Official - City end interest in Eto'o [merged]

SalfordCityBlue said:
Eto'o, his agent and Barca are now in quite an awkward position they didn't expect to find themselves in I'd imagine...

He kind of has to leave now, and Barca want the fee we offered, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else willing to pay it?

Not sure we have heard the last of this...

my thinking too......can see his agent telling et,oo to get a grip.....you won,t get a deal close to city,s....AND barca will be pissed off now....reckon there,s more to this.....or am i talking bollocks???......

As long as he ends up at Milan or Chelsea (preferably Milan) and not the rags I couldn't give a flying feck.

how close to his Barca wages (nevermind the wages we offered) do you think the rags would even be prepared/able to go?

What pleases me most about our walking away is we have cut the legs off the fecker whenit comes to negotiating with another club!

Chelsea, Milan or Rags, he and his agent and barca would have used City to drive the best price possible, ala Ronaldinho! Not anymore! Well done Blues!

Bit gutted about this tbh.

If the loyalty bonus was the problem then i see no reason we haven't paid it. Considering we've spent £14m on Bellamy and £12m on Bridge you can hardly class it as a waste of money. Now i know people are saying 'well done City for pulling out' but to me it seems very bizarre that we have done so on the day where we release a statement calling for patience. Makes us look a little bit silly imo.

Surely it makes sense to leave this one on the back-burner and persue other targets in the meantime. By publicly pulling out we haven't really achieved anything other than send out a message that we won't be fucked about and we won't pay over the odds. Now i have no problem with that but i also feel you have to judge each case by its merit. Eto'o is a phenom of the modern game, regularly scoring 25+ goals per season. He works his arse off and has an amazing appeitite to win. Taking the moral high ground on such a player seem a little bit silly when we're likely to invest similar time and money into our second option (whoever that may be). Obviously nobody knows exactly to what extent we have been messed about but i just find it ironic that on the day we call for patience, we pull the plug less than 24 hours into the 48 ultimatum.

My other point is the 'we won't pay over the odds' point that we seem to repeatedly be making. It's ok saying that but you also have to action it. I'll try - 'i'm Cristiano Ronaldo, but oh wait, i'm not wearing hot pants and i'm not rolling around the floor like a baby' But i must be right? I've just said it...

So when we say we're not going to pay over the odds, what do we do? How about spend a combined £40m on Bridge, Bellamy and Santa Cruz who altho good players, they've not played a great deal of 1st team football due to constant injury/Ashely Cole.

I just feel this is the wrong deal to finally show we're not going to be messed around. Eto'o would be the difference between Europa League and Champions League. That margin is probably also the difference between Robinho staying and Robinho leaving. If that happens, we're sending out a very bad message to all future signings.

Sorry for moaning, i just feel it was all there. Eto'o wanted to leave, his agent declared he'd be delighted to join us, Barca wanted to sell, yet we pulled the plug. Like i said before, nobody knows exactly why. If eto'o was making the wrong noises about joining us, then fair play to Cookey et al, but if it was just the loyalty bonus and Eto'o genuinely wanted to come then i fear we have dropped a major bollock.

ono said:
Bit gutted about this tbh.

If the loyalty bonus was the problem then i see no reason we haven't paid it. Considering we've spent £14m on Bellamy and £12m on Bridge you can hardly class it as a waste of money. Now i know people are saying 'well done City for pulling out' but to me it seems very bizarre that we have done so on the day where we release a statement calling for patience. Makes us look a little bit silly imo.

Surely it makes sense to leave this one on the back-burner and persue other targets in the meantime. By publicly pulling out we haven't really achieved anything other than send out a message that we won't be fucked about and we won't pay over the odds. Now i have no problem with that but i also feel you have to judge each case by its merit. Eto'o is a phenom of the modern game, regularly scoring 25+ goals per season. He works his arse off and has an amazing appeitite to win. Taking the moral high ground on such a player seem a little bit silly when we're likely to invest similar time and money into our second option (whoever that may be). Obviously nobody knows exactly to what extent we have been messed about but i just find it ironic that on the day we call for patience, we pull the plug less than 24 hours into the 48 ultimatum.

My other point is the 'we won't pay over the odds' point that we seem to repeatedly be making. It's ok saying that but you also have to action it. I'll try - 'i'm Cristiano Ronaldo, but oh wait, i'm not wearing hot pants and i'm not rolling around the floor like a baby' But i must be right? I've just said it...

So when we say we're not going to pay over the odds, what do we do? How about spend a combined £40m on Bridge, Bellamy and Santa Cruz who altho good players, they've not played a great deal of 1st team football due to constant injury/Ashely Cole.

I just feel this is the wrong deal to finally show we're not going to be messed around. Eto'o would be the difference between Europa League and Champions League. That margin is probably also the difference between Robinho staying and Robinho leaving. If that happens, we're sending out a very bad message to all future signings.

Sorry for moaning, i just feel it was all there. Eto'o wanted to leave, his agent declared he'd be delighted to join us, Barca wanted to sell, yet we pulled the plug. Like i said before, nobody knows exactly why. If eto'o was making the wrong noises about joining us, then fair play to Cookey et al, but if it was just the loyalty bonus and Eto'o genuinely wanted to come then i fear we have dropped a major bollock.

spot on

Maybe there is a reason that the call for patience was published so close to us then pulling out of the Eto'o deal ? You can twist it to suit either argument but what you cant twist is the message ! Just be patient,when the windows closed and you know whats gone on then people can make an informed and educated decision on the success or failure of this transfer window.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.