Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. He's played Pellers' style and played it really good. In 2013/14, City's defence was Kompany and Kompany was City's defence. That's not turning a blind eye to the fact that Pellers' system is a difficult one for most defenders
2. A good defender is good defender (so long as form is intact), he may struggle initially with a system that's kinda new to him but his quality will show with time
I disagree mate. I understand that the level of quality of a defender obviously has a bearing on how he performs, but if your midfield consistently fail to track runners, your defence will be exposed. Over the last 20-25 years Serie A has consistently housed the worlds best defenders and that is because the game was slower and much more tactical. It is easier to look like a much better defender when playing in a much more rigid system. I'm not saying Otamendi isn't a good defender, but i'm saying we don't need to sign him. He's been on the radar of European clubs for the last 4 or 5 years. It's only this season that he has become a £40m player and that is because he has scored a lot of goals for a centre half. He's not just dramatically improved since he was a £9m defender 16 months ago. Take away last season's goal tally and the price would be about £20m. A similar thing happened with Lescott and we ended up paying £24m for him.

Furthermore we already have players with exceptional qualities playing at the back for us. Replacing them every season with another £30m defender won't fix our problems.

I disagree mate. I understand that the level of quality of a defender obviously has a bearing on how he performs, but if your midfield consistently fail to track runners, your defence will be exposed. Over the last 20-25 years Serie A has consistently housed the worlds best defenders and that is because the game was slower and much more tactical. It is easier to look like a much better defender when playing in a much more rigid system. I'm not saying Otamendi isn't a good defender, but i'm saying we don't need to sign him. He's been on the radar of European clubs for the last 4 or 5 years. It's only this season that he has become a £40m player and that is because he has scored a lot of goals for a centre half. He's not just dramatically improved since he was a £9m defender 16 months ago. Take away last season's goal tally and the price would be about £20m. A similar thing happened with Lescott and we ended up paying £24m for him.

Furthermore we already have players with exceptional qualities playing at the back for us. Replacing them every season with another £30m defender won't fix our problems.
I agree with you that defenders tend to be more comfortable with conservative backlines and set-ups with greater defensive emphasis and a very good defender may find it difficult adapting to a more liberal (so to say) or new system. Examples off the top of my head include Terry under AVB and Chiellini at a time. However I think defenders' abilities/skills/form is an equally important issue, particularly for our defense. A lot of people blame Nasty's poor form under MP to the 'care-free' approach (i. e the highline without adequate assistance at the center) but ignore the fact that he endured niggling injuries at the time. The care-free approach was an issue no doubt, but injuries and loss of form were also issues. Demi struggled initially but is now doing great under the same care-free system because his abilities shines on. (I personally like the way plays opposing attackers offside) in the case of Komps, even if the system is more conservative, I'm not convinced he'll be much better going by weaknesses he's been showing for some time: ability to organize and lead at the back, poor reading of the game to mention but a few and it was the same Kompany that was more or less our defence in 2013/14. My take on Komps is that he has suffered more due to disruption of form occaisioned by constant injuries overtime and our carefree system has only made it more obvious. I'm not keen on Otamendi but I think we need a good CB especially if we can't get Pogba. If we get Pogba and KDB so that FFP rules make it difficult to sign another CB, I'd be fine and will only hope that the defenders get better support from the CMs.

Last edited:
He's a flashy defender, who likes to go for "extraordinary", and i don't really see him fit into our high-line system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.