Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sometimes put Demi as a defensive midfielder, usually late in games to shore up. I was wondering about the flexibility of the CBs?

I know there were discussions in the past, that when Hughes bought VK from Hamburg he could play in CB and midfield.

For what its worth on Transmarkt:
Otamendi is shown as being able to play either left or right CB and as a secondary position right back.
VK and Demi are both shown as being able to play either left or right CB and as a secondary defensive midfielder.
Denayer is shown as being able to play either left or right CB with no secondary position.
Denayer is 19, they have no idea what he can or can't do.

Varane has been 3rd choice at Real for 3 seasons. He was 'unproven' too

4th choice CBs barely ever play. We have been '1 injury away from having to rely on'... Boyata. How many games has he played?
and our defense was attrocious last year, so what's your point? Before I get raped on here I'm not saying it was totally on the cbs but I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with otamendi joining instead of Denayer. Plus Denayer is either not going to get enough game time to prove his worth for euros (let alone potentially stunting his growth) or he'd have to be counted on in big games... Don't get me wrong if Denayer is that good and could be depended on I'd love to bring him into the team I'm just not so sure that He is ready. If he turns out not to be ready and let's say vinny gets an injury the week before Boxing Day do you trust an aging Demi and streaky manga (although I do rate him and think he'll prove his worth sooner rather than later) to go through so many games in a short stretch without rest?

and our defense was attrocious last year, so what's your point? Before I get raped on here I'm not saying it was totally on the cbs but I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with otamendi joining instead of Denayer. Plus Denayer is either not going to get enough game time to prove his worth for euros (let alone potentially stunting his growth) or he'd have to be counted on in big games... Don't get me wrong if Denayer is that good and could be depended on I'd love to bring him into the team I'm just not so sure that He is ready. If he turns out not to be ready and let's say vinny gets an injury the week before Boxing Day do you trust an aging Demi and streaky manga (although I do rate him and think he'll prove his worth sooner rather than later) to go through so many games in a short stretch without rest?
Or Denayer might be fantastic as he was for Belgium v France. And Otamendi might sign & be shite like he was for Argentina vs Paraguay.

Both are a gamble. One is homegrown & costs nothing & doesn't fuck up the squad.

Or Denayer might be fantastic as he was for Belgium v France. And Otamendi might sign & be shite like he was for Argentina vs Paraguay.

Both are a gamble. One is homegrown & costs nothing & doesn't fuck up the squad.
Completely agree, my point was just I think the "safer" gamble is otamend, but betting on Denayer could be a homerun.

It's only safe if we move on another foreign player, and that person can only be Demi

The only solution is to move demi on. To be honest with the money we have spent it was quite sad last season that a mid 30 year old was our best defender!

The only solution is to move demi on. To be honest with the money we have spent it was quite sad last season that a mid 30 year old was our best defender!
See, I really rate Demi, but towards the end of the season he was beginning to struggle, and it was often Mangala that pulled him out of the shit due to his pace.

But although on his last legs he is the player most in sync with the way Pellegrini wants to defend.

He can help Denayer, Mangala & even Kompany. Take him out, you have Vinny & 3 learners. Add that potentially to a new centre mid, attacking mids, & even up front Bony has hardly played. It's too much & doesn't make any sense at all.

Think that's why we could be looking for a cd.you summed it up perfectly, another gamble we can got not afford to take, so buy cover and rule out the possibility of him not been up to scratch.
I don't mean he's not up to scratch, I mean his abilities are unknown to the websites mentioned, so they don't know if he has a 2nd position.
Personally I think he'd piss Zabba or Fernando's job & would do the same at Valencia as a cb.
The Premier League is different, so hard to be sure of any central defender who hasn't played there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.