Onuoha & Ireland + £15m for Milner

macmanson said:
irreverent ad said:
Villa are not holding you to ransom. Villa paid £12m for him. Turned him into the PFA Young Player of the Year and got him into the England team.

All that for a £3m profit. How would that make sense??!!!

It doesn't. His value to another club pushing that top 4 envelope might be £30m, but it shouldn't be to our club as we have no pressing need for him. We have significant depth in all the positions he could possibly play, so I'm not even sure he would be in our starting 11 unless we play a very conservative defensive style.

To me he's on part with Boateng in terms of talent for their age and we only paid £10m for him and he's 3 years younger. Being English is not worth £20m extra to us as we are not short in that area either. With the stars in our team, I don't see Milner's jersey being one of the top sellers, so he doesn't offer us that either. Long and short, irregardless of what people think of his talent, he simply does not have enough star value to justify a £30m price tag. If he was being sold to any other team in the league but City, we'd be talking in the £15m to £20m range for him.

I have said on other threads that I think you are missing a box to box midfielder. I don't think you have one really.

Boateng is a younger Defender in a weaker league. It is not really comparable.

As I said I think his value is £23m-24m ish. Richard Dunne did not sell shirts but had a great season. I am sure Mancini prefers productivity. If he was being sold to anyone but City I would still value him at £23m-24m. As I said why would Villa value him at ony £3m more than Villa paid for him??

I think Real Madrid showed quite well that a successfull team cannot win anything with a team full of 'stars'.

Unfortunately you guys won't know for real unless he signs for you. But if he does I wouldn't mind betting your opinions have changed by xmas!

irreverent ad said:
richards30 said:
lescott was probably the most wanted cb at the time we went for him though mate!! he was flying for everton and to be honest right before he had to have his op he was superb for 5 or 6 games!! he lloked a rock and hopefully he can get fit and be a reaslly important member of our new back four.

Sorry mate but I always thought his goals masked his frailties. Maybe I haven't watched him enough though.

Do you think he will play at cb this season?
to be honest i`m not sure matey.theres talk of us being close to getting luiz this week and probably also getting kolarov so possibly not.

macmanson said:
irreverent ad said:
We did not over pay. We bought potential. Potential that is starting to be realised. That £12m is a snip now. You obviously have not seen much of him in the centre.

City paid £7m for a Championship player in January. Yes he now looks worth it and some more on top. BUT you bought potential. It's the same thing but you are now buying of bigger teams/leagues.

You may not see why you need him, but your manager does!

Problem is that your argument about paying for potential actually pulls down his valuation in my opinion. He's a little beyond "potential" at age 24 and having played several seasons already in the league. Paying £20m for him would be a gift to Villa. I'm also not convinced that Mancini wants Milner, but rather our "football administrator" Brian Marwood due to his homegrown status.

Wow past it at 24!!!! i'm screwed.....

He is realising the potential now.

I think Mancin is a bit stronger than that....

richards30 said:
TheLegendOfBerti said:
Milner nor Lescott nor any English player is worth more than £20m.

It's symptomatic of the English game and why England won't win anything.

Knowing the stupidity of our board though, we'll pay it.
a bit harsh with the comment of our board mate?!?! dont forget what they`ve done for us since sheik mansour has been in charge.
No, there's been very few value for money signings, now last summer when we had no position to argue from then yeah, it was expected, now though, we shouldn't be being held to ransom by clubs who finish lower than us in the league.

TheLegendOfBerti said:
richards30 said:
a bit harsh with the comment of our board mate?!?! dont forget what they`ve done for us since sheik mansour has been in charge.
No, there's been very few value for money signings, now last summer when we had no position to argue from then yeah, it was expected, now though, we shouldn't be being held to ransom by clubs who finish lower than us in the league.

Eh? 1 place lower.....

Buying a major player from a team with a Rich owner (ok not super rich), no need to sell, and a team that has aspirations to compete with you guys for a top 4 place next season.

I like City and the majority of fans because of their history. If any club deserverved to be bought out by Mega rich guys apart from Villa I would have chosen City. But you are the first fan I have seen that has changed.

irreverent ad said:
TheLegendOfBerti said:

Eh? 1 place lower.....

