North Stand Expansion

So 10 buses and an extra tram? Lovely
Anyone who thinks that a new dedicated heavy rail line will be opened for a 1.5 mile journey is living in cloud cuckoo land. That will still apply after the Co-op Live venue is opened.

It would be cheaper to provide free taxis for every traveller. Heavy rail projects are eye-wateringly expensive.

It would be more productive arguing for more trams at key times and extra shuttle buses.

Anyone who thinks that a new dedicated heavy rail line will be opened for a 1.5 mile journey is living in cloud cuckoo land. That will still apply after the Co-op Live venue is opened.

It would be cheaper to provide free taxis for every traveller. Heavy rail projects are eye-wateringly expensive.

It would be more productive arguing for more trams at key times and extra shuttle buses.
It wouldn't be a new line since the Phillips Park line already exists, it would be a new service on an existing line for when the existing infrastructure of other methods of public transport exceeds capacity. It's already is doing that more frequently than it ought to. There's co-op live, hotels and business space as part of the City expansion on the way, as well as the Euros coming up. Though, come to think of it, I suppose they will make sure nothing will clash with that and avoid embaressing the country as best they can.

What would probably be needed is a station, a bit of track to offload the trains onto at either end, possibly a bit more(access and the likes). It was just an idea floated by a few people, rather than an expectation(nobody is surprised to hear it's deemed too expensive to justify... for Manchester). How it would be done and how much this would cost are things that I don't think anyone should be pretending they have much knowledge about unless they genuinely do.

I'd wager that it would cost a lot less than the ridiculous waste of public money that the HS2 is going to do, which benefits mainly London, who already have it better than most of the UK in terms of transport infrastructure. If the Eastlands area continues to attract more property investment and business investment though, it's only going to get more expensive down the road. If at some point, they have to accept that there's only so far adding more buses and trams onto the same routes(roads and tram lines which already have congestion issues) will get you.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a new line since the Phillips Park line already exists, it would be a new service on an existing line for when the existing infrastructure of other methods of public transport exceeds capacity. It's already is doing that more frequently than it ought to. There's co-op live, hotels and business space as part of the City expansion on the way, as well as the Euros coming up. Though, come to think of it, I suppose they will make sure nothing will clash with that and avoid embaressing the country as best they can.

What would probably be needed is a station, a bit of track to offload the trains onto at either end, possibly a bit more(access and the likes). It was just an idea floated by a few people, rather than an expectation(nobody is surprised to hear it's deemed too expensive to justify... for Manchester). How it would be done and how much this would cost are things that I don't think anyone should be pretending they have much knowledge about unless they genuinely do.

I'd wager that it would cost a lot less than the ridiculous waste of public money that the HS2 is going to do, which benefits mainly London, who already have it better than most of the UK in terms of transport infrastructure. If the Eastlands area continues to attract more property investment and business investment though, it's only going to get more expensive down the road. If at some point, they have to accept that there's only so far adding more buses and trams onto the same routes(roads and tram lines which already have congestion issues) will get you.
Well said, I only emailed a suggestion to the mayor's office as coming shortly will be we told you so moment, the reason Wembley is successful because it has a tube line and one end and a train line at the other.

Please look up most of the successful concert arenas in the UK most of them are next to a rail station tube or tram stop.

The COOP Live is one of the biggest arenas in the UK but does have a train station that connects with

Well said, I only emailed a suggestion to the mayor's office as coming shortly will be we told you so moment, the reason Wembley is successful because it has a tube line and one end and a train line at the other.

Please look up most of the successful concert arenas in the UK most of them are next to a rail station tube or tram stop.

The COOP Live is one of the biggest arenas in the UK but does have a train station that connects with
The biggest and one of the biggest in the world...

It would need electrification and re-building the viaduct into Piccadilly as well. It’s not the answer to the problem at the moment, when in reality most people can walk the distance to existing rail services in the city. That’s not to say it won’t ever happen, just not in the next decade or two I wouldn’t have thought.

