Our attack - what's off?

Surely a change of system is required now, a back 3 with two strikers? But what then do you do with the wingers we have. I remember Pep playing Leroy on the wing vs Everton and it didn’t work out well

I’m not sure we need a change of formation but we certainly need a change of tact. When team’s sit deep we used to be patient and draw them out. Now we try to force the issue and get nowhere. Why is this? I have no idea. Devoid of confidence or leadership? Maybe both.

I’d also like us to stretch the play more and be more direct and intense in the final 3rd.

I’m not sure we need a change of formation but we certainly need a change of tact. When team’s sit deep we used to be patient and draw them out. Now we try to force the issue and get nowhere. Why is this? I have no idea. Devoid of confidence or leadership? Maybe both.

I’d also like us to stretch the play more and be more direct and intense in the final 3rd.
Our ball retention is what is troubling us vs deep defences, which makes David Silva leaving even more evident. We used too be so good at keeping the ball in the oppo half and eventually we would draw them out. It now seems that we just rush in the final 3rd and we either try and force it or overplay it

We are no longer creating the overload situations. We have all the possession still, same as the last few seasons but now when we get to the edge of the oppos box we simply move the ball from one wing to the other wing looking for a way in.
As others have mentioned playing with inverted wingers, especially when one is mahrez who never uses his right foot, only amplifies this.
We are missing fernandinho big time, his qualities in carrying the ball forwards when the opportunity arises is only really appreciated properly now we have rodri who very rarely does this. I actually do like rodri, I think technically he's exceptional, if only he had a touch of pace. His lack of pace, especially over the initial 15-20 yards really is a huge detriment to us both offensively and defensively.
In this position I prefer gundogan over rodri, as he's a bit more mobile.
The other thing I think we need to do is to start pulling the trigger when near goal. I lose count how many times a game I'm screaming SHOOT! but always wanting another touch, or pull back, and we lose the chance. Something for sure we are missing aguero, he like all top strikers only wants a glimpse of the goal to unleash one.
I know all the above has been repeated already, just adding in my own 2 penneth

Our ball retention is what is troubling us vs deep defences, which makes David Silva leaving even more evident. We used too be so good at keeping the ball in the oppo half and eventually we would draw them out. It now seems that we just rush in the final 3rd and we either try and force it or overplay it
Absolutely this. Playing with your defence 60 yds in front of your goal is only a risky strategy if you don't have the ball.

Why have we got two players who cover the left flank who are right footed? Then the other winger on the other side coming in on his left, the split second to come inside give the defence a brief moment to shuffle everything over and cut off all options. We won the league with a 100 points with two wingers making the pitch massive and stretching teams.
It’s becoming infuriating!

We played our best game tho season with Foden on the left and Sterling on the right against Marseille (granted, they were dreadful!) but we’ve not seen it since.

We are not pressing as well from the front nowadays. Because of this we are not turning the ball over in the right areas so we can catch the opposition on the hop.
We don't hunt players down with any sort of conviction like we used and seem slow to engage them. They break right through us these days. We used to turn the ball over as they were executing a break which allowed us to get more space nearer to goal.
Also even when we do get a chance to take the ball off a player, our midfield and forwards seem weak in the tackle, the opposition seem to win the 50/50's time after time. Think we are not fit enough to play this way anymore, plus we have one or two faint hearts in the team. If you don't press as a team, all together, then it won't work

First half yeah but remember the second half also. They ripped us open and missed a couple easy chances
Tbf it didn’t help that the backline consisted of Mendy, Stones, and Ake making his first appearance. Also, I wonder how differently the match plays out if Pep has a full squad to substitute from. Bringing on Gundo could’ve helped control the game at 2-0. I like Fern and Rodri because it maximizes our players strengths. Foden, De Bruyne, Sterling etc are very good in space and in transitions. With Fern and Rodri we are forced to play a little more off the ball, and if the pressing game is working, we either win the ball up front or cut down attacks in the middle, creating transition opportunities our best attackers can exploit. Perfect example of this I think is the second goal against wolves. Rodri wins the ball back, get its to De Bruyne and they pick the ball out of the net.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.