Buying a major player from a team with a Rich owner (ok not super rich), no need to sell, and a team that has aspirations to compete with you guys for a top 4 place next season.

I like City and the majority of fans because of their history. If any club deserverved to be bought out by Mega rich guys apart from Villa I would have chosen City. But you are the first fan I have seen that has changed.

I haven't changed, if you bothered to read I'm saying we should stop the extortionate prices in football, and we're the ones with all the money in the world basically.

In financial terms and muscle and power you can't deny we're bigger than you now, and you holding out for £30m is both disrespectful and ridiculous, and trying to take 2 homegrown players and £15m is also ridiculous. Now who's changed? you other jealous clubs trying to hold us to ransom instead of taking a fair deal or us just trying to progress as a club and offering better value than any other club?

I'll never forget where we came from, or how lucky we are, but if you're competing with us next season with the money we've spent either we'll have done badly or you'd have performed miracles, that's not me being arrogant, but just how I see the situation with what we're trying to do.

I would keep both Nedum and Stevie. Once we get behind Stevie he will do everything for this club. Nedum can be a starter here no doubt, but not right now and he loves this team! He and Vincent can be quite the duo down the line. I actually like Micah Richards, but understand he is not the best player for the job but he is quite the talent. I would love to hang onto all of our squad players and am even afraid of losing Vladimir Weiss, but am willing to do whatever it takes to win. That said, we do not need Milner and I don't want Milner, Barry is the same player and more experienced.

TheLegendOfBerti said:
irreverent ad said:
Eh? 1 place lower.....

I haven't changed, if you bothered to read I'm saying we should stop the extortionate prices in football, and we're the ones with all the money in the world basically.

In financial terms and muscle and power you can't deny we're bigger than you now, and you holding out for £30m is both disrespectful and ridiculous, and trying to take 2 homegrown players and £15m is also ridiculous. Now who's changed? you other jealous clubs trying to hold us to ransom instead of taking a fair deal or us just trying to progress as a club and offering better value than any other club?

I'll never forget where we came from, or how lucky we are, but if you're competing with us next season with the money we've spent either we'll have done badly or you'd have performed miracles, that's not me being arrogant, but just how I see the situation with what we're trying to do.

Why is valuing a player at that level disrespectful? What Villa are basically saying is that Milner is not for sale. But every player has their price so make us a SILLY offer. We don't have to/want to/need to sell him. It is not about being jealous at all.It is about clubs wanting to compete. Why should Villa or any other team give anyone fair value for a player. This is not Football Manager this is business.

Believe it or not Villa's ambition is top 4. So we will be competing. You were only 4 or 5 poins and 1 place ahead of us last season. Yes you have strengthened (i actually think you have a shot of top 2) but why should Villa sell their best player to a team that finished directly above them for anything less that a silly price?

And your comment about being held to ransom by teams lower was arrogant. It implied that when City come calling to any team they should accept whatever City think is fair price. Even if that club does not need the money.

irreverent ad said:
TheLegendOfBerti said:

Why is valuing a player at that level disrespectful? What Villa are basically saying is that Milner is not for sale. But every player has their price so make us a SILLY offer. We don't have to/want to/need to sell him. It is not about being jealous at all.It is about clubs wanting to compete. Why should Villa or any other team give anyone fair value for a player. This is not Football Manager this is business.

Believe it or not Villa's ambition is top 4. So we will be competing. You were only 4 or 5 poins and 1 place ahead of us last season. Yes you have strengthened (i actually think you have a shot of top 2) but why should Villa sell their best player to a team that finished directly above them for anything less that a silly price?

And your comment about being held to ransom by teams lower was arrogant. It implied that when City come calling to any team they should accept whatever City think is fair price. Even if that club does not need the money.

I think across the board silly values should go, and yeah £30m is football manager silly pricing, you want a profit, then £18-20m max, but no 2 players, or you lose the cash for them.

irreverent ad said:
TheLegendOfBerti said:

Good post and fair comment, too many of our own fans getting ahead of themselves. We would definitely be weakening a rival whilst gaining a great versatile English addition. That will always add a premium to the price

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.