Officially the least used academy in Europes top 5 leagues.

There's probably a better argument for Chelsea being the more successful side over the 10 years covered.

Chelsea 3 PL, 3 FA, 1 LC, 1 CL, 2 Europa.

City 4 PL, 2 FA, 4LC.
Maybe so, Dom. My point was more to do with the club are doing something right and if that means we’ve not played as many academy players than others who have been less successful then so be it.
I’m not somebody who gets worked up about lack of playing time or opportunities for youth prospects- sure it’s great to see them when they do make it but it seems to me most get caught in the romantism of it all.
I’ve said from the beginning that our academy is first and foremost a cash cow and I accept that and understand it.
That others feel differently is fair enough, everyone has their own views on the subject.

Maybe so, Dom. My point was more to do with the club are doing something right and if that means we’ve not played as many academy players than others who have been less successful then so be it.
I’m not somebody who gets worked up about lack of playing time or opportunities for youth prospects- sure it’s great to see them when they do make it but it seems to me most get caught in the romantism of it all.
I’ve said from the beginning that our academy is first and foremost a cash cow and I accept that and understand it.
That others feel differently is fair enough, everyone has their own views on the subject.

That's a fair enough opinion, some people simply don't care about the academy and that's a perfectly reasonable approach.

I just don't know why the club draws so much attention to it and then fails to do what they say they want.

Will be interesting to see these stats in 5 years. With players like Foden, Angelino, Garcia, THB, Doyle, Bernabe and some very good U18s, I guess we’ll see an little increase

The real failure in my opinion isn't that we haven't produced a star, that happens, and part of it is luck of the draw, it's that we haven't consistently produced squad players. People will say that our squad is at such a high level it's impossible to get it, but it just isn't true. Think back over the decade of how many mediocre squad players we've bought and then carried year after year. It's really difficult to produce a Yaya or a Sergio, but we need to give kids opportunities to see if they can displace the Navas, Nolito, Fernando types. Even three or four homegrown squad players would help us immensely by allowing us to focus the transfer budget on fewer positions and it would solve our ever present foreign quota issues.
It hasn't failed,having players in the first 11 is a silly measure,it is much more than that

That's a fair enough opinion, some people simply don't care about the academy and that's a perfectly reasonable approach.

I just don't know why the club draws so much attention to it and then fails to do what they say they want.
Because it's part of the business so has target set on it,we cannot force kids into the first team to fulfill a target

Will be interesting to see these stats in 5 years. With players like Foden, Angelino, Garcia, THB, Doyle, Bernabe and some very good U18s, I guess we’ll see an little increase
Yep i forgot about angel so we have 2 playing in the senior mens team that already puts another slant on it

Because it's part of the business so has target set on it,we cannot force kids into the first team to fulfill a target

Don't force kids in to fulfill a target then, just don't set a target and fail it.

I think there is the potential for there to be a massive increase, and that's one of the reasons it's interesting timing and why I posted it, because the next 10 years could be wildly different but only if someone makes it happen. It won't just happen on it's own accord, 17 and 18 year olds kids won't just arrive in first team training one day be so much better than the 27 year old international squad players bought for 40m that there's no choice but to play them.

Chelsea had their hand forced, and they're probably going to have Abraham, Mount, James, Tomori and Hudson-Odoi starting or playing significant game time for the forseeable future.

We're not going to get a transfer ban, so the question is who is going to make it happen? Maybe we will have our Chelsea season the year Pep leaves? It could be a natural transition year, new coach, maybe even a novice like Arteta.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.