Nostalgia

Mine had a compass in, which was a bit ironic as every time you got lost, not that I ever did in the wilds of Ashton on Mersey, you had to take your shoe off, hop around on one foot and if you could actually see the bloody thing, it never worked.
I vaguely remember mithering my mam for months for a pair of these. I think the compass was hidden under a flap, and you're right, you had to take the shoe off to access it, and I couldn't read a compass anyway, so I'd say it was a pretty pointless feature, but it made me feel like a spy or a soldier.

Tying your fishing rod to the crossbar. Riding miles with your mates to the river/pond only to spend all day catching nothing but sunburn. Laughing at whomever fell in on that particular day.
The joy of owning your first glass fibre rod, space age compared to split cane.
Saving up for a Mitchell match reel.
Abu closed face reels.
Screw in swing tips.
Washing up liquid bottle top/ silver foil bite indicators. Monkey climbers, and later, optonics.
Par boiled potato baits for carp.
Mr Crabtree.
Centre pins for trotting.
Biting lead shot with your teeth.
Learning all the knots.
Proper tackle shops that fucking stank of maggots, but with a genuinely friendly owner who'd help a kid out without a second thought.

Tying your fishing rod to the crossbar. Riding miles with your mates to the river/pond only to spend all day catching nothing but sunburn. Laughing at whomever fell in on that particular day.
The joy of owning your first glass fibre rod, space age compared to split cane.
Saving up for a Mitchell match reel.
Abu closed face reels.
Screw in swing tips.
Washing up liquid bottle top/ silver foil bite indicators. Monkey climbers, and later, optonics.
Par boiled potato baits for carp.
Mr Crabtree.
Centre pins for trotting.
Biting lead shot with your teeth.
Learning all the knots.
Proper tackle shops that fucking stank of maggots, but with a genuinely friendly owner who'd help a kid out without a second thought.
I used to love those Mr Crabtree books, in fact I still try & read a river as to where the fish might be & what type, Had to ask my dad what Gentles were :-) STRIKE PETER!

I used to love those Mr Crabtree books, in fact I still try & read a river as to where the fish might be & what type, Had to ask my dad what Gentles were :-) STRIKE PETER!
Me too, used to love those books.
The watercraft advice and knowledge is still valid today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.