Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our targets are winning the Prem and Champs League and it looks like we're serious about giving the manager the tools to get the job done. If he wants Otamendi I'd back him 100% and I'm wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he does.

Exactly.

Hey Neville Kneville, and what about do it the both ways, buying Otamendi AND giving Denayer a new contract and some start games in the squad???

Pelle is the rotation master (love it or leave it), and we know for sure, that this could work.

Looks like your way to think are sometimes bipolar, white black minded. Maybe I´m wrong, I don´t know you, its only my feeling. But the only thing I konw, is the fact, that we need to sign the best player in town, and if we could get this Otamendi fella for a really low price, why not to get the chance???

Hey Neville Kneville, and what about do it the both ways, buying Otamendi AND giving Denayer a new contract and some start games in the squad???

Pelle is the rotation master (love it or leave it), and we know for sure, that this could work.

Looks like your way to think are sometimes bipolar, white black minded. Maybe I´m wrong, I don´t know you, its only my feeling. But the only thing I konw, is the fact, that we need to sign the best player in town, and if we could get this Otamendi fella for a really low price, why not to get the chance???

I don't think Otamendi will make the slightest difference to City, because our biggest defensive problem is down to lack of protection from the midfield, not the central defenders, I am not convinced e will be a sucess in the Premier League, but even if he was, i don't think we need him & I think Denayer may soon be better than him anyway.

Also, if we sign DeBruyne & Pogba, we have to sell two players to make way. Buying Otamendi means selling a 3rd. Also, Otamendi costs us 30 million quid.

So, to recap: I don't think we need him, I'm not convinced he will suit us, we have to sell & he costs us 30 mil & he gets in denayer's way.

I've said this about 50 times now so I think I'll knock it on the head.

If anyone wants to make a case for signing Otamendi and losing Denayer, because the club should be aiming to win on all fronts and that's what it takes, then I think there's an argument to be made. I don't know the guy from Adam, but if someone's under the impression he walks on water than I can see their case. Personally think it's a huge risk to lose one of the best young central defenders in Europe to try a new 27 year old in the league though.

For anyone suggesting we sign Otamendi and keep Denayer as 4th choice or send him out on loan, I really can't see how there's any combination of discussions or assurances which make that possible. He's not a youth prospect, or a starry-eyed local just looking to pull on the blue shirt. He's a senior Belgian international coming off of an incredible season at club level, with one year left on his contract.

I wish we could have our cake and eat it too, and I would love for management to somehow convince both player and his representation that signing a 5 year extension is in his best interests. But if you take off the blue-tinted specs, his agent has a client who is in demand by Champions League clubs, whose intentions are to immediately incorporate him into the starting 11, on the cusp of his introduction into the national team preceding a tournament summer. And on the other hand you have a club who are insisting he's part of their plans, and insist they believe in him, but ask that he proves himself again by going out on loan, and who -- with Kompany & Mangala on their books -- go out and spend £30m to add Otamendi into the mix.

We're courting Denayer. We're trying to sign him, same as any player we don't already own. He holds the cards, and if I'm being objective I have to say that any representative or player who watches a club go out and buy another marque player, in the position in which he plays, after the season he has had, would be grossly negligent commiting himself to five more years.

Wish that wasn't the case, but it is as near as I can tell. In fact I'm worried about him signing an extension regardless of any incoming defenders, based on the reporting coming out of Belgium. Otamendi would be the anvil that broke the camel's back.

Also worth bearing in mind that we could get to the Champs League final with Kompany injured and Mangala suspended. What would we do then?
I don't think Otamendi will make the slightest difference to City, because our biggest defensive problem is down to lack of protection from the midfield, not the central defenders, I am not convinced e will be a sucess in the Premier League, but even if he was, i don't think we need him & I think Denayer may soon be better than him anyway.

Also, if we sign DeBruyne & Pogba, we have to sell two players to make way. Buying Otamendi means selling a 3rd. Also, Otamendi costs us 30 million quid.

So, to recap: I don't think we need him, I'm not convinced he will suit us, we have to sell & he costs us 30 mil & he gets in denayer's way.

I've said this about 50 times now so I think I'll knock it on the head.
So you've been wrong 50 times on the same thread? That's got to be a record ;).

Last edited:
Also worth bearing in mind that we could get to the Champs League final with Kompany injured and Mangala suspended. What would we d

So you've been wrong 50 times on the same thread? That's got to be a record ;).

He is right though, our big central defence issue last season was the defensive midfield cover for the central defenders more than the central defenders themselves. For me I would not worry about Otamendi, and I am in the minority who would not buy Pogba, I would prefer a top drawer defensive midfielder and push Yaya further forward, alongside Silva and one of De Bruyne and Sterling, with Fernandinho and ANO defensive midfielder behind them (Sergio upfront of course) - and for sure I would like Denayer to get first team games next season

When the rumors of Laporte to City were allover the place, I was not in support of it mainly because it was going to cost us in excess of 30 million pounds. As much as I respected the opinion of others, I felt there were more important areas in the squad that needed to be addressed. However, this one seems to me like a bargain especially because the 20 million pounds Neville Kneville is trying to use prudently has already been spent. Its just like saying we collect our money from Valencia and keep it in the bank versus lets use the money and do another shrewd piece of business (albeit with an additional 10 million quid).
Its good to be optimistic but reality is, its so competitive out there so you must get your hands on the very best, yes the very best because its not enough to have a great squad when rival teams have great squads as well. You cant afford to settle for less brother. Rather than argue, i'd suggest you get to watch at least 20 valencia and argentina games and then you might be well informed to make a judgement because when 80 percent (hypothetical) of the people say you're wrong, you gotta check things out

He is right though, our big central defence issue last season was the defensive midfield cover for the central defenders more than the central defenders themselves.

Our midfield cover was certainly a contributory factor but there's no getting away from Kompany being out of form and Mangala not settling as quickly as hoped plus Zaba's drop in form.

I agree regarding the need for a top quality defensive midfield player but think we could do with a CD and LB if top quality ones becomes available as well.

What is your problem ?

I understand your point about doing whatever it takes to make Denayer a city player for years to come.

When you argue that Otemendi sucks then you undercut your primary argument (which is not the worst argument I have ever heard).

When you suggest that you will give up on 50 years of supporting our club because our owners buy the best CBs in La Liga you look like an absolute idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.