One of the Worst Premier League Seasons?

The wealth of the league is a tide raising a lot of clubs to a competitive level and will increasingly do so. I suspect the era of a stable Top 4 or 5 is at an end for the time being. With the new money most premiership teams are going to be super rich and compete with anyone on wages. More billionaire owners (like Leicester have) will come I and build up their infrastructure. There are plenty of great players around and the 'big clubs' can't buy all of them.

Exciting times really.

So even though the team outside the traditional 'top' clubs are buying better players from across Europe and making the league more competitive somehow this is being done whilst the quality of football is going down. I find it hard to see the logic in that.

Well the fact the premier league has been represented poorly throughout European competition would suggest yes the quality has gone down. It has got more competitive as average sides improved and the better sides have declined

Well the fact the premier league has been represented poorly throughout European competition would suggest yes the quality has gone down. It has got more competitive as average sides improved and the better sides have declined

So it goes to what I said earlier mate. The so called 'top' teams have gotten worse but the overall league has improved because the sides below them have improved making the league much more competitive.

So it goes to what I said earlier mate. The so called 'top' teams have gotten worse but the overall league has improved because the sides below them have improved making the league much more competitive.

Yes absolutely competitive and interesting as people have pointed out, I maybe mean the level at the top then really in terms of quality has drastically declined. Some people may prefer that though to break the top 4 monopoly.

Is this thread a joke?

We won a bloody cup for gods sake! Nearly got to the final of the champions league, pipped our biggest rivals to the final champions league place. Finished above United, Liverpool, Chelsea.

We didn't play well and I'm sure 99.9% of our fanbase can't wait for Pep to arrive, but to compare this season to some of our pre-sheik debacles borders on insanity.

Yes awful season, however our bar has been raised. We should have done better with the players we have. Hopefully this will be rectified next year.

Is this thread a joke?

We won a bloody cup for gods sake! Nearly got to the final of the champions league, pipped our biggest rivals to the final champions league place. Finished above United, Liverpool, Chelsea.

We didn't play well and I'm sure 99.9% of our fanbase can't wait for Pep to arrive, but to compare this season to some of our pre-sheik debacles borders on insanity.

No, it's not a joke. And the thread is about this season, not us.

And no, we did not 'nearly' reach the CL final, although getting to the semi was good. We didn't ever look like we were even trying in the last match. And we finished, was it, 15 points behind a relegation favourite while barely scraping 4th place from a shit Utd with a shit manager.

And if we are talking shit seasons for City, it's pretty much the worst one since the takeover despite spending another bloody fortune.

Yea, we won the League Cup. That was nice, no more. It's a pretty thin consolation prize.

Yes absolutely competitive and interesting as people have pointed out, I maybe mean the level at the top then really in terms of quality has drastically declined. Some people may prefer that though to break the top 4 monopoly.

I definitely prefer it. Madrid and Barca have g/d of 76 and 83 respectively. That's a nothing league when you're racking up cricket scores regularly in a football match.

The wealth of the league is a tide raising a lot of clubs to a competitive level and will increasingly do so. I suspect the era of a stable Top 4 or 5 is at an end for the time being. With the new money most premiership teams are going to be super rich and compete with anyone on wages. More billionaire owners (like Leicester have) will come I and build up their infrastructure. There are plenty of great players around and the 'big clubs' can't buy all of them.

Exciting times really.

I honestly think you'd be doing fairly well at this stage to correctly call two of next season's top 4. Does feel like anything could happen.

Exciting times really.
I think we have to wait for more than one season to see if there is a trend or whether this is a one off

The traditional top 4 all struggled for their own reasons, and Leicester and Spurs filled the gap. Whether Man Utd, City, Chelsea will be as poor again I don't know.

I suspect that City, and Arsenal will remain but that Chelsea have taken a big hit and may struggle to recover "their place". As has been said, all the Premiership teams have tremendous financial muscle now and clubs like Utd, Chelsea and City can not dominate the transfer market as they once did.

I am expecting Leicester to struggle next season because they really had an unrepeatable amount of luck with injuries and to be successful again they will have to play a different style of football because teams will sit back and defend against them.

Next season I think the strong teams will be City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham.

Utd and Chelsea have a lot of rebuilding to do. Chelsea'a first job is to keep Hazard. He may well go. Noticeable he came alive again when season finished...which suggested to me his heart was not in Chelsea. Utd have their weakest squad in a long time. Fans blame LVG but I think he is to blame only in so far as he bought very defensive minded midfield players to the club. They have 2-3 shots on goal per game because their midfield is rubbish

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.