North Stand Construction Discussion

They wouldn't be replicating it because the current situation is way off ideal:

1) The singers are miles from the roof so their noise doesn't sound loud
2) The songs can't spead right because the away fans are right next door
3) The songs are drowned out by adjecent away fans so don't spread
4) There are two seperate groups of singers who can't hear each other.

It's all about the way songs spread organically around a stadium having started in one place. Whatever the mix in the current safe standing areas, they are the most voal supporters and they'd have to be encouraged to move to the new stand first. They would make or break this. Only 1000 initially would be enough. Build it (and make it work) and they will come. There are thousands of thousands of would-be singers in our stadium who would sing if they had a leader and others did.

It's not about setting up a "singing section" as you keep saying. It shoudl be about concentrating the noisiest fans in one place so it spreads.

I was referring to the cheaper season tickets. You'd end up with the same mixture in the North stand as you've got in the South stand if that happened. There would be a pile on for cheaper season tickets in the North stand.

The stand won't be ready for another 3 years, so if season tickets continue to rise season upon season that will be at least another 2 season ticket price rises before the North stand season tickets are available to buy. So trying to gauge a price for season tickets now is pretty impossible.

Other factors such as tier 2 season ticket availability, Platinum, Gold, Silver, singing section season tickets, age season tickets, match day tickets, etc, all have to be factored in by the club.

The new North stand, roof and acoustics will look after themselves.

I was referring to the cheaper season tickets. You'd end up with the same mixture in the North stand as you've got in the South stand if that happened. There would be a pile on for cheaper season tickets in the North stand.

The stand won't be ready for another 3 years, so if season tickets continue to rise season upon season that will be at least another 2 season ticket price rises before the North stand season tickets are available to buy. So trying to gauge a price for season tickets now is pretty impossible.

Other factors such as tier 2 season ticket availability, Platinum, Gold, Silver, singing section season tickets, age season tickets, match day tickets, etc, all have to be factored in by the club.

The new North stand, roof and acoustics will look after themselves.
If everyone in the south stand lower relocated to the middle of the north stnd upper tier we'd have a new Kippax in my opinion. That's all it would take.

In the meeting 4 of us had with the club 2 weeks ago, the club is 100% behind a better atmosphere. The benefits of a game that is buzzing are endless. We are working together.

If we get 3 blocks filled with atmosphere minded fans in each tier we are looking at 4,000 - 5,000 fans. This will get the stadium going.
Well said Trevor. It is great to hear the club is listening. I’m also of a mind that this the NS expansion is a once in a generation opportunity. Not just an opportunity to make a better noise, it’s also got to be a generational opportunity to improve accessibility to the club by providing more STs at a manageable price. If we improve accessibility to the club to younger and local fans that is bound to help increase the noise as the vibe catches amongst fans who are excited to be there. I’ve heard it said that the average age of our ST holders is 55. By the time the new NS stand is finished that will be closer to 60.

The challenge of creating a better atmosphere can’t all be placed on the shoulders of older Blues. Those born after the takeover have to step up and learn how it’s done in good numbers, and they won’t do that if they are shut out of the ground. We can’t just shift around the same vocal fans, we have to get new vocal fans in and keep them.

The club is doing great work to make kids feel like they are part of a CLUB. But the fact that the NS isn’t packed full of families - its pretty much the same mix you’d find anywhere in the ground with just a few more kids and slightly less effing and jeffing - tells us City has to do more to get parents, kids and teens into the ground.

Well said Trevor. It is great to hear the club is listening. I’m also of a mind that this the NS expansion is a once in a generation opportunity. Not just an opportunity to make a better noise, it’s also got to be a generational opportunity to improve accessibility to the club by providing more STs at a manageable price. If we improve accessibility to the club to younger and local fans that is bound to help increase the noise as the vibe catches amongst fans who are excited to be there. I’ve heard it said that the average age of our ST holders is 55. By the time the new NS stand is finished that will be closer to 60.

The challenge of creating a better atmosphere can’t all be placed on the shoulders of older Blues. Those born after the takeover have to step up and learn how it’s done in good numbers, and they won’t do that if they are shut out of the ground. We can’t just shift around the same vocal fans, we have to get new vocal fans in and keep them.

The club is doing great work to make kids feel like they are part of a CLUB. But the fact that the NS isn’t packed full of families - its pretty much the same mix you’d find anywhere in the ground with just a few more kids and slightly less effing and jeffing - tells us City has to do more to get parents, kids and teens into the ground.
Is it families we need or dads n lads ? I always went with my old man so I’ve no real experience of attending as a family but had my mum been there too I definitely wouldn’t have joined in with many of the chants that I did and nor would my old man.

