Operation Overlord

I believe Zhukov and Slim were probably the two greatest commanders in WWII. I know Eisenhower said that Zhukov was. But Slim's ability to motivate his troops was legendary. As far as Slims later life, an Aussie friend told me there was a scandal or
something.

To say the least.

At this point, it's customary to highlight a British officer who has the greatest biographical entry in Wikipedia, bar none:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart

Lieutenant General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart[1] VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963) was a British Army officer born of Belgian and Irish parents. He was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy" in various Commonwealth countries.[2] He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War. He was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a prisoner-of-war camp; and tore off his own fingers when a doctor refused to amputate them. Describing his experiences in the First World War, he wrote, "Frankly I had enjoyed the war."[3]:89

I mean, fucking lol

Yeah. There was some pretty gritty types out there. There was a Canadian officer named Leo Major whose accomplishments read like something out of Marvel comics. Also Audie Murphy's war record... well I don't think he ever really got over the war. He became kind of trapped into being a hero and could barely sleep a wink at all for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
If not for the leadership of Roosevelt and Churchill D Day would never have happened. None of our politicians today would be up to such a challenge. Corbyn would be leading a protest march about the impact of barrage balloons on starlings and May would be serving up a deal where Hitler kept most of France and the Channel Islands .

British soldier taking part in commemorations of the 75th anniversary of D-day has drowned at a historic second world war battle site in Normandy.

L/Cpl Darren Jones, 30, of the Royal Engineers was declared dead after firefighters pulled him from a canal at Bénouville near Pegasus Bridge, the first site liberated by the allies on 6 June 1944.

French gendarmes have opened an inquiry into the death. A postmortem examination will be carried out.

The soldier was staying with other serving troops at a military camp at Ranville near Caen to take part in D-day commemorations.

Jones, after an evening out with a group of soldiers late on Saturday, reportedly tried to swim the Caen canal, near Pegasus Bridge, which is named in honour of the British airborne forces, whose emblem is the mythical Greek winged horse.

His comrades called the emergency services after losing sight of Jones. Divers found his body in the canal four hours later.

On Monday, a British army spokesperson confirmed the death: “It is with sadness that we must confirm the death of a service person in France. Our thoughts are with their family at this difficult time.”

About 30,000 people, including 500 military veterans, were expected in Normandy this week to mark the anniversary of the D-day landings when 156,000 allied troops crossed the Channel and landed on the beaches of Normandy, marking the beginning of the end for Germany’s Nazi regime and its occupation of France.

In the early minutes of 6 June, three gliders carrying 6th Airborne Division troops led by Maj John Howard landed in a field near Bénouville with orders to take and hold two local bridges vital to prevent a German counterattack on the eastern flak of allied

Every surviving veteran should be given a knighthood.

As should those who took part in the Battle of Britain.

Definitely the finest years in Britain’s history in terms of giving back to the world.

Very proud.

Also a special mention for our friends and allies from the other side of the Atlantic and the other side of the world.

Same for the lads going over the top into the mincing machine of The Somme. Go there, it is astonishing even now. Passchendaele, etc, so many have do much.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.