Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Varane cost Real nowt and is young
Don't see how anyone can justify having a 30-40m CB as backup
I'd see Denayer making around 15 league appearances, much like Varane prior to this season. That won't happen if we sign Otamendi
I just don't see that as the right move for all parties involved. From city's point of view we are 1 injury away from having to rely on a realitively unproven 20 year old, and for Denayer you'd assume he'd love to get into belgium's euro squad and 20 appearances (mostly against lesser teams) probably isn't going to make that happen. Loan out Denayer so he can continue to grow and get starter minutes, and buy otamendi so we have depth and competition. Then bring back Denayer whenever Demi leaves

Agree with this 100% as great as Demi is, we should've never been in a position where we had to rely on our oldest defender in our back line.
Also no need to think of him as a 30-40M player if we aren't actually putting a whole lot of real money towards him. Getting him and Bony for the price of shipping Negredo who ended up being a half a season player is an excellent deal.

Never thought of it like that.

We would pretty much get Bony and Otamendi for Negredo + 10m or so.

Great deal that.

Like I said, Otamendi will walk into our defence and likely over Mangala.

Just because Mangala cost 30m-40m doesn't mean he can't be benched.
benching him was the problem last year,no settled back four.kolarov,clichy and mangala all played better at various points in the season with a settled role in the team.

I really hope that Denayer makes the grade etc. but I seem to remember people arguing against buying another top quality CB so that we didn't hamper Nastasic's development and opportunities !! We relied on MD too much last year and need to have top class cover for Kompany and the others when injured/suspended etc.

Never thought of it like that.

We would pretty much get Bony and Otamendi for Negredo + 10m or so.

Great deal that.

That's some maths you are using there, sam....

I think you'll find its Bony & Otamendi for Beast & approx £40mil

I just don't see that as the right move for all parties involved. From city's point of view we are 1 injury away from having to rely on a realitively unproven 20 year old, and for Denayer you'd assume he'd love to get into belgium's euro squad and 20 appearances (mostly against lesser teams) probably isn't going to make that happen. Loan out Denayer so he can continue to grow and get starter minutes, and buy otamendi so we have depth and competition. Then bring back Denayer whenever Demi leaves

Varane has been 3rd choice at Real for 3 seasons. He was 'unproven' too

4th choice CBs barely ever play. We have been '1 injury away from having to rely on'... Boyata. How many games has he played?

We sometimes put Demi as a defensive midfielder, usually late in games to shore up. I was wondering about the flexibility of the CBs?

I know there were discussions in the past, that when Hughes bought VK from Hamburg he could play in CB and midfield.

For what its worth on Transmarkt:
Otamendi is shown as being able to play either left or right CB and as a secondary position right back.
VK and Demi are both shown as being able to play either left or right CB and as a secondary defensive midfielder.
Denayer is shown as being able to play either left or right CB with no secondary position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.