older fans returning now we've won a cup

Re: older fans

crizack said:
Ducado said:
You have to remember that we had a huge Manchester fan base, that drifted away during the lean years, and are drifting back now.

We are not some kind of exclusive club, where only the select few can support you know, we need and no doubt welcome every supporter, be they a new one or a returning blue

That's what I mean, I'm sorry if I offend anyone but when I see a any city fan early 30's or younger, I think of all the shit they must of had. Especially those like myself who in 99, when the rags won the treble and with all the shit we got in mid high school and as a socio pressure anyway, we didn't do what cowards do and go supporting the better team. I think any city fan who was a teenager in 99 should be noticed and others to understand just how dedicated the younger generation are. More blue than the ones who supported us in the allison/mercer years? I don't know, but I do know one thing. Supporting city is a good thing.

I am now 42, I don't remember the League Cup win of '76, I don't support my team because they were successful, I support them because they are my team, thick or thin, and it has been unbelievably thin since I supported us!

I went to 43 games in 98/99 but I went because I wanted to strengthen my allegiance, I'm not a bigger or better blue, I was 30 in 1999, so it's not just those in their 30's now that deserve recognition, not that that was my reason for going!

Re: older fans returning.

I said this the other week and stand by it..

Sheikh Mansour bought City to sell to the world and if the world wants to buy a piece of City who are we to argue.

Some complain about empty seats,others about so called plastic City fans !! There will come a day when every seat for every game is sold,whoever sits in that seat supporting City is fine by me,but no doubt it will upset a certain few who deem themselves better supporters but hey ho..cake and eat it springs to mind.

I think youve got the wrong idea pal. Im 21 now so i was also in school during our worst years with Rags winning everything. Lets face it though, if my Dad didn't take me to City when i was younger i probably wouldn't have chosen City from what i had seen on the tele etc. I suppose i could have easily deserted us when we first went down during my lifetime but i was already hooked, thanks to my Dad.

You have to understand anybody that follows a club passionately more likely than not started doing so because theyre parents/ grandparents got them into it etc (at least in my case, others may be different). Think you should be more grateful as somebody showed you the light regarding City, and i presume that somebody is within the age group your now attacking.

In 20/30 years what would you think if your future son told you that you only supported City because they became good?

Re: older fans

crizack said:
Ducado said:
You have to remember that we had a huge Manchester fan base, that drifted away during the lean years, and are drifting back now.

We are not some kind of exclusive club, where only the select few can support you know, we need and no doubt welcome every supporter, be they a new one or a returning blue

That's what I mean, I'm sorry if I offend anyone but when I see a any city fan early 30's or younger, I think of all the shit they must of had. Especially those like myself who in 99, when the rags won the treble and with all the shit we got in mid high school and as a socio pressure anyway, we didn't do what cowards do and go supporting the better team. I think any city fan who was a teenager in 99 should be noticed and others to understand just how dedicated the younger generation are. More blue than the ones who supported us in the allison/mercer years? I don't know, but I do know one thing. Supporting city is a good thing.

The late 1980's were not to good either, up and down like a hore's kickers, the only constant was that we would change managers every 5 mins and come away disapointed at losing but saying 'we played better than them'.

I am 42, went thoughout the 80's then had to move on with life. I don't get to games now so must be a crap blue by your measure.

edit: I have NEVER stopped supporting and managed to watch on the TV in Borneo and the USA. Stick that up your trumpet.

Who cares?

There's no handbook on how to support a team.

Each to their own.

I hate how all fans try to govern each other, making out that they're a better fan than the next man, it's petty bullshit.

My first time at City was in the late 60s aged about 8 or 9. Started going to away games about 1974/75 season. First seaon ticket 76. L.Cup final, etc.
Home and away through out the late 70s to mid 80s. Then then I decided to see a bit more of ladys., found the right one then along came a marrige, mortgage, bills, kids, more bills and so on that I could no longer to follow City the way I did. Now with the kids grown up and a few less bills to pay I want to rekindle my old love for the blues . Now after reading some of the threads on here recently Im feeling guilty to do so !

TheMightyQuinn said:
Who cares?

There's no handbook on how to support a team.

Each to their own.

I hate how all fans try to govern each other, making out that they're a better fan than the next man, it's petty bullshit.
What an excellent point. Who cares how we support our team. We are all in the same pot whether we watch city on TV, go to some or all matches (inc. the away), attended during the dark days or whatever else. It's all about building a bigger fan base now. One that is wider than Greater Manchester. We need all those who stopped coming for whatever reason to come back and watch. We also need tourists and plastics and as far as I am concerned they are all welcome.

There is nothing that defines a supporter. Some take supporting more seriously than others. This includes posters on here, new members are just as loyal as someone who joined five years ago.

crizack said:
We always here about how we have new fans but it mainly only applies to the younger ones. This guy I know tells everyone he's been a blue since the sixties. His wife said "he seen them play once and has only just started supporting them again" banging on how he watched us in the sixties and how he is more blue than others. Anyone else know any older "fans" who younger people might think 'I bet they've been all over watching city' but really, the haven't gave a Damn for 35 years?

I love our club getting a bigger fan base, just don't like the ones who say they are lifelong blues yet only started supporting us in their late teens or now the goings good. Personally, I think the most dedicated support has been from those born after 1976. Their the ones who have gone longest without seeing us win.

this isnt a knob measuring contest.

i`m sure there are blues who dont go now, who went during the dark time to many reason to go into<br /><br />-- Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:48 pm --<br /><br />
samharris said:
I said this the other week and stand by it..

Sheikh Mansour bought City to sell to the world and if the world wants to buy a piece of City who are we to argue.

Some complain about empty seats,others about so called plastic City fans !! There will come a day when every seat for every game is sold,whoever sits in that seat supporting City is fine by me,but no doubt it will upset a certain few who deem themselves better supporters but hey ho..cake and eat it springs to mind.

you always talk sense

and the more i`ve drunk the more sense you seem to make :}

I see how it irritates you that older supporters falsely claim they have been going through all the barren years.However can you see how irritating it is to be told that the most dedicated fans had to be born after 1976.Get a grip,you have obviously had a bad day!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.