Official - City end interest in Eto'o [merged]

Re: Samuel Eto'o [merged]

Blues step up Eto'o efforts
July 04, 2009

BARCELONA are finally ready to smooth the path for Samuel Eto'o to join City.

Joan Laporta, Barca's president, has indicated he is willing to show flexibility over the compensation wrangle at the heart of the Eto'o saga.

The Blues have already agreed a £25m fee with the Catalan giants to buy the striker.

But the sticking point has been a bonus clause in Eto'o's contract which entitles him to compensation if Barca sell him before his contract expires in 12 months' time.

Laporta is hopeful that a deal can be done to help Barca finance moves for Valencia striker David Villa - a one-time City target - and Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano.

And the president has indicated to sources in Spain that he may be ready to agree a pay-off to Eto'o to allow the move to Manchester to go through - or to renegotiate the transfer fee so that part of City's £25m offer goes to the striker.

The 28-year-old Cameroon international hit 36 goals for Barca last season, including the opener as they beat United 2-0 in Rome to lift the Champions League trophy two months ago.

He was understood to have been reluctant to join City initially, because of their lack of Champions League football next season.

But the Blues have the financial backing to make him one of the world's best-paid footballers, although the club have dismissed suggestions that he would earn £250,000 a week at Eastlands.

Patient

City boss Mark Hughes has already warned this week that he may have to be patient to get the stars he wants this summer.

A £30m bid for John Terry was rejected by Chelsea late on Thursday night as Hughes sought to add to the signings of Gareth Barry from Aston Villa and Roque Sants Cruz from Blackburn.

Chelsea's public knock-back over Terry has done little to help their relations with City, with the two clubs unable to agree a fee over out-of-contract striker Daniel Sturridge, who signed a four-year deal with the London club yesterday. City officially released the 19-year-old striker on Tuesday after he rejected a new deal but are entitled to compensation because of his age.

The 19-year-old's fee will now be settled by a tribunal.

Hughes is hoping to bolster his front line further by sealing a deal for Argentinian striker Carlos Tevez over the next few days.

The Blues boss has an eye on completing the signing of the former United man while his players are in Germany at a pre-season training camp.

One striker who looks less likely to figure in Hughes' plans for next season is Felipe Caicedo.

The Ecuadorian forward, who still has three seasons to run on his contract at Eastlands, has indicated that he would be interested in a move to Sporting Lisbon if he is not going to be getting regular games with the Blues.

The 20-year-old, a £5.2m signing from Swiss club Basel in January 2008, has also been interesting West Ham.

looks positive again fuck me by wedsday i thort it was off!

Barca wont get Mascherano, and Villa may not leave Valencia.

I can't see Barca letting Eto'o go without bringing in another striker

squirtyflower said:
Thanks diablo, it's all looking more positive, where did you get the article from?

Its around a day old. Its just the reports from yesterday finally translated and condensed into an article. Its from the MEN.

Marvin said:

valencia have to sell, he is thier prize assest.. imo he will join barca and we will get eto'o..
i can see it going on till the end of the window

Marvin said:

According to El mundo this morning Villa is getting very close to a move, if they dont they will move for Forlan. They want eto'o out.

svennis pennis said:
Marvin said:

According to El mundo this morning Villa is getting very close to a move, if they dont they will move for Forlan. They want eto'o out.
it worries me they want him out so much if he scored a shed load of goals last season.. is he that much of a twat..?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.