Offside judgement (Laporte v Wolves)

I 100% disagree. As espn explain:

‘However, a knock-on effect is that the attacker's body is now extended for offside decisions. So while this fixes part of the problem, it's created a new one. Additional goals will disallowed when a player is running or leaning with the arm extended’

It’s where the arm meets (or would meet) the armpit. Hence being referred to as the “t shirt” or “sleeve” line. That’s exactly where they drew the line to (if anything, the line was generous):

View attachment 11683
I wouldn't consider that as the armpit mate, that's the medial deltoid, the armpit is underneath, but therein lies the silliness of this whole thing, what's considered the bottom of the armpit ? the part closest to the body (which is fixed) ? the part that runs down the arm (which isn't) ? and can thereby give differing calls, fookin madness really.

A still image of the 'moment' the ball is supposedly played tells us nothing about when the ball was actually played without the preceding and following frames. The fact they don't show us the video frames as they roll through the footage means they are free to display whichever frame suits their narrative.

If they wanted to make a marginal decision appear onside, they can, and conversely they can make it look offside. This leaves them wide open to criticism and accusations of corruption. This could easily be solved by showing us the footage. The fact that they don't speaks volumes.

But they didn't, the image showed a clear gap between head and ball when they put down the lines.

Enjoy:

View attachment 11679

If it isn’t a body part that can be given as handball, then it’s used for offside. As I stated all along.

It cute though that some fans think they know the rules better than the PL and the refs that implement them. It’s also been explained nearly every week during the matches, do you only watch City games?

THE TOP OF THE ARM IS OBVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR OFFSIDE

(felt it best to reply in kind seeing as you’re so wrong)

This is hillarious. We are talking about offside rule and you insist giving the handball rule.

OK i'm done with this. I gave the official offside rule that says ARMS DO NOT COUNT and you gave your personal opinion and the handball rule.
I hope people realised what is going on....

I’m not too bothered about where they draw the lines from on the edge of the sleeve or wherever. They don’t explicitly state in the laws that they are using the sleeve for offside, although they do for handball. Just shows how stupid football laws are when they can’t even be explicit in a defining law of the game. But, as I say, if they are using it from the edge of the sleeve, that looked alright last night.

The three things I am bothered about though, are:

1. The freeze frame they decided to use last night is not where “The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball”[IFAB Law] occurred from Bernardo’s head. It is already on the way to Laporte from Bernardo’s head.

The margin for error is too great for freeze frames showing the contact of the play or touch of the ball. In a tight situation, VAR can have a player onside or offside whichever way they want it with the ball still seemingly in contact with the assister.

2. The defender’s line goes through his heel. It’s is not on the edge of his foot. Get that line correct and Laporte could be onside.

3. Really none of this matters because what really matters is that goals are ruined forever. You can’t celebrate goals properly anymore. Before VAR, when the ball hit the net, it was the best feeling in the sport; now, the ball hits the net, and you half heartedly shout yes with a fear shouting at you from the back of you brain louder than the cheer... “VAR”.

Football is a poorer sport for this.

2. The defender’s line goes through his heel. It’s is not on the edge of his foot. Get that line correct and Laporte could be onside.
Just on this one, if the defender's foot is raised, which it probably is, then the line could look like that. The problem is there is no way to determine how far the heel is off the ground and why the whole shebang is nonsense. They'd be better just having all players wear a tracker in the back of the neck of the shirt, like some do for performance reasons, and using that as the centre of the body and re-defining the law. If a player sticks out a foot or head, it becomes irrelevant.

Alternatively, drop the whole thing and let the lino & ref have a look at a full-speed replay and see if they want to reverse their decision. Close calls need to go in favour of the attacker.

The rule makes perfect sense to me, the line should be drawn from the part of the body with which you can legally score that is closest to the goal. If people don’t like tight decisions because of the margin of error, all that is needed is to add a yellow bar, say two inches wide and if your attacker falls within this area the goal is allowed. Personally, I’m happy with the system as it is, because it’s the same for everyone. The idea that refereeing mistakes are just part of the game is old fashioned imo, we’ve moved on and are using technology, I’d be amazed if we remove it. I guarantee that if VAR is removed fans will be moaning about offside goals which would have been ruled out by VAR so there’s no going back now.

FWIW..the camera angles are taken from way above head height. The lines drawn are incorrect as his foot impedes beyond the yellow line . The vertical line should be in line with the yellow line which it isnt.I am no expert but actually trying to make a decision from the pictures they see is futile.
The bottom line, (joke), is that unless you actually can have camera angles that are actually at head height,in line with the players, it is all supposition. Making a judgement is spurious at best. OK we won, but say this was a relegation battle and that cost a club a fortune by being relegated, if I were a CEO I would seriously question the accuracy. I do not understand why they can not have cameras that can give a better perspective other than the fact that a player may accidentally hit one, or their presence somehow impedes supporter visibility. If that is a factor, then I am afraid this system is too inaccurate to be fair and needs to be challenged.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.