North Stand Construction Discussion

Whatever happens, given the potential plans the NS is gonna be the place to be, the second tier alone is probably going to hold 9-10,000, plus tier1 with the potential to create a unique atmosphere, id like it to be bigger than the Kop & stretford end (easily doable) no chance of trumping Spurs though, we could make it iconic. When you add the arena, tram stop, improved City square & club shop, museum and hotel at that end, then I’m sure a large proportion of supporters are gonna want to be a part of it, it will be some sight looking across from my seat in CB1 & I can’t wait for that first roar coming from the Kippax!

I’m sure many of you fellow FOCs remember the singing part of the old Kippax stand. If you’re too young to remember, facing the pitch, it was in the top left corner of the stand, right next to the set of railings between the home and away fans, and above the tunnel, shown in the picture.

It’s hard to try and even guess the amount of singers in that corner, but it must have been in the 1000’s. Once the chants got going they would spread across the rest of the Kippax with 1000’s of other City fans joining in with the chants. And because the roof was low and cathedral shaped internally, the noise and atmosphere would carry and spill out across Maine Road.

The highlight chants for me were, Here we go, Let’s all have a disco, and we’re City, we’re barmy, we’re off our f*cking heads. When those 3 chants got going everyone would be piling into each other, you’d be carried up, down and along the Kippax by the sheer number of people moving in different directions, and more often than not you’d end up in another part of the singing section, and you’d have to make your way back to where you were originally stood, if you could get back there, as everyone was so close together . Magaical times. :-) Sadly never to be involved in again.

6696926B-C2F5-4915-B215-4C5FB921F68C.jpeg

Outside the back of the Kippax singing corner, the tunnel entrance, and next to the stairs, left, leading to the away end. Before the hill was paved it used to be grass with a concrete and stone top. I used sit up there before the match and at half-time watching and enjoying all the chants, banter and swearing that took place between City fans and the away fans either side of the metal railings.

4763BDFE-4C93-4BA2-8C34-C8B197D6707C.jpeg

Click on the link below for a great read and some fascinating old pictures of the Kippax.

‘The North End was a similarly obvious name for the terrace to its left’

Last edited:
Don’t see the point in moving fans from the south stand to the north stand.
The reason the atmosphere is shit in the ground is because all the singing is at one end and doesn’t travel around the ground,
I’ve said it before if you want a great atmosphere all around the ground then you don’t need all the singers together in one place, you need groups spread out around the ground.

I’m sure many of you fellow FOCs remember the singing part of the old Kippax stand. If you’re too young to remember, facing the pitch, it was in the top left corner of the stand, right next to the set of railings between the home and away fans, and above the tunnel, shown in the picture.

It’s hard to try and even guess the amount of singers in that corner, but it must have been in the 1000’s. Once the chants got going they would spread across the rest of the Kippax with 1000’s of other City fans joining in with the chants. And because the roof was low and cathedral shaped internally, the noise and atmosphere would carry and spill out across Maine Road.

The highlight chants for me were, Here we go, Let’s all have a disco, and we’re City, we’re barmy, we’re off our f*cking heads. When those 3 chants got going everyone would be piling into each other, you’d be carried up, down and along the Kippax by the sheer number of people moving in different directions, and more often than not you’d end up in another part of the singing section, and you’d have to make your way back to where you were originally stood, if you could get back there, as everyone was so close together . Magaical times. :-) Sadly never to be involved in again.

View attachment 65766

Outside the back of the Kippax singing corner, the tunnel entrance, and next to the stairs, left, leading to the away end. Before the hill was paved it used to be grass with a concrete and stone top. I used sit up there before the match and at half-time watching and enjoying all the chants, banter and swearing that took place between City fans and the away fans either side of the metal railings.

View attachment 65767

Click on the link below for a great read and some fascinating old pictures of the Kippax.

The good old days of having to move during the game so you could see round the bloody pillar!!

The reason the atmosphere is shit in the ground is because all the singing is at one end and doesn’t travel around the ground,
I’ve said it before if you want a great atmosphere all around the ground then you don’t need all the singers together in one place, you need groups spread out around the ground.

I don’t think anyones said let’s move all the fans from the south stand. The south stand as it is doesn’t work anyway

On your second point I’m not sure I agree on that either. Surely having 10,000 all stood in one area would be miles better then what we have now and would vastly improve the noise levels. You aren’t going to get groups of fans all around the ground.

Last edited:
View attachment 65767

My obligatory post whenever that photo pops up to say it's mine it's mine I took that!!!! I

Let Gary James use it in his book, and of course once it's in a book people scan and it's out there forever!

But I took it, mum was with me, took it the final season of the Kippax with a couple of games to go. Took a lot that season, and for the Kippax new build, and all the way through to Maine Road demolition.

There will certainly be enough be people attracted by the idea of a Kippax style 'home end' to create a noisy atmosphere so that part is inevitable. If the acoustics of the roof allows chants to spread around the ground from NSL2 then the atmosphere should drastically improve all around the ground. Personally I wouldn't mind if some fans stayed in the South Stand as it would potentially allow the noise to serenade between the two stands creating a noisy atmosphere. Not to mention it would drown the away fans out and make them feel more intimidated being surrounded on all sides if we put them down in the corner in 109-113/114.

Some will stay,some will relocate.
Those in the ESL1 singing section will have to move to one of the ends IF the club reposition the away fans and bend em round the corner.
If all this happens (and there doesn't seem to be any fundamental reason it shouldn't...WHERE THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY... ) two home ends will be created, which could create fantastic noise.

This is probably the last chance for the club and fans to completely fix all the atmosphere, safety and fan relationship issues that have built up over the years.

I sincerely hope that the club spend as much time on the detail planning of this as they do on the rest of the campus development because, for the fans,it's unquestionably the most important.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.