Notts County Away 85.

Jesus man nearly 40 yrs ago !

I was there behind the goal with my best mate at the time. First away match I’d been to without my old man and what a day out. Went down on the special train and as soon as we got to Nottingham all you could see was blues, never seen an away following like it.

I mainly remember the heat and the drunkenness and the general air of lawlessness and the incredible surges on that massively overpacked end we were in. The Notts County chairman must’ve learned a thing or two about downplaying attendances from Mr Swales.

Looking back this was probably the game where I realised that it’s not really all about the result it’s just as much about having a mental day out with friends and fellow blues. And of course without losing this one we wouldn’t have had the never to be forgotten hysteria of the Charlton game just a few days later.

Happy times. :-)

I'm not sure it was this game, but can anyone remember someone dressed as the Pope? His mates were holding him up and we were singing "The famous Man United went to Rome to see the Pope...". At the "Fuck Off" line we all paused to let his holiness deliver the expletive. Must have done it 20 times before kick off and it never stopped being funny.

I hope to fuck I haven't misremembered this and someone can corroborate.

Was in a pub near the ground before the match that absolutely packed with blues. So many were hanging off the bar that the whole thing came down and nearly injured an awful lot of people. Unsurprisingly, the police arrived and kicked everyone out.

An omen for the day.

I was there l remember that awful chant that Notts County had County ! County ! And stamping there feet in time on the floor of the wooden stand they had ,and dopey Donald at the front as the fence came down
There was a great picture of him pulling the fence down in the Sunday papers lol

The Charlton game programme had a picture of the terrace behind the goal, at Notts County, on the cover.

My flag is just visible at the top!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.