Old Maine Road photos thread

Paul Sinha explained on the Chase tonight how Maine Road got its name.

The first US State to enact a prohibition law was Maine, and there was a huge temperance movement in Manchester at the time. So they named the road after the US State.

Bloody interesting fact that I was never aware of.
Good job the US state wasnt Rhode island then,
Rhode island Road?

IMG-20231223-WA0025.jpg
5 Dec 2000: Rain pours down on Maine Road during the Worthington Cup fifth round match between Manchester City and Ipswich Town played at Maine Road, in Manchester, England. The match was abandoned because of a waterlogged pitch, the score was 1-1
IMG-20231223-WA0022.jpg
IMG-20231223-WA0018.jpg
MANCHESTER - NOVEMBER 9: A poster spotted outside Maine Road during the FA Barclaycard Premiership match between Manchester City and Manchester United held on November 9, 2002 at Maine Road, in Manchester, England. Manchester City won the match 3-1.
IMG-20231223-WA0016.jpg
V fulham 4-0
IMG-20231223-WA0023.jpg

View attachment 102203
5 Dec 2000: Rain pours down on Maine Road during the Worthington Cup fifth round match between Manchester City and Ipswich Town played at Maine Road, in Manchester, England. The match was abandoned because of a waterlogged pitch, the score was 1-1
View attachment 102204
View attachment 102205
MANCHESTER - NOVEMBER 9: A poster spotted outside Maine Road during the FA Barclaycard Premiership match between Manchester City and Manchester United held on November 9, 2002 at Maine Road, in Manchester, England. Manchester City won the match 3-1.
View attachment 102206
V fulham 4-0
View attachment 102207
The first photo in the rain is incredible, any idea who took it?

Now I know my memory can play tricks on me these days but I seem to recall Michel Vonk scoring twice in a match v Ipswich and the game was abandoned at half time due to waterlogged pitch, City leading 2-0. Is this a different game to the one in the photo?

Now I know my memory can play tricks on me these days but I seem to recall Michel Vonk scoring twice in a match v Ipswich and the game was abandoned at half time due to waterlogged pitch, City leading 2-0. Is this a different game to the one in the photo?
3rd January 1994 match abandoned after 39 minutes, City were winning 2-0, goals from Ingebrigtsen and Vonk.
12th December 2000 match abandoned after 23 minutes, drawing 1-1

I live near Maine Road and can clearly remember being absolutely wet through when we got to the match, soaked to the skin. Happy days.

Paul Sinha explained on the Chase tonight how Maine Road got its name.

The first US State to enact a prohibition law was Maine, and there was a huge temperance movement in Manchester at the time. So they named the road after the US State.

Bloody interesting fact that I was never aware of.
I saw that episode too. I’d always wondered why Maine but never got round to finding out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.