old firm in league

jimharri said:
TTTCITYBHOY said:
at last,sense speaks.
i think both could do reasonably well,once the millions from above said is pumped into the clubs.
i can never see it coming to fruition though.
oh and btw,we're not all sectarian scum.
Only the idiots on here would suggest that all of you are, as you put it, 'sectarian scum'. However, both sides do have a sizeable amount of idiots following them who appear top be stuck in some sort of timewarp, as I'm sure you would agree. It's a shame really, as they are pretty big clubs. As you've said though, it'll never happen anyway.
cheers jimharri,some people think if we follow one of the Old Firm,we're ALL IRA or UDA men in disguise.Wish some people would grow up tbh.

No football club starts out as "big" it's something that happens over a period of many years,its a gradual build up.Normally brought about by success on the pitch.

Last season Rangers had the third largest attendances in British football behind only United and Arsenal,now thats not bad considering the standard of football they play in.Can you imagine with the extra revenue what they could achieve.

And Celtic were the first British club to win the European Cup,they are both still very big clubs and would in my opinion challenge for the major trophies in a short space of time.

TTTCITYBHOY said:
jimharri said:
Only the idiots on here would suggest that all of you are, as you put it, 'sectarian scum'. However, both sides do have a sizeable amount of idiots following them who appear top be stuck in some sort of timewarp, as I'm sure you would agree. It's a shame really, as they are pretty big clubs. As you've said though, it'll never happen anyway.
cheers jimharri,some people think if we follow one of the Old Firm,we're ALL IRA or UDA men in disguise.Wish some people would grow up tbh.
I suppose, to be fair to those people who hold strident views re. the ''old firm'', the last time that both Celtic and Rangers visited Manchester, their fans didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.

jimharri said:
TTTCITYBHOY said:
I suppose, to be fair to those people who hold strident views re. the ''old firm'', the last time that both Celtic and Rangers visited Manchester, their fans didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.
yeah ah know mate,sorry to say :(
thing is Celtic took 80,000 + to Seville in 2003,not 1 arrest.

This started out as a very sensible thread about "FOOTBALL",it was a very good question asked by a member of bluemoon,so why as it often does on here sink to a level of hatred and abuse.

I am really not interested in the political and religous aspects of both Celtic and Rangers.i'm not a supporter of either club,but lets just keep it to football.

TTTCITYBHOY said:
jimharri said:
Which makes it all the more puzzling why you decided to kick off when you came to us in pre-season last year (or was it the year before? I'm getting old and the marbles are starting to rattle around a bit!).

jimharri said:
TTTCITYBHOY said:
Which makes it all the more puzzling why you decided to kick off when you came to us in pre-season last year (or was it the year before? I'm getting old and the marbles are starting to rattle around a bit!).
yep,last year ya old fuker (you got auldtimers).
the away support of both clubs seem to have this sectarian mentality,hear nothing at Celtic Park or Ibrox.

Celtic and Rangers in the premership would have no positive effect on the english game so surely it would be a stupid move.

It's a laughable idea really and for too many reasons to impart, but here are a few:

Mainly, it would have the effect of weakening both the Premier and SPL. Scottish football is nowhere near on a par with its English counterpart and its two stongest teams don't usually fare well whenever they play English opposition. If Celtic and Rangers left the SPL, you could argue it would make that League more competitive, but it would be reduced to a similar level to the Irish League without its two big fish.

Another poster has suggested bringing in Ajax which seems, on the face of it, ludicrous, but the Dutch League is as distinct as its Scottish counterpart and therefore no more ludicrous after all. That isn't likely to happen, so why should transplanting two Scottish clubs happen?

The English League in its various incarnations has existed for over 100 years, based on a meritocracy which is underpinned by promotion and relegation. Bringing two clubs in from outside would make a mockery of this system, never mind its long history, and that's without considering the implications of one or both being relegated. But do that once and who do you bring in next? Bayern Munich? Inter Milan? Real Madrid?

And then, there are the connotations of religious and sectarian bigotry. Dress it up however you like but the stigma sticks to these two clubs like glue. After all the efforts made by the Premier League, Sky and other blue chip sponsors would the powers-that-be really risk tarnishing what is arguably the richest, most popular and, crucially, most salable league in the world?

Moreover, what effect would it have on the FA and SFA's jurisdiction respectively?

In short then, not a chance of it happening.

As a purely footballing point - looking at their current squads it's hard to see the OF making anything more than mid-table/bottom half if they joined the Prem tomorrow. Two of the heaviest scorers in the SPL in recent years went to Middlesbrough in the Championship so their best players are not exactly top 6 material. City have had to spend £300m and counting to go from being an established mid table team to have a genuine chance of competing for a top 4 spot. IMO it would cost each OF club at least as much to get themselves into a competitive position in the Prem. Even with the Sky money they're not going to manage that overnight, I just wonder how their fans would react to being relatively uncompetitive and unsuccessful for a few seasons after non-stop success in the Scottish top flight for the best part of 25 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.