On This Day 27th April 1974: Manchester United 0 Manchester City 1.

14yrs old. Walked into the Scoreboard paddock with my mate and his Dad with my silk scarf round my wrist - soon stuffed it down my pants when we were invaded by their ‘boot boys’. Best ever walk down Warwick Road at the end though!

Was there no away end in those days? Could hear loads of City but couldn’t see any area that looked exclusively City?

How did away tickets work for all ticket games if there was dedicated end?

Never heard of Henson btw.

Was there no away end in those days? Could hear loads of City but couldn’t see any area that looked exclusively City?

How did away tickets work for all ticket games if there was dedicated end?

Never heard of Henson btw.
Some derbies around the late 60s/early 70s sold terrace tickets but also had cash turnstiles for the open terracing at the Scoreboard end. There was no formal segregation until the rags came back up to the top flight, but most Blues went on the Scoreboard end. For the backheel game I'm inclined to agree with the earlier poster who said some Blues were locked out.

It was moderately scary as the red hordes advanced on the City end - until it was obvious they didn't fancy coming closer than the edge of the penalty area.

Listen at 11.45 - You'll never walk alone (before Liverpool made it their anthem)

Shithose walked off the king slapped his face to say you’re playing for city now you Scottish ****,I know old timers who stood toe to toe with them cunts outside old shit

Some derbies around the late 60s/early 70s sold terrace tickets but also had cash turnstiles for the open terracing at the Scoreboard end. There was no formal segregation until the rags came back up to the top flight, but most Blues went on the Scoreboard end. For the backheel game I'm inclined to agree with the earlier poster who said some Blues were locked out.
I went to all Derbies from 1963 until 1974 and never bought a ticket in advance apart from 1972 onwards at Maine Road when I had a season ticket. I certainly never bought an advance ticket for a League Match at Old Trafford. I paid at the gate.

I am sure that some would have been locked out. That was the point of pay-at-the-gate. Get there early and you are in!

I remember it well as City won 1-0 which was their sixth win (and a draw) at Old Trafford in seven years starting in 1967-68 (3-1, 1-0, 3-1, 4-1, 2-1, 0-0, and 1-0).

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.