Official Match Day Coach Services

Just thought I would start this thread seeing as we’re being “discouraged” from driving to the games and the public transport clearly isn’t good enough to handle the situation as it is.

Is anybody using the services set up that run from Macclesfield, New Mills and Marple? And how good/bad are they?

Personally I would be interested in something running from the Bury/Radcliffe area. I know we have the tram, but it’s not direct, and I cannot handle the crush situation at the city centre changeover. I don’t mind the walk to the stadium from town but that’s on top of the 40min walk I have to the tram stop in Radcliffe so it gets a bit too much in bad weather.

I’m hoping a dedicated thread might help those at City see the comments.

Where else would people like to see coaches (realistically) running from?

This link suggests it was only running until the end of this year, I haven’t heard anything about it being continued.

I've debated this on a couple of occasions but the subject always seems to be misunderstood by otherwise well-intentioned blues.

I'm currently in the Cheadle Supporters Club and they're brilliant for away game travel,(aside from Luton I always qualify for tickets regardless)

However, I've never lived in Cheadle and travelling to home games would be completely out of my way.

For almost 60 years I've resided in Marple, Whaley Bridge and Hazel Grove, and usually travel to the ETIHAD via an early train and a few pints before the match

However night matches are a complete nightmare as literally hundreds face the choice of either driving through rush hour madness before the game (and struggling to park) or catching the only return train available after the game circa 23:10 to Buxton which means hanging around Piccadilly for 40 minutes.

Yes, we can have another pint, but in midwinter you just want to get home.

Somewhere along the line this needs to be subsided, but it's crying out for a bus that takes you straight to the Hazel Grove Park and Ride after the game.
Similarly a bus that takes you straight to Disley or another direct bus to New Mills/Whaley Bridge etc

It's all about speed. I've got no interest or desire in joining or subscribing to another Supporters Club.

Last edited:
Well, a schoolboy error yesterday. Having bemoaned the early departure time of the bus it never occurred to me that where there are two coaches on the booking form to look at the second. I just assumed that you would only do that if the first was fully booked. So after that match we get on a different coach and are told that coach two leaves about an hour after the first so would get to the ground around 2pm, much more reasonable.

There were still pitifully few on board though (only one to take everybody back) with the majority of those being from Cheadle and just a handful left for Macc. Despite now leaving the ground until 5.30 we were home in time to watch the climax of the Notts Forest game against whoever it was they were turning over...
To say this service seems undersubscribed would be putting it mildly. Just me and my son from the first stop all the way to the ground on a 26 seater.

Worringly the driver who had never been on this service before didn’t really seem to know where the drop off point is and took us to near where the kids are queuing for Fanzone. He’s knocking off now and seemed vague about whether pick up would be from the same place
Had exactly the same experience when I used it from Macc. Drivers clueless and given no info about how many were booked on, where the stops were, or where the drop off was. Couldn’t tell us where pickup would be. Scrapped it and came home on the crush train

I've debated this on a couple of occasions but the subject always seems to be misunderstood by otherwise well-intentioned blues.

I'm currently in the Cheadle Supporters Club and they're brilliant for away game travel,(aside from Luton I always qualify for tickets regardless)

However, I've never lived in Cheadle and travelling to home games would be completely out of my way.

For almost 60 years I've resided in Marple, Whaley Bridge and Hazel Grove, and usually travel to the ETIHAD via an early train and a few pints before the match

However night matches are a complete nightmare as literally hundreds face the choice of either driving through rush hour madness before the game (and struggling to park) or catching the only return train available after the game circa 23:10 to Buxton which means hanging around Piccadilly for 40 minutes.

Yes, we can have another pint, but in midwinter you just want to get home.

Somewhere along the line this needs to be subsided, but it's crying out for a bus that takes you straight to the Hazel Grove Park and Ride after the game.
Similarly a bus that takes you straight to Disley or another direct bus to New Mills/Whaley Bridge etc

It's all about speed. I've got no interest or desire in joining or subscribing to another Supporters Club.

192 bus? :-)

192 bus? :-)
Had to do that during one of the train strikes and got home almost three hours after the Final Whistle. Brilliant if I live in London but shite when I only live 15 miles South of the Etihad

As I've said previously they need to incentivize the buses to make them more attractive
The journey needs to be quicker than if you drive, and cheaper than public transport.
It won't happen but the situation will get worse once the work on the North Stand is complete and the capacity increases.

Mu daughter lives in Chorley and everytime I pop over and take the grandson we end up on a train to Chorley and bus replacement from Bolton..... takes 3 to 4 hours to get home 25 miles away.

For the Spurs game the other week the train didn't even bother turning up so my daughter had to take us, gonamd see a mate of hers in Moston for a few hours and then pick is up at Vermillion.

this is pretty much the story for all recent games. For Spurs & Palace you could get one of a few trains to Manchester, then during the game they cancelled all the trains home, leaving you with a replacement bus

Had to do that during one of the train strikes and got home almost three hours after the Final Whistle. Brilliant if I live in London but shite when I only live 15 miles South of the Etihad

As I've said previously they need to incentivize the buses to make them more attractive
The journey needs to be quicker than if you drive, and cheaper than public transport.
It won't happen but the situation will get worse once the work on the North Stand is complete and the capacity increases.

I did the same this season with the 192, took my kids with me. Horrible journey there and back.

Was fortunate it was nice and sunny.

There’s a bus run by Rothwells which leaves Bury at the Weatherspoon Picture House pub, stops off at the Bluebell on Manchester Road, Sunnybank. Then stops at the Beehive Whitefield, then Coach and Horses at Kirkhams then goes on to Etihad. I get on at Beehive every week. £8 return and leaves 1.5 hours before KO from Beehive. No need to book just turn up.
Do you know if this is still running and will be running on Sunday for Huddersfield game?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.