Onuoha & Ireland + £15m for Milner

I couldnt accept that sort of deal and I dont think I am alone.

Given the value of homegrown players and the mental prices we are being quoted sensible valuations would be £15 million + for Ireland and £7 - £9 million for Nedum. How much did smalling cost with 6 months premier league experience £10 million ?

So if there is any truth in this, we would in effect be paying £40 for Milner, when Barca signed David Villa for 40 million euros. David Silva cost us £24 million cash, Yaya Toure similar. World class players with champions league experience. We would also be losing 2 home grown players and only gaining 1.

Personally I dont think Milner is that much better than Ireland, hes less technically gifted but is stronger, more hard working, can also play on the wing and has a better attitude.

£22 - £24 million cash for Milner, I can just about accept, but none of our decentish fringe players as part of the deal. Its simply too risky. Much rather we didnt sign Milner at all TBH.

If there is any truth at all in this sort of deal its going to be very, very unpopular with the vast majority of fans IMO.

I dont really see where Milner fits in TBH, I think we have much better wide players at the club already and we have Barry, De Jong, Yaya and VIera in the centre. POintless signing that would be made much worse by losing to solid home squad players.

alera said:
I couldnt accept that sort of deal and I dont think I am alone.

Given the value of homegrown players and the mental prices we are being quoted sensible valuations would be £15 million + for Ireland and £7 - £9 million for Nedum. How much did smalling cost with 6 months premier league experience £10 million ?

So if there is any truth in this, we would in effect be paying £40 for Milner, when Barca signed David Villa for 40 million euros. David Silva cost us £24 million cash, Yaya Toure similar. World class players with champions league experience. We would also be losing 2 home grown players and only gaining 1.

Personally I dont think Milner is that much better than Ireland, hes less technically gifted but is stronger, more hard working, can also play on the wing and has a better attitude.

£22 - £24 million cash for Milner, I can just about accept, but none of our decentish fringe players as part of the deal. Its simply too risky. Much rather we didnt sign Milner at all TBH.

If there is any truth at all in this sort of deal its going to be very, very unpopular with the vast majority of fans IMO.

I dont really see where Milner fits in TBH, I think we have much better wide players at the club already and we have Barry, De Jong, Yaya and VIera in the centre. POintless signing that would be made much worse by losing to solid home squad players.

I agree, Milner does not add significant value to our club as we have players of his calibre already that can do his job, so to me that means that we have the bargaining position and not Villa.

They have an unhappy player who wants to move on to us. We don't need him, so we shouldn't sign him unless it's on our terms and not Villa's. If he's young and good, we can go after him in January or next summer when his overly ridiculous valuation goes back to normal. To lose 2 homegrown players for 1 in return who may or may not end up better than 1 of the guys you sent that way is just not a good deal no matter how you slice it. Plus we have bigger priorities to fill in the LB and 3rd striker role if RSC is off which the number of rumors would seem to suggest.

People say "put sentiment aside" but why bother being a supporter of any club if sentiment isn't front and center. Ireland's one of my favourite players. Him going will deminish my respect for Mancini - no matter who the replacement or what the cost. (SWP was a heartbreaker but this will be worse cos there little logic too it IMO)

Some people also say "Ireland is competing with Silva" and "Silva >Ireland". Silva may take a long time to adapt, fail to adapt or just break his leg in preseason training. Hard-fetched? Hardly for City. Holding onto Ireland (especially when potentially he could well be a perfect partner for Silva) is imo cold hard common sense too.

Ireland Out = Mancini Out!

(If there's a place for Milner IMO it's as a replacement for our 2 weakest players - Barry and SWP. Or for that matter NDJ)

IMO our best team if we got Milner is something like this...
..................Hart..................
Boatang Kompany Lescott Bridge
..................YaYa................
Milner ......................... Silva
.................Ireland...............
........Tevez............Ade.........

CTID!!!!

swp or jonno on the right in that formation are both better options

the only plus point on milner is that his crossing is better...but thats it

swp is better running at people, is more likely to get in behind the defence and is equally (if not better) at teh defensive side of the game...he is also a better plyer to have when playing ont he break

AJ is better than milner at cutting inside and can beat a man as well

we dont need milner for the wing and we dont need him centrally as the players we have either injured or fit in the current squad are better....id also rather have bellamy or silva on the left than milner

the players in the centre

dejong....much better defensively so miler wont be taking that role....
yaya...much better box to box and at dominating a midfield...so we dont need milner for that role
silva/robinho/tevez/ireland all better at the "playing in the hole" role.....
and if MJ can get his fitness back he is at least the level of milner (or was before he got all these injuries)

milner is not required unless we are going to get rid of any of the above and in my opinion all are better than milner at their respective roles

the only thing milner is bettre at than anyone we have is delivering a cross.....be much cheaper to train adam johnson to deliver a cross properly (or any of the other players for that matter)

and if sneider is vailabe at around the same price....buy him he is better than milner as well

citizens_1976 said:
What i've heard on this forum is unbelievable. Ireland for Milner? You serious?!

Why do we need Milner when we have a ten times better player and our OWN academy product (something some of you glory hunters don't know) in Stephen ''Superman'' Ireland. One of the most technically gifted players we've had for years. Quality in 2008/2009, never really played in 2009/2010 and when he did play he was played out of position. Some of you are a bunch of disloyal supporters who just want the new fancy star. What is happening to some of your minds?
James Milner hasn't got even a quarter of the footballing ability Ireland has. I'd want 25 million for Ireland plus Milner. What a bad deal if we go through with this. Ireland has had one superb season yes, but as you can see his quality, he's a permanently quality player and not a ''One season wonder'' soo you say. Milner cannot dictate games, score 10 goals a season, and thread balls through an eye of a needle. No chance would i let this deal happen!

If Ireland came available, Wenger, Fergie and Hodgson would all be out to buy him, and that's because he's shit is it? One of the most gifted academy players we've had and some of you want to destroy him, laughable!
Brilliant post

Stephen Ireland cannot survive on piecemeal parts, as he values his own contribution much higher (& maybe he has a point). Nedum Onouha was outstanding for the England U21's, and can do a job at the highest level - @ right back / centre half - if given the opportunity. Milner has potential; but I wouldn't value it at £15 mil + Ireland & Onouha. They are all young players, with at least a good 8 years of them.
If a deal HAS to be done, it should involve Ireland + a maximum £8 mill. Let's not destroy totally what we are creating through the academy foundations.

I'm sick of people saying that Ireland has only had 1 good season, he had 2 good seasons at least. He struck up an amazing partnership with Elano under Sven, just watch our game against Newcastle (3-1) especially Elano's nearly goal where slick passing ripped through an almost half-decent (at that stage of the season) Newcastle team, only for Elano to volley it just over the bar. Was nearly goal of the season.

I am not looking to cause a riot.........But as a Villa fan I am amazed at how low you guys rate Milner and how high you rate Ireland.

Lets not forget Milner has been voted by his peers as the best young player in England. An award won by Fabregas, Ronaldo and Rooney in recent years. Don't get me wrong I am not saying he is at that level BUT he is more thatn an industrious little player!

You are paying for potential. I think £28-30m is too much but £23-25m is about right.

If this was the Brazilian/Italian/Spanish/Argentinian Young Player of the year, you guys would be singing his praises. The fact is he is the best Young player (as voted by his peers) in one of the top 2 leagues in the world.

I really like Milner and would love him here but not at that price. This is an even bigger rip off than the RSC and Lescott deals. If we sign him I cant see him being played in a central role but more as an up and down hard working wide player so lets look for alternatives. Trouble is there are not many about
From the Premiership in or around the level of Milner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.