Regardless, I think the future is rosy atmosphere wise. I had the fortune / misfortune to get a cup ticket at the back of 115 earlier this season and man do those kids put a shift in - they barely pause for breath, non stop singing. If you put that little group of maybe 200 lads in the middle of a stand where the acoustics help rather than hinder them and surround them with other like minded blues they’ll take the fucking roof off every week

Mistakes are already being made here in my opinion.

What we don’t want is everyone to move to the new North Stand and then for there to be a clear divide between the lower and upper tiers due to people being spit between the two areas.

It begs the question of what the point is of an expanded upper tier if a large % of the singers are going into the lower section, which is completely disconnected from the newly expanded upper tier?

For me, the expanded upper tier needs to be the clear and obvious focal point of the expansion. That’s the whole point of having an expanded upper tier as opposed to a third tier. If people are going in the bottom then the expanded upper tier is almost completely redundant as a device to get singers together.

In terms of displays, I actually think they would look better on an expanded upper section. We can have larger flags that don’t need to be spread across two tiers and other displays and banners can be hung over the front of the upper tier as well. That walking boat that appeared a year or two ago would look great being walked across the front of the expanded section.

Also, I wouldn’t say you were ‘up in the gods’ if you’re at the front of the second tier. Maybe that would be a good place for you so you can have a good view, drape banners over the front of the tier and pull down large displays.

Great post mate.

I always went with my old man so I’ve no real experience of attending as a family but had my mum been there too I definitely wouldn’t have joined in with many of the chants that I did and nor would my old man.

What, you mean you just would have left your mum to chant them on her own?!
Not very sporting of you.

I had the fortune / misfortune to get a cup ticket at the back of 115 earlier this season and man do those kids put a shift in - they barely pause for breath, non stop singing. If you put that little group of maybe 200 lads in the middle of a stand where the acoustics help rather than hinder them and surround them with other like minded blues they’ll take the fucking roof off every week

As it is, the acoustics of the whole of the SS militate against collective singing. I'm in second level, only three rows from the front (great seat, by the way). You can barely hear singing either in the bottom tier, or the upper one, when it's going on. And I know for a fact that the second tier has on occasions made quite a racket — because I've joined in (undignified as it is for a man of my advanced years!) — but I'm not at all sure that's it's audible above and below, either.
The club must not get the North Stand wrong, if it's going ahead with it. It really is a once-in-a-generation opportunity.
Just before first lockdown, I was at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. I have to say that they've got it right. It is a magnificent stadium (shame about the trophies…). And that huge wall of supporters makes an impressive sound, when things are going their way.

Is it families we need or dads n lads ? I always went with my old man so I’ve no real experience of attending as a family but had my mum been there too I definitely wouldn’t have joined in with many of the chants that I did and nor would my old man.

Regardless, I think the future is rosy atmosphere wise. I had the fortune / misfortune to get a cup ticket at the back of 115 earlier this season and man do those kids put a shift in - they barely pause for breath, non stop singing. If you put that little group of maybe 200 lads in the middle of a stand where the acoustics help rather than hinder them and surround them with other like minded blues they’ll take the fucking roof off every week
Dad and lads describes me to a tee. My Gooner Mrs no longer comes with us and much as she loves footy, shes not as keen on the shouting and singing and if she doesn’t come, it means we have a cheekier time.

But I know there are mums who take sons and daughters and dads with their girls and nans and grandads too - so when I means families I just mean anyone who is bringing along a younger blue they’re related to, as that is the future of our ‘legacy’ support.

As it is, the acoustics of the whole of the SS militate against collective singing. I'm in second level, only three rows from the front (great seat, by the way). You can barely hear singing either in the bottom tier, or the upper one, when it's going on. And I know for a fact that the second tier has on occasions made quite a racket — because I've joined in (undignified as it is for a man of my advanced years!) — but I'm not at all sure that's it's audible above and below, either.
The club must not get the North Stand wrong, if it's going ahead with it. It really is a once-in-a-generation opportunity.
Just before first lockdown, I was at the Tottenham I Hotspur Stadium. I have to say that they've got it right. It is a magnificent stadium (shame about the trophies…). And that huge wall of supporters makes an impressive sound, when things are going their way.
I sat in a box with seats on the second tier for the Fulham cup game in the corner of the stadium where the south stand joins the Colin bell. I couldn’t believe it. You could see people singing in the lower tiers but could hardly hear anything even though they were really close. From the top tier of the Colin Bell in the opposite corner you can hear the singing much more clearly even though you are further away. I think that’s because I am more or less facing them so the sound travels that way. The acoustics are just bizarre. The nearest Ive found to it is Wembley which is similar. In both stadiums you can get a real din going but only if the sound collects in the middle after bouncing off the roofs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.