Trains are best thought of as solutions for travellers from miles away. A stop built on the Phillips Park line would need to be on a service from say, Leeds to the airport, where it has the potential to be profitable in both directions, and they would be 2 or 3 an hour. Not really suitable for moving a large number of people in a short time, and of course the route to the airport from there doesn’t currently exist, which is why trains go around the west of the city.

Terminating at Piccadilly via a new viaduct is a possibility maybe but would take decades to pay for itself. They did consider this 20 years ago before building the Ordsall Chord but it was the direct route to the airport that made them go with what they did. Re-opening Park station could be a solution but it’s still a 3/4 mile walk versus 1.5 miles to Piccadilly, it’s not perfect, but it would be on existing routes (Southport to Stalybridge, Liverpool to Newcastle) but they’re only 1 or 2 per hour.

For football though we need more frequent services and if Metrolink can’t do that it needs to be buses. I think as the land between the city and the stadium gets developed with new housing and shops, it won’t be as bad a walk as it currently is. And the Sandhills tram stop will be closer than Victoria when it’s built (1.5 miles). Then of course the facilities at the ground will soon improve for those able to hang around after the game. City Square was a bit grim before but hopefully it’ll be something very different in just 2 years. If passengers can be spread out over a longer time we might just cope with what we have. More investment in the Ashton tram line to reduce overcrowding would still be welcome though.

TL:DR
There’s lots of things to consider before splashing out mega millions on new train stations. They’re still in the process of getting buses under control and simpler ticketing and then hopefully bringing trains within GM into it. Just be patient.

Last edited:
It would need electrification and re-building the viaduct into Piccadilly as well. It’s not the answer to the problem at the moment, when in reality most people can walk the distance to existing rail services in the city. That’s not to say it won’t ever happen, just not in the next decade or two I wouldn’t have thought.

Trains are best thought of as solutions for travellers from miles away. A stop built on the Phillips Park line would need to be on a service from say, Leeds to the airport, where it has the potential to be profitable in both directions, and they would be 2 or 3 an hour. Not really suitable for moving a large number of people in a short time, and of course the route to the airport from there doesn’t currently exist, which is why trains go around the west of the city.

Terminating at Piccadilly via a new viaduct is a possibility maybe but would take decades to pay for itself. They did consider this 20 years ago before building the Ordsall Chord but it was the direct route to the airport that made them go with what they did. Re-opening Park station could be a solution but it’s still a 3/4 mile walk versus 1.5 miles to Piccadilly, it’s not perfect, but it would be on existing routes (Southport to Stalybridge, Liverpool to Newcastle) but they’re only 1 or 2 per hour.

For football though we need more frequent services and if Metrolink can’t do that it needs to be buses. I think as the land between the city and the stadium gets developed with new housing and shops, it won’t be as bad a walk as it currently is. And the Sandhills tram stop will be closer than Victoria when it’s built (1.5 miles). Then of course the facilities at the ground will soon improve for those able to hang around after the game. City Square was a bit grim before but hopefully it’ll be something very different in just 2 years. If passengers can be spread out over a longer time we might just cope with what we have. More investment in the Ashton tram line to reduce overcrowding would still be welcome though.

TL:DR
There’s lots of things to consider before splashing out mega millions on new train stations. They’re still in the process of getting buses under control and simpler ticketing and then hopefully bringing trains within GM into it. Just be patient.
At last, someone talking sense on this thread.

Most people getting to the Etihad by public transport will continue to travel by tram, bus, or on foot. A heavy rail service is not and will never will be an option for a 2 km journey.

There is lots of scope for improvement in the tram and bus services without vast expenditure. I would also like to see some improvements in the canal walkway including lighting.

At last, someone talking sense on this thread.

Most people getting to the Etihad by public transport will continue to travel by tram, bus, or on foot. A heavy rail service is not and will never will be an option for a 2 km journey.

There is lots of scope for improvement in the tram and bus services without vast expenditure. I would also like to see some improvements in the canal walkway including lighting.
Some planning applications for just that are already in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.