North Stand Expansion

I know what they can do, but I see what they have done and that's make a lot of mistakes. They got the singing section in the expanded SS all wrong. The SS expansion looks okay and nothing more, and in general from the outside it's a pretty unattractive stadium. The Design and Access Statement from the extant permission showed the potential for lighting and displays on the externals which would transform the stadium, but nothing has come forwards. Hopefully that's just because they want everything in place first, and we'll see more ambition with his next stage. I recognise it's working to existing constraints so a difficult job, but I'm hoping there's some real wow factor to this design, which has been a bit lacking so far.
Our owners were not responsible for the design, appearance or licensing/safety protocols which were established almost 20 years ago.

The stadium and campus will be a ' destination ' with facilities, image and appearance to match.

For example take a look at the wrapping of the Yas Islands Hotel at the F1 arena.

It will all take several years but will be worth waiting for.

Hopefully the expanded North stand will have a totally different exterior and look about it, compared to all the other stands. And it can be carried on around the rest of the ground over time? If it’s similar to the North stand expansion, grey, with an industrial look, and plant showing at the top of the stand, that won’t be great. I have faith in the club and the snippets posted by other forum members that this will be something special or at least very good, and totally different to the stands we have. Fingers crossed.
You need symmetry so North and South will look the same

Our owners were not responsible for the design, appearance or licensing/safety protocols which were established almost 20 years ago.

The stadium and campus will be a ' destination ' with facilities, image and appearance to match.

For example take a look at the wrapping of the Yas Islands Hotel at the F1 arena.

It will all take several years but will be worth waiting for.

They weren't, but they've been responsible for the South Stand and upkeep of the stadium which is pretty poor. They could have done temporary measures to improve the elevational treatment of the stadium, as we're now 15 years on from the takeover and any works to the east and west stands are probably 10 years away. That's a long time to wait before making any external improvements. City square was also a bit of a half-arsed job, but I'm willing to forgive that if what is to come stands out.

Whilst our owners are brilliant and capable of amazing things, it's always about a return. You get that return in Abu Dhabi where people will spend a fortune for 5star. An out of town events area which only functions on certain days and is hard to get to, is unlikely to warrant that same kind of standard. But we will see. I'm happy to be wrong on this, in fact I'll be over the moon.

You need symmetry so North and South will look the same

If it's a 2 tier as rumored it won't be the same.

I doubt very much it will be anything like the
exterior of the South stand. I certainly hope not.

However, I do like the shape of the roof.

etihad-stadium153-2.jpg

Lol! Cheeky Sods are using my pictures. At least they've credited me. Think I remember them asking if they could use my pictures?

Of course we’re not allowed to bring flares and smokies in the ground.

AIK, Sweden. Tier 2 support.

I always wonder how they're able to get all them flares into the ground. It's the same in Dortmund, and I got the most thorough pat down I've ever had at dortmund back in October.

If they got the same check I got there was no way they were getting flares in, let alone that many

They weren't, but they've been responsible for the South Stand and upkeep of the stadium which is pretty poor. They could have done temporary measures to improve the elevational treatment of the stadium, as we're now 15 years on from the takeover and any works to the east and west stands are probably 10 years away. That's a long time to wait before making any external improvements. City square was also a bit of a half-arsed job, but I'm willing to forgive that if what is to come stands out.

Whilst our owners are brilliant and capable of amazing things, it's always about a return. You get that return in Abu Dhabi where people will spend a fortune for 5star. An out of town events area which only functions on certain days and is hard to get to, is unlikely to warrant that same kind of standard. But we will see. I'm happy to be wrong on this, in fact I'll be over the moon.
Transportation in its widest sense is our biggest downfall/ area of improvement.

It is scandalous that the campus is so underserved by metro on matchdays.

The new area parking restrictions are also going to be a hindrance to many fans/visitors.

It is to be hoped and expected that the club will be in detailed discussions with the operators and GMC to produce sustainable solutions.

Etihad Rail has a good ring to it and the are spending billions on expanding the network across the GCC

I always wonder how they're able to get all them flares into the ground. It's the same in Dortmund, and I got the most thorough pat down I've ever had at dortmund back in October.

If they got the same check I got there was no way they were getting flares in, let alone that many
Basel managed it at the Etihad.

That's what came to my mind, either a Freeview STB or a small games console. I don't like the exterior finish one little bit.

It’s the inside that’s the important bit.

It’s a square plot of land which had to be maximised.

Admittedly it’s not the most exciting or eye catching design, but not very arena has to look like a shiny space ship.

It’s the inside that’s the important bit.

It’s a square plot of land which had to be maximised.

Admittedly it’s not the most exciting or eye catching design, but not very arena has to look like a shiny space ship.
Really? This thread is full of people complaining that The Etihad is "miles behind" the likes of Arsenal & Spurs from an exterior viewpoint.

It doesn't have to look like a spaceship no, however it should at least look like a stadium and not a cheap piece of tech.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.