North Stand Expansion

A long way off, if ever, but if City extended the East stand first to increase the capacity of the Etihad to 68,000 - 70,000, I honestly think that would be more than enough for City. For that to happen at all City would need continued success on the pitch over the next decade at least. I think the club will settle for 62,000 for the foreseeable future. That seems to be the benchmark figure for most of the big PL clubs with new or redeveloped stadiums like Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool, bar United who are looking at building a new stadium with a capacity of 90,000.(according to Scruffy Jim & the Tax Payer)
Success is rarely guaranteed.

However we will probably remain competitive and our international fan base of occasional tourists is expanding exponentially.

Based on the experience & developments of the last 15 years I wouldn't rule anything out.

HH SHEIKH MANSOUR and Abu Dhabi do not settle for second best !!

Yes I am serious it's definitely hundreds and hundreds of yards which your first response was and my reply was about.

(Edit - apologies it was my earlier post that said no houses within hundreds of yards)

As for LED screens, yes I'm aware of how bright they are, can be and will be. The screens won't be any brighter than the LEDs that are already approved at the Co-Op Live so I'd be amazed if there was any issue with them on the north stand.

Bear in mind they haven't been approved yet, and that's now nearly a year since the application has beem submitted. Not making a comment either way on the screens themselves, just that they are not yet a fully sure thing.

Success is rarely guaranteed.

However we will probably remain competitive and our international fan base of occasional tourists is expanding exponentially.

Based on the experience & developments of the last 15 years I wouldn't rule anything out.

HH SHEIKH MANSOUR and Abu Dhabi do not settle for second best !!
More likely we do the corners 1st then they may be that for the current stadium

More likely we do the corners 1st then they may be that for the current stadium
No additional or extensive hospitality opportunities in the corners.

Every metre of additional space, and £ pound £ of spend, has to be monetised for ROI !!

Only the E&W stands provide that.

For me -

- The new large upper tier should be entirely safe standing and the ‘home end’. It would be the biggest safe standing area in the UK if this were to happen. There’s no point having an expanded upper tier if that area isn’t the ‘blue wall’, otherwise it might as well have been another 3 tiered stand.

- Sell the front rows which have access to a private bar as ‘premium safe standing’.

- Have a price structure similar to the South Stand third tier.

- Have cheaper tickets in the tier for 18-25 year olds. Give them a special window to apply.

- Let 1894 pick a couple of blocks which they will help manage.

- Get rid of the LED boards at that end so banners can be used.
Agree with all of this. It finds the middle ground between building a 'Home End' and having increased premium seating at the front. Of course I'd rather no 'GA+' there at all but unfortunately I don't think that will happen.

The only thing extra I would add is that it needs to be promoted heavily to fans heavily to get them to move. Especially those in existing areas in the South Stand who are happy where they are and don't want to go through the hassle of moving.

I understand some fans who are near the away sections don't want to leave because of this proximity, but I don't think this is a killer for most. Most in SSL3 and SSL1 aside from Blocks 314, 315, 114, 115 are i think far enough away from the away end already that they could be convinced to move further. These are the people who need to be convinced.

The biggest issue would be coordination and convincing fans to make the move, we have one chance and it must be done right.

Everyone needs to be fully aware and onboard that to move to the North Stand, means we can have a proper end. We need to bring singers in the existing areas of SSL1, SSL3, the corner and those scattered around the ground together.

I doubt there will be any fan led displays on NSL2 unless 1894 move to NSL2, and 1894 and the club come to an agreement about that. Drop down banners are a possibility on NSL2 as they do happen on SSL2 in front of the hospitality seating. City fans in the hospitality seats and along the front row of SSL2 don’t mind 1894 doing the drop down banners and even help at times. As for the telescopic flags on NSL2, that’s another issue that needs discussing between the club and 1894, if 1894 do move to NSL2?

The club will say they will do their own displays from the roof of NSL2 as shown in the PA, but they aren’t fan led displays. There is a difference, regardless if People think there isn’t a difference. 1894 and the club do work together on displays at times. The ship being a good example.

Overtime and in an ideal world both ends of the ground will have telescopic flags and drop down banners. It would be good if a group was formed from the fans on NSL2 to do telescopic flags, 2 sticks, and drop down banners.

Last edited:
Agree with all of this. It finds the middle ground between building a 'Home End' and having increased premium seating at the front. Of course I'd rather no 'GA+' there at all but unfortunately I don't think that will happen.

The only thing extra I would add is that it needs to be promoted heavily to fans heavily to get them to move. Especially those in existing areas in the South Stand who are happy where they are and don't want to go through the hassle of moving.

I understand some fans who are near the away sections don't want to leave because of this proximity, but I don't think this is a killer for most. Most in SSL3 and SSL1 aside from Blocks 314, 315, 114, 115 are i think far enough away from the away end already that they could be convinced to move further. These are the people who need to be convinced.

The biggest issue would be coordination and convincing fans to make the move, we have one chance and it must be done right.

Everyone needs to be fully aware and onboard that to move to the North Stand, means we can have a proper end. We need to bring singers in the existing areas of SSL1, SSL3, the corner and those scattered around the ground together.
I would also say that there are a lot of fans scattered around the ground that would love to join a proper home end. Lots of group can’t get into ss1. There are also lots of blues who have been priced out that would rejoin if the prices were right.

I doubt there will be any fan led displays on NSL2 unless 1894 move to NSL2, and 1894 and the club come to an agreement about that. Drop down banners are a possibility on NSL2 as they do happen on SSL2 in front of the hospitality seating. City fans in the hospitality seats and along the front row of SSL2 don’t mind 1894 doing the drop down banners and even help at times. As for the telescopic flags on NSL2, that’s another issue that needs discussing between the club and 1894, if 1894 do move to NSL2?

The club will say they will do their own displays from the roof of NSL2 as shown in the PA, but they aren’t fan lead displays. There is a difference, regardless if People think there isn’t a difference. Again TBF to the club, 1894 and the club do work together on displays at times.

Overtime and in an ideal world both ends of the ground will have telescopic flags and drop down banners. It would be good if a group was formed from the fans on NSL2 to do telescopic flags and drop down banners.
I agree with all of that. I would also like to see fans allowed to hang flags and banner from the front of north stand level 2 and encouraged to bring them into the ground. It used to look great before those electronic advertising boards came in. It’s makes a big difference visually.

European away games there’s usually loads of flags and banners on display

For me -

- The new large upper tier should be entirely safe standing and the ‘home end’. It would be the biggest safe standing area in the UK if this were to happen. There’s no point having an expanded upper tier if that area isn’t the ‘blue wall’, otherwise it might as well have been another 3 tiered stand.

- Sell the front rows which have access to a private bar as ‘premium safe standing’.

- Have a price structure similar to the South Stand third tier.

- Have cheaper tickets in the tier for 18-25 year olds. Give them a special window to apply.

- Let 1894 pick a couple of blocks which they will help manage.

- Get rid of the LED boards at that end so banners can be used.
The club won’t be having these discussions. They will be wondering how much money they can make out of this. If it turns out how you want it, it will only be so they can maximise revenue in other areas and get people to move into that stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.