Nostalgia

Lancashire United buses.
The X60 straight to Blackpool.
Belle Vue Aces speedway.
Ten pin bowling at Stretford Bowl.
Roy Race & Blackie Grey
Dan Dare.

As others have said mate, maximising the airflow, it was called “drawing the fire”, multi-fuel stoves and log burners have similar ‘in-built’ adjustable air vents to do the job now.
It was my job as a kid to get the fires going after school, one was a Rayburn the other an open heat sucking piece of shit. Used the paper all the time

Lancashire United buses.
The X60 straight to Blackpool.
Belle Vue Aces speedway.
Ten pin bowling at Stretford Bowl.
Roy Race & Blackie Grey
Dan Dare.
Fuck me I'd forgotten about speedway.
Crewe, Stoke, Bell Vue. Used to go back then. Covered in mud wherever you stood.
Then it was stockcars, or Bangor racing.
Happy days thanks for reminding me.
Brings me to motocross at hatherton, or hawkstone, brutal racing. Loved a day out there in my late teens.
Also, because I lived close to Oulton Park, we'd go every year for the transatlantic challenge. Brits v yanks. Open paddocks in them days, met Barry sheene, Roberts, all the greats, they'd just pitch up and race.

Was that a race to North Wales ?
Seriously though didn’t they used to show some Speedway on Sportsnight or Grandstand.
There is another bit of nostalgia being allowed up late to watch the former especially if City were on.
I think they did, I can vaguely remember it being shown. It must have been, cos I must have had a reason to mither my old man to take me.
I didn't realise this stuff was taking place on my doorstep.
I was probably 10 or 11 when I went to my first speedway.
Dad wasn't keen, he wasn't a fan of motorbikes, on account of being knocked off his scooter by a pissed up vicar on his way to a dirty weekend with my mum back in the day before they were even engaged, they decided to elope from alty to jersey for an illicit weekend. They got knocked off 3 times before they even got there lol.
I've still got a pic of them on the scooter at lands end. My most treasured possession.
She does look a bit battered mind. (The scooter, not my mum)

Working in offices where there was ltd monitoring technology and time for banter and a drink after work with friends made in it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.