It would be a repeat of the issues in SSL1 where chants don't spread as well as SSL3 because it is under an overhang.

The opportunity to do huge banner and other displays on the expanded L2 would be wasted also. As shown in the plans, the roof will be designed to enable drop down banners which cover the second tier.

I can't help but feel it's come too late. People made the move to the South Stand to attempt to create a "home end" of sorts but that didn't work out for the reasons you mention. I'm not sure how many will have the energy or desire to move to the other end of the ground now. With the wider facilities it seems the perfect place for people to go, have some booze and then get in a huge 2nd tier and have a sing song. It's not ideal have the GA+ seats in there - especially prominent at the bottom of the 2nd tier but the majority of the stand will be rocking and for the big games you know it will still be banging even if its full of tourists with half and half scarves. Once the noise gets going and everyone is singing no one will care about what the make up of the people in the ground are.

I can't help but feel it's come too late. People made the move to the South Stand to attempt to create a "home end" of sorts but that didn't work out for the reasons you mention. I'm not sure how many will have the energy or desire to move to the other end of the ground now.
I agree. It's going to take a lot of persuasion, coordination, planning by the club with fans and fan groups to make it work and convince people to move. Which is why I think all the confusion/lack of information surrounding the "GA+" section at the front of L2 (would I think would ruin and put a lot of people off moving) is not helpful at all, a clear plan on this and relocations is needed sooner rather than later, instead of a scramble over a few weeks the summer it opens.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.