Old Manchester cinemas

When it was the ABC, my siblings and I used to go there on a Saturday morning, yes we were minors:)
The Coronation, did it turn into a small bingo hall back in the 70’s?
Don’t know what happened to the Coronation. I have not been to Northenden for donkey’s years.
Saturday morning Forum was a regular ritual in my day. 4d. iirc. I saw the 1955 cup final there on Pathe news and became a blue on the spot.

I do remember the Aabden in Jackson Crescent Hulme. They did have several screens well before the Multiplexes. Some patrons used to travel long distances e.g. Leeds, Chester to catch a rarely screened flick. They used to send out newsletters showing attractions 4 weeks ahead. Unfortunately they closed in the early 80s.

Probably already mentioned but the two I remember going to in my younger days were:

The Aaben on Jackson Crescent in Hulme. Formerly called The York before my time.

Now housing.

50873809f2116155c1f3427f3d0c422f.jpg

And the ABC on Palatine Road in Northenden. Formerly The Forum. Not to be confused with the Forum which came later in Wythenshawe town centre.

Now a Johovah Witness gaff.

e39a1de617517a1aad1bca746ad32696.jpg
Me and my mates got caught climbing in thru a window when girl on a motorbike was showing , got taken home in a cop car happy memories.

The Crown at Eccles that they are desperately trying to save from demolition at present.

The Princess at Monton, it used to have a row of shops under a verandah just below the steps up to the main entrance, but there was a second entrance at the end of the verandah for the cheap seats! There's a block of flats there now called Princess Court.

The Broadway, the Palladium (Palad to us) now a Bingo Hall, the Majestic (Majec) that became the Talk of The North. They changed films halfway through the week & I had an aunt who used to say you could go to the pictures every night of the week & see a different film every night if you lived in Eccles!

When I lived in Burnage I used to take my kids to Cine City in Withington & the one on the corner of Green End Road & Kingsway. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called now! Became a supermarket if I remember correctly.tley
It was The Concorde from the 1970s. I remember seeing ET there. Closed mid eighties I think.
Sometimes went out to the Rix in Wilmslow when bookings were busy.
The Tatton in Gatley was great. Major, Minor and Mini.

I do remember the Aabden in Jackson Crescent Hulme. They did have several screens well before the Multiplexes. Some patrons used to travel long distances e.g. Leeds, Chester to catch a rarely screened flick. They used to send out newsletters showing attractions 4 weeks ahead. Unfortunately they closed in the early 80s.

It did shut for short periods numerous times. But it didn’t shut for the final time until 1991.

Even though everyone, myself included, seems to remember it as The Aaben, it was actually only called that for a relative short period of time in its 63 years existence.

Its final name before it finally shut for good was Cinetheque.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.