Our attack - what's off?

The lack of creativity in the midfield is a major issue. We’re missing David Silva more that most recognise. He was crucial for breaking through the opposition’s midfield line and picking apart their back four. His vision and decision making in the final third was much better than he ever got credit for. We always struggled to break through a low block without him. Whilst Bernardo and Foden have other strengths, neither are consistently effective against a low block.

With regards to the front three, we lack pace and physical strength. None of our options are well-rounded. Sterling lacks in his finishing. Sergio has lost his acceleration. Torres isn’t particularly quick. Mahrez doesn’t suit the way we play and lacks intensity.

I think our best front three is Foden, Jesus and Sterling. It’s just not good enough to compete at the top level. The quality in our squad just isn’t there anymore. The spine of our team is flimsy. Kevin is carrying an enormous weight on his shoulders. He can’t drag us through every game alone. We need a recruitment overhaul and to start bringing in players that actually improve the first eleven.
While i agree on a lot of that, I think our best front 3 is

Sterling - -----Sergio---------Jesus

I agree that Sergio has lost his acceleration though for me that went 2-3 seasons ago and I also agree that injuries will start to take a tole on him...However - he is by far the best finisher we have....he has what Jesus, Sterling both lack in that the are not natural at finishing.....Give Sergio a chance and it invariably ends up int he back of the net....with both Jesus and sterling its 50-50 at best. Sergio's shooting, combined with predatory instincts in the box make him still (even when not at his best) the best option for the centre forward role

Foden should be in the team - but not part of the front 3..he is better in midfield

Jesus has shown that his best performances come from outwide..having sergio there takes the pressure off him a little and gives him someone to link to...his work rate is invaluable and helps push opposition fullbacks back (especially against the likes of liverpool etc)

Torres needs to be brought in slowly - he is looking ok but no more than that at present (Dont care what he is doing for Spain- its how he plays for us that matters)

Mahrez wouldnt even make the subs bench for me - I want him out of the club asap - he has never fitted in and is detrimental to the team when he plays.......bring in Braff/Nmecha to supplement his place - they couldnt do any worse than him

Midfield should be a battle between Foden and Bernardo - As an attacking player Gundogan should NEVER be chosen over those two (presuming KDB is a starter)

at the 6 position its a fight between 3 players, One who we know is used to be supreme at it (Ferna) but cant do it all the time and is at the end of his career) and then 2 players who against average teams manage but against the better teams, struggle hugely and ultimately are not good enough (Gundogan and Rodri)

Back 4 - 2 out of the positions are easy -Walker and Dias are starters...When Ake is fit he should be a real contender for left sided centre half (though Laporte should still keep his place) but also for left back along with Cancello (however ultimately we do need to buy a left back urgently).

Thats my take on it anyway

I remember after about 30 mins KDB running at pace through the midfield, did a side step at pace to create more time and space. In front of him I think he had Jesus and someone else (Torres?) To his left and Bernardo to his right.
He plays the "go on then attack the defender" pass to Bernardo who then takes 10 touches and ends up coming back on himself. That sums our play up at present, lack of intensity, lack of options and lack of directness.
I hope the players and Pep care enough to have a right don't ding with each other to sort it out

7 goals scored in our last 7 league games? Lets party like its 2006
r

I still think the best we’ve looked in attack all season in the league was Wolves away with Fern and Rodri in mid. We created more chances with them winning the ball back and quickly moving it to the front 4.

Surely a change of system is required now, a back 3 with two strikers? But what then do you do with the wingers we have. I remember Pep playing Leroy on the wing vs Everton and it didn’t work out well

I still think the best we’ve looked in attack all season in the league was Wolves away with Fern and Rodri in mid. We created more chances with them winning the ball back and quickly moving it to the front 4.
First half yeah but remember the second half also. They ripped us open and missed a couple easy chances

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.