Opposition view: Swansea City

I hate the 'owners pumping money' in argument. These clowns are basically saying they don't like business. Every business runs at a loss initially, that's just a fact, as is the fact bigger, more successful business require larger investment. I hear North Korea like every thing being the same.

Hi all

Just thought I'd clear up my supposed dig in terms of "I'm not a fan of clubs who have vast sums of money pumped into them." I was just giving an honest answer to a question. I'm not jealous at all, I personally wouldn't welcome a foreign owner at Swansea as difficult as that is to believe. I love the fact that the Supporters Trust has a 20% stake in the club and the remainder of the board are all local businessmen who have supported the club all their lives. I understand that it's very difficult for any club to have this type of arrangement, especially at the top level but I wouldn't swap it for anything. We nearly lost our club a decade ago so the idea of having investment from outside who would view Swansea City as a business opportunity rather than a passion isn't something that interests me. We probably can't progress as a club any further without outside investment but I'm just happy to have a club that has performed miracles over the last ten years and know it's in safe hands for the foreseeable future. You guys are lucky that Sheikh Mansour seems like the best foreign owner out there but what happens if he ever decides to walk away? Also ask Cardiff fans what they think of Vincent Tan. This is exactly why it doesn't interest me.

Hope that clears everything up. Thought yesterday was a very good game and my side competed well until you scored your third goal.

All the best, I think you'll win the league for what it's worth

ONTHERUNWITHTHAKSIN said:
Dunraven said:
ONTHERUNWITHTHAKSIN said:
Understand other fans attitude regarding our money but would have thought Swansea would be happy with foreign owners buying clubs especially when they look at the mess Cardiff are in.

I welcomed Chelsea having money pumped in as it broke the United, Arsenal, Liverpool trilogy.

I also have views regarding foreign teams playing in a different league, Swansea are Welsh and should IMO be playing in the Welsh league similar to Rangers/Celtic playing in Scottish league.

You'll find that both Cardiff and Swansea among others were invited to join the English football league as Wales had no football association of its own. A Welsh league didn't exist until 1992. Rangers and Celtic were never invited because there was already a flourishing football league set up in Scotland at that time and Scots had already set up the SFA as they'd split with the English FA.

And Sheik Mansour was invited to take control of City and we are forever thankful as I am sure Swansea are thankful were invited into the English leagues.

I'm sure they are glad but the fact remains they weren't English leagues at the time, Predominantly English but not solely and they haven't been since.
Because there were numerous teams from Wales that were taking part in it during its formative years.

SoSFanzine said:
Hi all

Just thought I'd clear up my supposed dig in terms of "I'm not a fan of clubs who have vast sums of money pumped into them." I was just giving an honest answer to a question. I'm not jealous at all, I personally wouldn't welcome a foreign owner at Swansea as difficult as that is to believe. I love the fact that the Supporters Trust has a 20% stake in the club and the remainder of the board are all local businessmen who have supported the club all their lives. I understand that it's very difficult for any club to have this type of arrangement, especially at the top level but I wouldn't swap it for anything. We nearly lost our club a decade ago so the idea of having investment from outside who would view Swansea City as a business opportunity rather than a passion isn't something that interests me. We probably can't progress as a club any further without outside investment but I'm just happy to have a club that has performed miracles over the last ten years and know it's in safe hands for the foreseeable future. You guys are lucky that Sheikh Mansour seems like the best foreign owner out there but what happens if he ever decides to walk away? Also ask Cardiff fans what they think of Vincent Tan. This is exactly why it doesn't interest me.

Hope that clears everything up. Thought yesterday was a very good game and my side competed well until you scored your third goal.

Then we will wish him all the best and thank him for leaving a club at the pinacle of World football, the envy of every club in the land and the model to which all others aspire.....but dont get your hopes up I'm sure he'll be around for at least the next 10 years...

SoSFanzine said:
Hi all

I fully agree that the ownership model you have is a good one and the rapid rise of Swansea up the divisions over the past 10 years is not only testament to that, but also as you say it wouldn't make you automatically yearn for a rich foreign owner. However, things can change very quickly in this sport and it can even go pear-shaped for even the most well run of clubs if they try to stand still for too long. There are numerous cases of clubs qualifying for the Europa League and then seeing their league form suffer as a result because they haven't strengthened their squad enough to cope with the extra matches and the strain of travelling all over Europe for matches on a Thursday night. Newcastle were a good example last season and I dare say Swansea's league placing at the moment is a bit lower than we all felt it would be at this stage.

Then you have the expectations of the fans to deal with. Swansea's meteoric rise will have seen the expectations of the fans go up as a result - even those that have been there since the journey started at the bottom of the fourth tier will now be expecting you to comfortably survive in the Premier League each season (us fans that have seen both the best and worst of our respective clubs might like to think that we're not like that but the reality is that we are, although some of us will be more tolerant to the bad moments than others), and it wouldn't be unreasonable of those fans to expect your club to kick on to another level within the next couple of seasons. For that to happen without significant additional investment would be difficult as the relatively even distribution of TV money in the Premier League gives every club a chance of recruiting good players. Swansea have played the transfer market very well so far in terms of value for money signings, Michu being the obvious example, but can you keep going on picking up such bargains? I think the reality is that going forward you will need to be prepared to spend the kind of money you spent on Bony if you want to see Swansea progress even further but are the board going to sanction such deals on a more regular basis? Or do they accept that the club, no matter how well run and how well managed it is, has pretty much hit a glass ceiling and dig their heels in with regards to how much they spend on players?

SoSFanzine said:
Hi all

Nice post. Shame you spoilt it with that brain dead, cliched, rag anthem "What happens when Sheikh Mansour walks away?"
It's simple. We'll have a turnover some 3 times greater than when he took over, we'll be one of top 10 wealthiest clubs in the world because of it, we'll have a state of the art Academy, and I would imagine we will continue to go from strength to strength both on and off the field, because unlike Agent Glazer over at Old Nafford, Sheikh Mansour has written our debts off rather than leveraged them against the club, so we would be an attractive proposition for any buyer. Apart from that lot though, what have the Romans ever done for us?!!
Why people repeat such banalities without engaging their brains first is beyond me. No offence!

SoSFanzine said:
Hi all

keeping your best players is the problem imo. once they become good enough another club will offer them more money they cant refuse. its a shame but thats reality

as previously stated on this thread , if the sheik "walks away" in a couple of years , our revenue streams have increased ten-fold , so we will be a self sufficient football club , with 60,000 average crowds . The biggest danger is murdoch and sky pulling the plug , but that will affect all Premiership clubs especially a club like swansea with a new ground with a miniscule 20,000 capacity , not what you would call building for the future.
But every time we beat a team , the old money issue is rolled out , a bit boring and predictable now , yooonited,leeds,rovers,dippers,chelski,goooners all broke transfer records to win their titles , but a selective memory is pre requisite when you get stuffed by the blues.

SoSFanzine said:
Hi all

Can't even compare Tan to HH Sheikh Mansour

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.