North Stand Expansion

Thanks for getting in touch about public transport provision to the Co-Op Live Arena which is due to open this April.

I'm aware of the challenges related to the venue's location and capacity and I would like to assure you that Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) has been working closely with the Co-op Live Arena on plans around transport to and from the venue.

All parties are working together to limit the impact to the overall transport network. Detailed travel information will be published ahead of the venue opening with a particular focus on public transport services to and from the arena. In support of this, additional capacity has already been introduced on the tram network, with services now operating every six minutes between the city centre and Etihad Campus and additional strengthening planned during events.

I've spoken to TfGM about your suggestion of restoring rail services on the Phillips Park line to help people get to and from the area, and they've advised this isn't an option that's being considered. This is largely due to the fact that it would be difficult to justify the business case and cost involved for such a project purely from an events perspective. There is also nowhere for trains to go at either end of the line and capacity issues across central Manchester on existing infrastructure. The focus will, instead, be on enhancing other public transport, including dedicated bus services. More details will be announced by TfGM and the arena in the coming weeks.

I trust the above proves useful and thanks for taking the time to get in touch and share your feedback.

Andy Burnham

Mayor of Greater Manchester
So 10 buses and an extra tram? Lovely

The new bus service which comes into operation this Saturday against Chelsea and increased Metro service during events must be their transport solution for both stadium and arena, not sure it’s going to be successful moving forward, appears like a transport scheme that can be easily pulled if not successful, with no permanent transport infrastructure funding. How about spending some of the HS2 funding on a proper transport system.

Last edited:
The new bus service which comes into operation this Saturday against Chelsea and increased Metro service during events must be their transport solution for both stadium and arena, not sure it’s going to be successful moving forward, appears like a transport scheme that can be easily pulled if not successful, with no permanent transport infrastructure funding. How about spending some of the HS2 funding on a proper transport system.

The Department of Transport is already siphoning the HS2 savings down south. We will see very little if any of that money. I’m hearing the promised electrification of the Trans Pennine route is about to be pulled yet again.

The Department of Transport is already siphoning the HS2 savings down south. We will see very little if any of that money. I’m hearing the promised electrification of the Trans Pennine route is about to be pulled yet again.
I would expect that most of the HS2 money doesn’t exist

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.