Oleksandr Zinchenko | Joins Arsenal for £30m

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were reluctant to sell Ake, therefore we wanted a fee Chelsea wouldn't pay. We weren't reluctant to sell Zinch, therefore we wanted a fee Arsenal would pay. Why?

Because Pep thinks we can get a better LB than Zinch (it's much more difficult to get a better 4th choice CB than Ake who can play at LB too), and if we do it then we couldn't guarantee enough playing time to Zinch. Zinch played about 20 full games last season. The new LB is likely to play more injuries permitting. Also, Ake stays and can be used there too. Therefore, we let Zinch go. It's not rocket science, is it?

Good luck to him at Arsenal. Be interesting to see whether he can establish himself as a starter (in their midfield).

Won't really get into your reading of it, sense in that, sense in other takes too. Really just want to point out one thing everyone keeps ignoring when talking about how little Pep played him last year. His country was being invaded and destroyed. It is obvious he was affected bigtime. Pep knows how much, more than us. There was huge spotlight on him, huge emotional build-up. I doubt that had nothing to do with Pep's choices.

And before anyone twists it, yes, he was always a squad player and no I am not claiming he would have been a regular starter if it wasn't for that war. Just that last season weren't normal circumstances for Zinchenko, and his reduced appearances in part reflect that.

Last edited:
Sorry, but we need a LB whether or not Zin stays. I love Zin and would be happy for him to stay but not if that means we don't get a proper LB. The rumours re City going for a LB have been going on for so long, why is this suddenly dependent on Zinny going? I'm so confused re WTF the club are up to on this front. If we go yet another season without a proper LB who can overlap it seems like a poor decision, tbh.
I think we have been after a lb for some time - certainly since the last one turned out to be a one-kneed sex-pest. Zin wanting out for a regular starting place is a separate issue, but unfortunately weakens our hand as we are seen as desperate probably.

yeah cucurella negotiations can't be going well. i'd be disappointed if we didn't add a fullback at all this summer.

Somehow we always "shelve" the plans of getting that leftback

If we are speculating, and we all are, if Brighton aren't willing to sell and we don't want to pay ott to change that, wouldn't be the worst move be to pay 20-25m for Sosa and keep Zinchenko for a year. Then sell zinch next year and bring Cucurella at a more reasonable price. We would have 4FBs at all times, and at least 1 settled player that isn't new to Pep's systems. And we'd get our main target albeit later, which is something the club often do like dias, ake, haaland etc.

Won't really get into your reading of it, sense in that, sense in other takes too. Really just want to point out one thing everyone keeps ignoring when talking about how little Pep played him last year. His country was being invaded and destroyed. It is obvious he was affected bigtime. Pep knows how much, more than us. There was huge spotlight on him, huge emotional build-up. I doubt that had nothing to do with Pep's choices.

And before anyone twists it, yes, he was always a squad player and no I am not claiming he would have been a regular starter if it wasn't for that war. Just that last season weren't normal circumstances for Zinchenko, and his reduced appearances in part reflect that.
Very true, even at the end of the season his head understandably was all over the place, what is going on in his country puts football and it's trivialities very much in it's place.

I would be delighted if he stayed but let's not kid ourselves we desperately need a top class LB and have done for sometime.

Won't really get into your reading of it, sense in that, sense in other takes too. Really just want to point out one thing everyone keeps ignoreing when talking about how little Pep played him last year. His country was being invaded and destroyed. It is obvious he was affected bigtime. Pep knows how much more than us. There was huge spotlight on him, hige emotional build-up. I doubt that had nothing to do with Pep's choices.

I get what you mean, you have a point, but Zinch was a bit part player last season before February. Cancelo was one of the first names on the team sheet. If we sign a new LB, Zinch minutes will be reduced.

However, if we are not able to sign that new LB for an acceptable fee, why not keep Zinch? He can play in midfield if push comes to shove.

The good news is that we'll know over the next 7-10 days whether we'll buy Cucu or keep Zinch. Arsenal are waiting and City/Zinch have to decide over the next few days.

I genuinely wish the lad all the best, to turn down a no doubt far higher wage and a far more likely guaranteed starting place every week in the past because he wanted to fight for a place with us says a lot about him as a person for me.
All the best Olek’s.

If we are speculating, and we all are, if Brighton aren't willing to sell and we don't want to pay ott to change that, wouldn't be the worst move be to pay 20-25m for Sosa and keep Zinchenko for a year. Then sell zinch next year and bring Cucurella at a more reasonable price. We would have 4FBs at all times, and at least 1 settled player that isn't new to Pep's systems. And we'd get our main target albeit later, which is something the club often do like dias, ake, haaland etc.
if we're keeping zinchenko we really should just get a right back. I don't think sosa or zinchenko are good enough to be starters, so i imagine cancelo would play there most of the time which would leave us short at right back, kind of the same way when we got angelino and never played him because of cancelo/mendy/zinchenko. too many cooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.