Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many 19 year old defenders are starting every game for elite teams? Maybe he should temper his expectations, City is a big step up from Celtic now.
Don't want a Pogba situation happening.

I'm not saying he should just walk into the starting 11 just for the heck of it, but he's had a stunning season, MOTM performances against inter milan and France, to then see us sign yet another 30 million pound centre back I wouldn't blame him if he left for another club more willing to give him an opportunity.

Unfortunately that's the problem that comes with playing for top side like ours - competition. Bellerin the arsenal lad got his chance but that was because their number 2 ex newcastle man was out injured and chambers was really poor. The same can be said about Coquellin who only got his chance when all the rest were injured and he grabbed the opportunity with 11 fingers. He may not be happy to be down the pecking order but the benefits of nailing down a spot in a team like ours if he indeed proves himself are truly ernomous.

Question is how much outflow will we see in our books for this deal? Answer is ten million quid. Its just like where Juve wants 70m for Pogba and they want Jojo as well and are willing to pay 20m, how much are we actually paying for Pogba? 50m even though Pogba is worth 70m. This kind of deal is quite different from, for example, signing Sterling for 50m fresh funds. And don't you worry about Pogba, Sterling and Debruyne because the funds are already in place and we are not a club like Liverpool who need inflow from party A before they can pay party B for a target. To pass up the opportunity to strenghten our defence with much needed experience and proven defensive prowess for 10 million pounds extra pounds whilst allowing our youngster to develop further is not shrewd imho. Both players are inexperienced in the PL and probably have equal chance to flop or succeed but at the moment, Otamendi is the better defender at least judging by their perfomances in the season just gone by. This is not to say that Denayer cannot grow to become the better defender though.

It's a straightforward spend of 30 mil plus, however you look at it.

Denayer can't grow into a better defender if he doesn't play. He has just played every game for Celtic, including being down to ten men for about 80 mins at the San Siro. He made his debut, for Belgium, replacing Kompany who had been sent off.

Belgium had Alderweirald & Vertonghen at fullback & could have just moved over a Premier League centre back to their natural position & had someone fill in at fullback. Instead, their boss brought on Denayer to play at centre back. Either he was trying to get sacked, or he thinks Denayer is a better cb, than Vertonghen & Alderweirald already.

He then chose Denayer to start, away from home, against France.

Imagine that was an English player, chosen by Roy Hodgson over the experienced competition at cb? It would be a huge thing on Sky etc.

Can you folks who are going on about this Otamendi character please picture this, & imagine what happened with Denayer playing in France, & let's say it it was John Stones or some other English kid, making his full debut for the full England team, in place of Cahill or Smalling etc, with all the gutter press & Gary Neville watching, & the cbs were pushed out to fullback, then the kid getting a standing ovation from the England fans, singing his name, after having one of the best debuts anyone has ever had at cb, & let's say he goes back to Everton or Chelsea or Utd, & they already have 3 big name Premier League central defenders, & the lad gets home, & they announce that they are signing a 4th cb for 30 million quid.

Can you imagine the general opinion of that around the country ? Almost everyone on here would be asking about signing him from them due to them basically taking the piss out of him, he's bound to be unhappy. Can we get him ? That would be the theme here. Sign this lad.

But we already have him.

Is it truly the case that we can't even give Denayer the benefit of the doubt alongside Vinny, Mangela & Demicheliis for one season ? Even if he struggles, we have 3 other cbs.
We have to blow 30 mil on a completely unproven player at Premier League level because our 3 cbs, plus Denayer, might not be enough ?

And we are supposed to be the club to go to, for the best kids ?

Signing Denayer to a new deal, loaning him out to a PL club and then bring him back to replace MDM is not telling him to "do one". Its telling an incredibly talented youngster that we are making a long term plan to keep him at our club for a very long time.

No it isn't.

It's wasting his time when he could be playing every week as first choice for AC Milan.

Honestly think the trick to this whole debate is just to address the fact that we're trying to sign Denayer. Too many people thinking of him as a docile piece of the machinery who will march this way or that, or tow the party line.

He has one year left on his contract and there are only a very small handful of clubs who wouldn't welcome him in a heartbeat, most of which he'd immediately walk into the starting eleven.

If you were objectively representing him and City signed Otamendi to join Kompany & Mangala, you might think twice about committing him to 5 more years at the club. That's not to belie a lack of ambition necessarily... it's just a simple fact that he's ready to play regular minutes for a respectable spectrum of clubs, and he's on the radar of the national team's manager before a tournament summer.

We're trying to sign Denayer. If we want to sign finished products like Otamendi, that's one way to go. But I don't think we get to have our cake and eat it too on this one.

For my part, I feel like Martin is a great presence off the pitch and was (regrettably) our most consistent defender on it. I think Denayer sees enough of a window, and enough of a sense that the club believes in him, if he's fighting for that position. I'd love to start the season with Kompany, Mangala, MDM, & Denayer and address other areas of the pitch.

Denayer is ready .... Its just what's best for his development now .... if he's going tobe 3rd/4th CB then another year on loan will be good, if we could get him a loan deal at a mid-table PL team playinng regular I think that we'll have an even better young CB when he comes back next season ... I watched him play for Belgium and he looked really good, can't make judgements on one or two games but from the little I've seen, I see little very little difference between him and the Mangler

Denayer is ready .... Its just what's best for his development now .... if he's going tobe 3rd/4th CB then another year on loan will be good, if we could get him a loan deal at a mid-table PL team playinng regular I think that we'll have an even better young CB when he comes back next season ... I watched him play for Belgium and he looked really good, can't make judgements on one or two games but from the little I've seen, I see little very little difference between him and the Mangler

We keep ending up with one of the best young cb prospects in the world, fighting for a place with some big no mark geezer who is good at defending corners, in a no mark team who can perhaps barely play 3 passes together, in front of middling crowds, out of Europe, challenging for fuck all.

And he's a title winner who only has to pick up the phone, & can play in the Champions League, on full wages, in front of big crowds, challenging for titles & then sign for Barca in a couple of years.

I've supported City for nearly 50 years, & I'd be gone so fast, you would just hear the tyres screeching & see the smoke.

No it isn't.

It's wasting his time when he could be playing every week as first choice for AC Milan.

If he (a
No it isn't.

So a year starting for a lesser PL team and then coming in as a regular starter at a team like ours at the age of 20 is somehow a step down from fucking AC Milan?

We keep ending up with one of the best young cb prospects in the world, fighting for a place with some big no mark geezer who is good at defending corners, in a no mark team who can perhaps barely play 3 passes together, in front of middling crowds, out of Europe, challenging for fuck all.

And he's a title winner who only has to pick up the phone, & can play in the Champions League, on full wages, in front of big crowds, challenging for titles & then sign for Barca in a couple of years.

I've supported City for nearly 50 years, & I'd be gone so fast, you would just hear the tyres screeching & see the smoke.

Well that sums it up then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.